Continental AU7R Red Seal Engine Parts Needed

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Vrdaddy ONLINE  

• Member No: 86662
  • 122 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 07:36 AM

Hey all, Anyone know where to find parts anymore for these Continental small engines? eBay and the rest of the internet is drawing a blank on parts availability, I did find websites for some businesses carrying parts for "obsolete" Continental Red Seal "industrial" engines but nothing for these little single cylinders. Also..... Anyone know how to figure out how old this engine is? I know most engine manufacturers put date codes on the serial number tag in some form or another, My engine's tag gives the model:AU7R spec.no.:A 350 s/n:408325 . Whether the date code is in either the spec.no. or the s/n i'm not sure, ANY help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Edited by Vrdaddy, December 17, 2017 - 07:38 AM.

• chris m said thank you

#2 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,395 Thanks
  • 690 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 08:45 AM

Looks like a nice little engine

By appearance in guessing that would date back to the 40's

If you can date the tractor by its serial number I would say good chance the engine  being the same year

For parts, may have to find another or try to fix or make the ones needed or adapt something to work

The designer of the engine in those days must be thrilled we are still using them, wanting to fix them unlike most of the new cheap junk out there today

• Vrdaddy said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,257 Thanks
  • 9,305 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:00 AM

There are three Continental Engine Manuals on this page  http://gardentractor...engine-manuals/   . Download them for your use.  Check with the big places that still sell Continental engine parts. Sometimes they have the smaller engine parts but so few that they don't bother to list them in their inventory. You need to get lucky and find an old timer working there who will dig out the parts. It has happened to me. Also some parts are used by more than one company. Good Luck, Rick

• James Bosma and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#4 chris m OFFLINE  

chris m

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,338 Thanks
  • 4,064 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 10:18 AM

Did a little research this AM. Looks like Deco-Grand took over these engines and they are popular with the Quater Midget guys. 

Here is a little info http://classic-engin...-grand-engines/

With a little more digging you might find a Quater Midget sight that has parts?

Good luck!

• Vrdaddy said thank you

#5 Vrdaddy ONLINE  

• 122 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 11:30 AM

thanks for taking the time to look, I appreciate it. I found a really cool site it's called "old paths equiptment",they have some of these engines there.

#6 Vrdaddy ONLINE  

• 122 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted December 20, 2017 - 01:25 PM

Tore apart flywheel cover and the flywheel yesterday and to my surprise, I was blowed away by the condition of the back plate holding the points/condenser/ & coil. The patent date says 1938, can you go by that to judge the manufacturer date? I'm posting pictures of the engine, I can't figure out what the number 39 that is visible on the block is for.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171219_144623.jpg
  • IMG_20171219_144425.jpg
  • IMG_20171219_144329.jpg
  • IMG_20171219_144410.jpg
  • IMG_20171219_144534.jpg