29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 02:10 PM

Lined the inside of the chute on the snowcaster on my 1050 with pieces cut out of a snow carpet - the smoother surface improves the distance the snow is thrown.  

You can check out the details here if you are interested - http://gardentractor...h-snow-carpet/ 

Attached Thumbnails

• 3 Inside Of Chute Rusty.jpg
  • 4 Top Piece Of Chute.jpg
  • 5 Chute.jpg
  • 6 Chute Base.jpg
  • 27 Chute Installed Again.jpg
  • 28 Chute Installed Again.jpg
  • 29 Chute Installed Again.jpg

• Bolens 1000, wilberj, propane1 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,632 Thanks
  • 6,438 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 12:01 PM

Now put a good coat of Johnson's Paste Floor Wax on it.  Will make it slicker yet and reduces the snow sticking a bunch.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#3 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,564 Thanks
  • 875 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 12:32 PM

• 29 Chev and Bob E have said thanks

#4 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 05:36 PM

Added rubber to the auger paddles today and then tried the snow caster out for half an hour today in wet snow conditions.  Tried it in snow that was only about 1" deep and then blew a few strips about 10 feet long where the snow was about 6" deep and wet from rain - we got about 1" of snow this morning and then it switched over to a light rain and went up to about 35 degrees F where it has been for most of this afternoon - overall I am quite happy with the results as the snow caster did not plug up once - will see how it stands up over the winter.  I did another post in the thread I started in the Snow Removal Forum if someone wants pictures and more information.

Edited by 29 Chev, December 19, 2017 - 02:41 PM.

• logmillingman said thank you

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 1,618 Thanks
  • 1,619 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 05:56 PM

Exact same weather we had today, you must be not too far away......lol

I did the same this morning, got the driveway cleared before it turned to rain 

• 29 Chev said thank you

#6 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 07:37 PM

It was about 38 degrees F for at least 24 hours and there was an area of the driveway that was slushy and rutted so I decided to try the snowcaster out to see if it would throw wet slushy snow or plug up.  I was quite surprised that it was throwing the slush about 12 feet and did not plug up (made the tractor work a bit though) so I thought I would share a few pictures of the area before and after as well as what the chute opening looked like after using it in the slush.

Attached Thumbnails

• 12 Chute Reinstalled.jpg
  • 13 Slushy Spot To Try It Out.jpg
  • 14 Spot After Using Snow Caster.jpg
  • 15 Snow Caster After Throwing Slush.jpg
  • 16 Chute Opening.jpg
  • 17 Slush Removed From Chute Area.jpg

• poncho62, Cvans, Austen and 2 others have said thanks

#7 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 1,618 Thanks
  • 1,619 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 08:17 PM

More snow coming next few days....you should get lots of testing in.... :thumbs:

• Austen and 29 Chev have said thanks

#8 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 09:35 AM

More snow coming next few days....you should get lots of testing in.... :thumbs:

I was hoping winter was over with the milder weather - guess not huh?  Oh well it will give me a chance to see how the snow carpet stands up with some use.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#9 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 12:55 PM

Got about 3" of fresh snow last night so I tried the snow caster out in it today.  I posted a video in the thread (post #33) in the snow removal forum if anyone is interested in seeing how the snow caster worked with the modifications - I am quite happy with the results.  

http://gardentractor...-carpet/page-3 

Edited by 29 Chev, December 22, 2017 - 12:56 PM.

• logmillingman and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10 Cnc ONLINE  

Cnc
  • Member No: 86139
  • 65 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 02:14 PM

Guess there is a reason other than save money that many new walk behind blowers come with a plastic chute. I bought one a few years back and the chute rarely plugs. Having said that I cleared 1/2 dozen or so driveways for years with my Massy blower and or plow. The blower never did like wet snow especially if the snow was not deep. I would mostly use the plow in the wet stuff and blower in the dryer stuff but one thing that really helped the blower in the wet was spraying silicone spray on the auger and chute. It would only last about 20 minutes or so but a quick shot of spray and it wouldn't clog for another bit. These days I have the Massy dedicated to plowing if the snow is wet and the Bolens which is a recent acquisition to blowing the deeper dryer snow falls.
  • 29 Chev said thank you

#11 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 11:07 AM

Got about 3" of snow last night and I had a helper to run the video camera for a few minutes so made a video of the snow caster clearing snow using the 1050.  The rubber I used on the paddles was old and brittle so it broke off in small chunks which resulted in a bit of vibration as the auger was not quite balanced.  Cut up an old front tire with the saws all, made new rubber pieces and installed them late last week - they seem to be standing up nicely and the snow carpet is staying put in the chute. 

Attached Files

• Cvans, Leonard VanCamp, logmillingman and 1 other said thanks

#12 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,692 Thanks
  • 1,289 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 11:46 AM

Nice.    Don

• 29 Chev said thank you

#13 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 1,250 Thanks
  • 1,109 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 12:09 PM

Looks like it does quite well nice video.

• 29 Chev said thank you

#14 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • 1,618 Thanks
  • 1,619 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 01:14 PM

Thought I would bump this thread up.....How are you making out with the plastic in the chute?

On my blower, I have been using almost daily of late, another 6 inches or so this morning. Its a bit warmer, so the snow is getting on the heavy side. In the fall, I added rubber belting to my single stage auger and put a liberal coat of Rustoleum on the inside of the chute. 

Last year, my chute was clogging constantly, this year, it hasn't clogged yet......makes me happy. 

• 29 Chev said thank you

#15 29 Chev ONLINE  

29 Chev

A Little Off Plumb

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,095 Thanks
  • 2,675 posts

Posted January 08, 2018 - 01:34 PM

Thought I would bump this thread up.....How are you making out with the plastic in the chute?

On my blower, I have been using almost daily of late, another 6 inches or so this morning. Its a bit warmer, so the snow is getting on the heavy side. In the fall, I added rubber belting to my single stage auger and put a liberal coat of Rustoleum on the inside of the chute. 

Last year, my chute was clogging constantly, this year, it hasn't clogged yet......makes me happy. 

Just got done giving the 1050 and the snow caster a good work out - started at 7:45 am and got done blowing snow about 12:00 pm (800 foot laneway plus paths around the house and out to the bird feeder.  The temperature was about 26 degrees F when I started and the snow fairy gave us about 5" of snow last night.  :(  Stayed snowing until about 10:30 am and as the morning progressed the temperature climbed to 32 degrees F and the snow was getting wet and sticking to the hood of the tractor and the outside of the snow caster.  Had about 15" of snow for about 10 feet out at the road as the wind was busy last night and early this morning (had to stop a couple of times to top the fuel tank up to make sure I didn't run out of gas).  It was slow going as it takes more power to move the wet stuff but the snow caster worked great and was throwing the wet stuff very nicely.  It never plugged up at all as it has done in these temperatures other years.  I checked the chute a couple of times and there was hardly any snow sticking to it inside.  By the time I was done my gloves were soaking wet as well as my insulated coveralls and I was beginning to feel the dampness but now that I am out of them and have on dry clothing it feels much better.

Edited by 29 Chev, January 08, 2018 - 01:35 PM.

• poncho62, Leonard VanCamp and Mark 149 J. have said thanks