• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,480 Thanks
  • 4,040 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:02 PM

If it was me. I would bend it back into shape and reweld, then bronze the worn parts and hand file until I could slip a bearing from the wheel over the spindle. That’s just me. I have welders and tools. I’m not professional, but I can fix some things.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 FixItCharlie OFFLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 518 Thanks
  • 336 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 11:29 PM

I will be watching this as I know that the spindles on my LGT 100 closed side will need more repair or replacing. The axle felt like there was bushing where the spindles go. Looking at the parts list it shows that the LGT 195 does have bushing for the spindles. I have also been looking at this web site for some ideas http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com at the spindle upgrades. I have a complete front axle for the LGT 145 open side so when time for repair of it I will have spare parts, but finding spare parts for the closed side tractors seems to be more difficult.

Charlie 

• KennyP said thank you

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 37,526 Thanks
  • 45,524 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 06:07 AM

Could replace the bad part. 3/4" round bar stock and a torch to heat and bend it in a vice.

This should work. 3 foot of 3/4" cold rolled for $15

https://www.fastenal...nd Bar Stock"|~

That could work.

I will be watching this as I know that the spindles on my LGT 100 closed side will need more repair or replacing. The axle felt like there was bushing where the spindles go. Looking at the parts list it shows that the LGT 195 does have bushing for the spindles. I have also been looking at this web site for some ideas http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com at the spindle upgrades. I have a complete front axle for the LGT 145 open side so when time for repair of it I will have spare parts, but finding spare parts for the closed side tractors seems to be more difficult. Keep the ideas coming folks!

Charlie 

I have thought about this idea also.

I really do not have a use for this Ford/Jake axle. It's just spare parts at the moment. My main thought was to find an easy way to fix these spindles as they seem to break easily where that 5/16" roll pin goes through the steering arm assy. With this one being bent/worn/broken at both ends, it becomes an issue I hate to put too many dollars into. I'll need to think about this!

• bengriswold said thank you

#19 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,480 Thanks
  • 4,040 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 07:53 AM

Where the 5/16 went through the steering arm and spindle, I drilled through both and tapped through both and put a bolt in with a nut on the other end. That was a number of years ago. Still holding but a little play in it now. Can’t remember what size bolt I used.

Noel
  • KennyP said thank you