#1 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 13,323 Thanks
  • 9,788 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:11 AM

It's Christmas and we all like to get tools and there is a push to buy cordless drills and such. I'm still nervous about lithium ion batteries; too many bad stories. What do you suppose is the chance of a charging battery setting your shop on fire?

Edited by LilysDad, December 17, 2017 - 09:13 AM.

• Cvans, boyscout862, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#2 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,231 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:22 AM

slim to none, the lithium poly batteries are the ones to watch out for not the ion ones if your worried just store your batteries inside a fireproof strong box
  • Gtractor, grnspot110, Alc and 5 others have said thanks

#3 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,667 Thanks
  • 3,118 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Very slim if you get a decent name brand tool set.

They have individually sealed 18650 Li Ion battery cells in them with overcharge and heat and short circuit protection and charge balancing circuits built in to the battery and chargers.

The large single cell Lithium Polymer batteries in Phones and tablets and newer laptop PCs and especially those cheap Chinese no name brand Hover-boards are the ones that you have to watch out for. Those can go BOOM in a big way.  My old Li Po phone battery was starting to swell so I took it outside and whacked it with a ball peen and it immediately caught on fire and turned into a little flame thrower.  

I have a bunch of spare 18650 batteries sitting around for my 3 18650 powered flashlights and I've never had one get hot unless I short one out intentionally. Then they get very hot, real quick and blow the end out of the cell.  But I haven't had one catch fire even dead shorted. Once the top pops off and pressure is released they cool down quick.  My spare cells are all out of old laptop batteries. I have a couple dozen of them sitting on my work bench that I've been playing around with.  Same cells that's in my Porter Cable 20v max Li Ion drill and impact driver set.

I LOVE my little 20v 1/4" impact gun. It has enough snot to tear apart Any small engine. I can literally tear any old single cylinder engine completely apart in under 10 minutes with it. Mine isn't quite as good as the new Milwaukee set but it's very similar to the Dewalt 20v max set.

Edited by EricFromPa, December 17, 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• Alc, jms180, Cvans and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,335 Thanks
  • 4,956 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 11:00 AM

Those 1/2" high torque Milwaukee Fuel cordless impacts are AMAZING!!!  

We have one at work and it'll remove lug nuts on semi's, motor graders, and tractors that I can't remove with a 3/4" drive breaker bar and a 6 foot cheater pipe with my 300 pounds bouncing on the end. 

Absolutely amazing!!!!

Milwaukee even has a higher torque model since we got ours. 

I have the Dewalt 20V max setup here at home and its been a good set.

Never any battery problems but  I've seen 9 volt and double A disposable batteries that were tossed in the trash that got hotter than heck and very easily could have started a fire if not caught.  When I take a battery out of something it goes outside right then, never thrown in the trash.

• Alc, Cvans and LilysDad have said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 13,323 Thanks
  • 9,788 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 01:26 PM

I've never heard of lithium polymer. The news calls everything lithium ion. Thanks for the education.

• shorty and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#6 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,501 Thanks
  • 1,818 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 04:45 PM

I've never heard of lithium polymer. The news calls everything lithium ion. Thanks for the education.

I have a Ryobi setup with a charger that switches to maintain automatically. There's a ton of safety features considering most people pay no attention while batteries are charging. Hence the previous problems. I also have a 3/8 Ryobi impact and that thing is awesome. I use it all the time!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, December 17, 2017 - 04:46 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#7 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 2,231 Thanks
  • 1,596 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:02 PM

your cellphone/smartphone is more dangerous charging than one of those tools, my r/c helicopters use lithium poly batteries, those you have be careful with, I charge them outside and store in a metal box away from everything
  • Alc said thank you

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,938 Thanks
  • 1,192 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:30 PM

Call me cautious but I never leave cordless tool chargers plugged in after the battery is charged , when I'm done for the day I take the batteries out and unplug the charger , I did have one go up in smoke on me , didn't start on fire . But  one less thing for me to worry about .  

• Gtractor, Alc and Cvans have said thanks

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Millennium Falcon

• Contributor
  • 13,323 Thanks
  • 9,788 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 05:52 PM

Call me cautious but I never leave cordless tool chargers plugged in after the battery is charged , when I'm done for the day I take the batteries out and unplug the charger , I did have one go up in smoke on me , didn't start on fire . But  one less thing for me to worry about .  

See, see!​ There you go. I told you those tools will get'cha all killed!!!

• KennyP, Cvans and Bill 76 have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,918 Thanks
  • 5,972 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 09:55 PM

Those 1/2" high torque Milwaukee Fuel cordless impacts are AMAZING!!!
We have one at work and it'll remove lug nuts on semi's, motor graders, and tractors that I can't remove with a 3/4" drive breaker bar and a 6 foot cheater pipe with my 300 pounds bouncing on the end.
Absolutely amazing!!!!
Milwaukee even has a higher torque model since we got ours.

I have the Dewalt 20V max setup here at home and its been a good set.
Never any battery problems but I've seen 9 volt and double A disposable batteries that were tossed in the trash that got hotter than heck and very easily could have started a fire if not caught. When I take a battery out of something it goes outside right then, never thrown in the trash.

Milwaukee fuels are amazing. We have a 3/4" that is tough as nails. We used it One day to shove in pusher bolts shoving a 10.25" ID bearing on a shaft. We ran 8 batteries through it pushing that bearing in. It was so hot we had to use welding gloves to hold the impact. We thought for sure we killed it. It was smoking.

We are still using that same impact. Never hurt it a bit.

As far as batteries I have been using Dewalt, Milwaukee, craftsman ECT for years. I leave my personal batteries on charge for long periods of time. Never had an issue.
  • olcowhand and Gtractor have said thanks