34 replies to this topic

#1 1940Twin OFFLINE  

1940Twin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 64862
  • 113 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:41 PM

I'm currently looking into having some Standard Twin steel wheel pyramid lugs reproduced. The lugs on my one twin are completely worn down into the hollow center section and I'd like to have some authentic lugs to replace then with when I restore it. I've got a contact at a foundry and we're going to start designing the casting tooling. The tooling will be modeled in 3D CAD, then the intent is to use 3D print technology to create the core boxes and mold pattern.

The issue that I'm facing is that the wear on the lugs on both of the steel wheeled Twins that I own is such that it may be difficult to accurately reverse engineer the lugs to their original dimensions. I would like to inquire if anyone has a Twin where the pyramid lugs have minimal wear and would be willing to let me borrow one or two to get some accurate measurements. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by 1940Twin, December 16, 2017 - 08:31 PM.

• Rustysteele said thank you

#2 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • Member No: 72710
  • 292 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 08:19 PM

I think I have a can of these lugs somewhere, as I remember they aren`t very worn. I`ll look tomorrow and see if I can find them and send you one. It would be great to have a source for these lugs!

• Alc and 1940Twin have said thanks

#3 1940Twin OFFLINE  

1940Twin
  • Contributor
  • 113 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 11:56 PM

I think I have a can of these lugs somewhere, as I remember they aren`t very worn. I`ll look tomorrow and see if I can find them and send you one. It would be great to have a source for these lugs!

That would be great! I was planning on having at least two sets produced (84 lugs total). If there is interest from others I can certainly plan to have more produced.

#4 Bob White12 OFFLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 134 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 12:15 PM

those casting might be pretty useful if you make em. are you going to make them cast iron or cast aluminum? 

• 1940Twin said thank you

#5 1940Twin OFFLINE  

1940Twin
  • Contributor
  • 113 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 02:07 PM

The lugs would be produced from cast iron. Without going through a complete (and costly) metallurgical analysis, this is what we suspect the the original lugs were cast from.

Edited by 1940Twin, December 18, 2017 - 02:08 PM.

#6 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • 292 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 07:51 AM

I finally found the can of lugs I have. I picked this one out as the least worn, it looks like it might even be NOS. If this one will work for you, let me know and PM me your address, I`ll ship it out to you so you can use it as a pattern. I`ll pay the shipping out to you and you can pay the shipping back. I would be interested in a set of these lugs too, depending on the price.DSCN5881.JPG DSCN5882.JPG

• DougT and 1940Twin have said thanks

#7 1940Twin OFFLINE  

1940Twin
  • Contributor
  • 113 Thanks
  • 50 posts

Posted December 22, 2017 - 03:40 PM

I finally found the can of lugs I have. I picked this one out as the least worn, it looks like it might even be NOS. If this one will work for you, let me know and PM me your address, I`ll ship it out to you so you can use it as a pattern. I`ll pay the shipping out to you and you can pay the shipping back. I would be interested in a set of these lugs too, depending on the price.attachicon.gifDSCN5881.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN5882.JPG

PM sent. Thanks.

Attached is a picture of one of the lugs from my 1938 Twin. There's much more wear to it than the one that you have. One interesting difference is your lug does not seem to have the prominent miss-match line on the lower inside face where the halves of the core came together. Most of the Twin lugs that I have seen have this mis-match feature in this area. I'm not sure it is NOS simply because of the amount of wear in the tip in comparison to what is shown in some of the Standard Twin literature (actual pictures, not the drawings). As noted in my PM however the walls and inner pocket of the lug you have look to be in good condition and will help with reverse engineering the design.

I've also attached a picture of a tractor that I found for sale earlier this year with lugs that look like they don't have much wear all. Unfortunately the seller was not interested in selling any of the lugs separately from the rest of the tractor. I'm going to look at calculating the theoretical "like new" height of the lugs by using the base width and outside surface angle and see if it comes to a logical number, such as 2.5" or 3", etc. The width of the lug tips in the picture look to be 0.25" or so, so I will factor this in as well.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG5799.jpg
  • received_409095652772132.jpeg

Edited by 1940Twin, December 22, 2017 - 03:57 PM.

#8 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • 292 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 02:50 PM

I do have a never used extension rim from a Standard twin, at least it looks like it was never used. I`ll dig it out tomorrow, if the lugs look better, I`ll send you one of those instead. I doubt that these lugs had a sharp top to them, it would wear down too quickly in the field, I could see maybe a little more than the one I posted.

#9 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 9,341 Thanks
  • 4,958 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 03:18 PM

My extension rim lugs are much newer/longer/sharper than the regular wheel lugs.

Not a very good pic but its crammed in a shed and I had to climb on other tractors to get to it. 

Attached Thumbnails

• twin lug.jpg

• KennyP and 1940Twin have said thanks

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,979 Thanks
  • 10,006 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 03:50 PM

crammed in a shed and I had to climb on other tractors to get to it. 

Can we get a pic of that?

• Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#11 Rustysteele OFFLINE  

Rustysteele
  • 292 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 05:04 PM

Gtractor, what tractor is that on? That is more slender than the usual ones.

#12 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,341 Thanks
  • 4,958 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 05:29 PM

1936 Standard Twin

Attached Thumbnails

• standard twin.jpg

#13 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,341 Thanks
  • 4,958 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Can we get a pic of that?

Here you go Cat.  The flash didn't go off.  Sorry! 

black.jpg

• KennyP, Cat385B, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#14 DougT OFFLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 6,928 Thanks
  • 4,996 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 06:30 PM

I would have to do some checking but I think they offered different lugs in the catalog.

• 1940Twin and Rustysteele have said thanks

#15 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

G-agressive tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,341 Thanks
  • 4,958 posts

Posted December 24, 2017 - 02:11 PM

Gtractor, what tractor is that on? That is more slender than the usual ones.

They are just like the lugs shown on the tractor in post 7.  The extension rims haven't been on my tractor all its life as the lugs are much less worn than the lugs on the main wheels - although the lugs are otherwise the same. 

?????

Edited by Gtractor, December 25, 2017 - 08:31 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: standard twin, pyramid lugs