• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rking.1688 OFFLINE  

rking.1688
  • Member No: 86668
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 07:17 PM

I scored a Yanmar L70 today. It needs a little TLC, but nothing major...really just a few missing parts. I am set to pick up a Panzer some time in the next month or so and thought about putting the diesel motor in it. Do you guys think that is doable, or should I do something different? The gentleman that I’m buying the Panzer off of also has quite a few Wheel Horse tractors for sale.

Any thoughts on what would make a cool swap, I’d be interested in hearing. I know it won’t fit in my ‘62 Bolens I’m working on now...so might as well line the next one up!
  • Cvans and pryan05 have said thanks

#2 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,366 Thanks
  • 5,231 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 07:42 PM

I have always wanted to put a diesel into a power king. Being that they are shaft driven, with automotive transmissions and oversized mechanicals (for a gt) I think that you would actually be able to use the diesel to its full potential without as much concern of breaking something.

• Cvans, boyscout862 and pryan05 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,862 Thanks
  • 9,174 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 07:50 PM

I would agree that the diesel should go into a larger GT. Good Luck, Rick

• pryan05 said thank you

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 6,649 Thanks
  • 6,130 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 10:19 PM

Before you make any decisions why don't you get the engine running and make sure it's in good shape.

As to what I'd put it in, from my experience I'd go with a Wheel Horse. The belt drive makes the swap easy and the results very nice. Several have made this swap with excellent results. I would avoid a Hydro as they soak up a lot of horsepower and what you have available is limited. 

If you want something different than do the Panzer. I think you'll find that it is going to be a lot more work though. 

Edited by Cvans, December 15, 2017 - 10:22 PM.

• boyscout862 and pryan05 have said thanks

#5 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 824 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 09:33 AM

I stuffed a Yanmar L70ae into a Wheel Horse Commando 8, works perfectly.  I mow the yard, push snow and cruise around at shows.       Mike.    

Resized_20171103_113807.jpg

• KennyP and Cushman fixer have said thanks

#6 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 824 Thanks
  • 685 posts

Posted January 14, 2018 - 11:13 AM

You do have to be carefull in our choice, depending what you want to use the tractor for.  The Yanmar and clones of such are NOT designed to have the crankshaft end loaded.   Like would happen on a later model Wheel Horse that uses the stepped WH clutch set up.  For that application, you would need to put an electric PTO clutch on the motor to retain that function.   Mine is an earlier model that uses a short belt from the crankshaft pulley to the mower deck with a tensioner set up to engage the mower deck.  She is my all around work Horse, there isn't much she cannot do.   Your side winder belt dries like Wheel Horses are the easiest to repower, shaft drives take a bit more fab work to make a shaft mount to the motor.   Sears, while a sidewinder drive, have a very tight engine bay on most models, so measure carefully.      Mike the Aspie

• KennyP and Cvans have said thanks