• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,678 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:50 AM

what is this stuff? can i use something else that's more commonly available in its place?  what do other  worm drive gearboxes use?

I know from my  jeeps  and stick shift  Dakota that they don't want standard  80w90 gear lube  because it  dies something to the syncros which are made of brass like the driven gear in this gearbox.  GM and Mopar both call for  Pennzoil synchromesh fluid  which I have here.

I also have a bag of some sort of  Tecumseh/peerless  grease  that came in a box lot from an auction,  it's Tecumseh  p/n 788067A.

What's THIS stuff??? When I found it in the box after I won it at the sale I wondered what if anything I'd ever use it for. It was in a box lot that I got for something else that was in there.

I also have a John Deere  828D walk behind  that's built by ariens for Deere with what looks like the same cast iron gearbox as this ariens  attachment that I am putting back together. So it wouldn't hurt to know what will work in there  as I can probably use the same stuff in both down the road. 

#2 Wm McNett OFFLINE  

Wm McNett

• Member No: 1428
  • 127 Thanks
  • 169 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 10:35 AM

The Ariens L3 stuff is top shelf. It's a proprietary synthetic 75W-140 GL5 MT1 with a special EP formulation.

http://www.snowblowe...ml#/topics/3545

http://gardentractor...box-lubricants/

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#3 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,678 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 10:52 AM

Everyone says their stuff is "top shelf" whether it is or not. I'm thinking that Mobil stuff referenced  in the thread you linked to from this site sounds like a winner.

I still wonder what that Tecumseh stuff is...... hopefully not  "waste oil jug" fill

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,429 Thanks
  • 9,379 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 11:01 AM

Everyone says their stuff is "top shelf" whether it is or not. I'm thinking that Mobil stuff referenced  in the thread you linked to from this site sounds like a winner.

I still wonder what that Tecumseh stuff is...... hopefully not  "waste oil jug" fill

Look in the Peerless/Tecumseh Transmission manuals in our Manuals Section. It is probably for filling transaxles when you service them. Mine is in tubes to make it easy to fill the bottom half of the transaxle case. Older lubricants are generally not as good as the new ones but the old containers are still useable and are nice decorations in the shop. Good Luck, Rick

#5 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,571 Thanks
  • 1,370 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 11:08 AM

Tecumseh Bentonite Grease 788067 788067C Lubricant Gear Box Lube Peerless Trans, this is on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com...s-/360553330996

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,678 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:36 PM

ok we have found some Tecumseh lube for sale.... what is it, and would it work in my current asked-about application???   I don't mean to sound "bad" in asking, but I am more than curious partly because I'd like to put it to use other than as a dust collector.... but WON'T, if it won't work.....

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,678 Thanks
  • 3,329 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 02:05 PM

broke down and bough a bottle of "their" crap.....  I see Jack's has it available by the gallon at well over $100/per..... no I didn't splurge that much.