• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 04:29 PM

I have a cheap harbor freight engine hoist, and it really isn't a bad hoist. it folds up and doesn't take up much space for what it is. Unfortunately, I have a gravel driveway, because of this, wherever I pick something up is where it stays until I set it back down. I was thinking that I could probably put a hitch on the one side, and put some kind of tire on each of the legs that go forward. This way, I can move it around and it will act like a trailer. Of course I am sure I could find many other things to move with it, but I have two engines to move and with my backhoe pretty well stuck, I am trying to find another way to move the engines until it is out.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,476 Thanks
  • 45,969 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 04:34 PM

I built one years ago due to the same issue. Has a 2" ball hitch on it. Not sure where the pics are of it.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 04:46 PM

I built one years ago due to the same issue. Has a 2" ball hitch on it. Not sure where the pics are of it.

Did you put the tires on the outside of the square tubing, or out in front of it? In front of it would be stronger, but on the side is easier. I am afraid that if I put them on the side the tubing will twist.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 10,481 Thanks
  • 5,773 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:02 PM

My portable hoist is green & yellow with an 8' bucket on it!

Grandpa&MasonTractor.jpg

Edited by WNYTractorTinkerer, December 17, 2017 - 05:05 PM.

• Cvans and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,476 Thanks
  • 45,969 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:03 PM

Did you put the tires on the outside of the square tubing, or out in front of it? In front of it would be stronger, but on the side is easier. I am afraid that if I put them on the side the tubing will twist.

They are outside near the end. But I made a new frame out of 3X3 square tube! I finally found a pic.

Image001.jpg

• Bud W, Cvans, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#6 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:05 PM

They are outside near the end. But I made a new frame out of 3X3 square tube!

The original tubing is also 3x3, but pretty thin wall, probably 3/16.

#7 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:10 PM

My portable hoist is green & yellow with an 8' bucket on it!

attachicon.gifGrandpa&MasonTractor.bmp

Yeah my other lift looks something like that, here it is. You can't tell in the picture, but that is a pretty big hill it is sitting at the bottom of. Also, the water table is not far at all below the grade down there, the stream is less than 2 feel lower, so it very rarely dries out completely. I was trying to walk on the slope sideways along the mud, and I slid into it. Getting down was the easy part!! I think to get it out I have to wait for the deep freeze. And I also tried to use both buckets, in both directions with no luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• image-79530.jpeg

• Cvans and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#8 Bill 76 OFFLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,947 Thanks
  • 1,196 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:13 PM

Drill through both sides of the square tubing  and weld in long bolt or what ever your going to use as an axle , that should help keep the box tubing from twisting . Also maybe weld on 1/4 inch plate to the outside of the box tubing to strengthen it up 

#9 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:18 PM

Drill through both sides of the square tubing  and weld in long bolt or what ever your going to use as an axle , that should help keep the box tubing from twisting . Also maybe weld on 1/4 inch plate to the outside of the box tubing to strengthen it up 

I mean over the entire length of the 5 foot leg, it may twist when I pick up a 900 pound engine. I am not so worried about the axle mount itself. Maybe I can pour the tubing full of concrete... but then I will need the lift to pick them up to fold it!! Haha!!

• Bill 76 said thank you

#10 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,402 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 06:15 PM

You could install rubber hand truck wheels on the engine hoist. I have a tongue that attaches to my engine hoist for towing with my GT but the wheels on it dig into gravel as you know. I have the pneumatic wheels with swivel brackets. It’s just not priority today

#11 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 10,481 Thanks
  • 5,773 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 07:35 PM

Yeah my other lift looks something like that, here it is. You can't tell in the picture, but that is a pretty big hill it is sitting at the bottom of. Also, the water table is not far at all below the grade down there, the stream is less than 2 feel lower, so it very rarely dries out completely. I was trying to walk on the slope sideways along the mud, and I slid into it. Getting down was the easy part!! I think to get it out I have to wait for the deep freeze. And I also tried to use both buckets, in both directions with no luck.

Logs or long boards will give you the stability to get things back up..  Another backhoe or large tractor would help a lot too..  

#12 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 07:58 PM

Logs or long boards will give you the stability to get things back up..  Another backhoe or large tractor would help a lot too..  

Like I said, it is pretty well stuck the picture doesn't do it justice. My neighbor tried to pull it with his backhoe, a John Deere 300B. It didn't have enough power, and just stalled. After that, I put one of my buddies in my machine, and I tried to hook my F450 to the front of his backhoe, he stalled and I spun in 4 low, this was also after a few days of 20 degree temps and a few inches of frost.

#13 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,369 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 08:22 PM

You could install rubber hand truck wheels on the engine hoist. I have a tongue that attaches to my engine hoist for towing with my GT but the wheels on it dig into gravel as you know. I have the pneumatic wheels with swivel brackets. It’s just not priority today

I considered that, but I never have good luck with those, they need air every time I want to use them, and after 6 months they only hold air for a couple minutes and need to be replaced.

• Cvans, WNYTractorTinkerer and Jazz have said thanks

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,134 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 10:23 PM

Just a thought but have you tried turning the hoe around and using the loader and bucket to get it out?

they need air every time I want to use them

Isn't that the truth! I think I finally put tubes in mine and now they hold air. 

Edited by Cvans, December 17, 2017 - 10:23 PM.

#15 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,402 Thanks
  • 1,446 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 03:02 PM

I considered that, but I never have good luck with those, they need air every time I want to use them, and after 6 months they only hold air for a couple minutes and need to be replaced.

How about bigger steel wheels. These 8” steel wheels go anywhere. I put big weight on this, V8’ etc and have a tongue on it for towing with GT

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

• KennyP said thank you