• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 EvinrudeBigtwin OFFLINE  

EvinrudeBigtwin
  • Member No: 89128
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 04:58 PM

The PTO clutch in my 812 finally wore out.  The tractor is powered by a Kohler K301 12 hp engine.  I have a transmission and engine assembly from a G 16,18,20 ( not sure what tractor it came from)  with a good PTO clutch inside.  I removed the Kohler twin from the transmission and measured the PTO remaining and there is more than enough to outlast me.  I removed the transmission from the 812 and installed the one from the G onto the frame.  I then bolted the K301 to the G's transmission using the shims, bearings and gear that were on the K301.  Once I filled the transmission with 10W-30 and started the engine I now have a loud whine that gets louder when I increase the RPM's and the PTO is stuck in the on position. As far as the whine goes I have ruled out the forward and reverse clutches.  I hope the problem is by me using the shims, bearing and gear from the original 812's transmission I have incorrectly loaded the input.  Its been many years since I have been inside a Gravely transmission.  I am hoping to avoid that.   Any thoughts?

• KennyP said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,148 Thanks
  • 46,773 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 05:19 PM

Never been there, but here's a link to some good Gravely manuals. Hope this helps!

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,457 Thanks
  • 1,144 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 06:12 PM

Did you use the original gear that mounted to the engine with its original trans. Some wear funny and don't like being swapped. Do you also have the correct distance from the adapter plate to the end of the gear. I forgot off the top of my head what it is. I repower a gravely with a Honda gx670 and it's pretty easy to swap engine on these. My bet is one to many shims or not enough and you not meshing correctly

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,690 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:03 PM

There should be a bearing in the PTO clutch hub so that the hub can spin separate from the crank for the times you don't have the clutch engaged, otherwise you have direct drive. That bearing could be bad, most probably clutches I have been around, that bearing can be popped out and replaced, even if it doesn't show up on the parts diagram. And if it is a typical ball bearing it should have a number on it that can be cross referenced.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,690 Thanks
  • 3,345 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:07 PM

I have messed with several old Evinrude outboards and currently don't have a boat but have a couple of them. Isn't the"big twin" model a 25hp? Just going by your screen name....