#31 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 24, 2012 - 05:40 PM

Jim, i feel you there with the projects, one step at a time i keep telling myself but :confuse:
That oil well project of yours sounds like fun, if you still have it it would be neat to see pic's of it, American pride and remembrance of the twin towers.
I have a basket case 1918 T Touring i have been wanting to re-assemble for my grandmother someday who use to restore them with her (my great grandfather) father in the late 40's and 50's, her first car to drive to school was a 1916 T Roadster with the brass rad.
How is your DB going so far, have you tried out the clutch yet ?
  • junker said thank you

#32 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 27, 2012 - 09:24 PM

Hello people, New Member here. I have been following this site for awhile now and thought I would join. Seems to be alot of nice folks here and alot of knowledge also. Wanted to reply to the number of ball bearings in the ball lock clutch. Seems that 11, 10 or 9 is the magic numbers. I wanted to let you know that I have 2 NOS packages of ball bearings that I acquired in box of DB parts awhile back. Each unopened package has 12 balls in it. Don't know if they just packaged in 12's or that is what was in the clutches to begin with. I know there is room for 12 in the clutch assembly. Could be it was just the assembler at the factory. I took a clutch apart last week for a restoration ( Model 575100) and it had 10 balls in it. Also, a friend of mine awhile back disasembled a clutch and it only had 4 balls in it and it stiil was working at the time. I'm wondering if over time that they could wear down and simply fall out? Anyways, I could ramble on for hours a so I will close for now. Dave

#33 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 08:32 AM

Dave, sorry i missed you yesterday, a Big Welcome to GT Talk, glad you made the step to join and at the right time too.
You can go up to 14 balls with no troubles, my uncle has done it before, i would not but just get that out there it can and has been done, as for the NOS 12 balls i would assume the 12th is extra in case one is lost, i also heard that the Suburbans took 12 balls but can not confirm that, Lauber1 is the DB Suburban expert and hopefully will correct me regarding that statment.
As for the 4 balls, more than likely the rest was lost or egg-shaped and gave a lot of trouble and promply removed, as the years go by the clutch needs to be adjusted in to keep from slipping and the thrust-washer wears down resulting in the 4 balls. The same could of happened with your friend's clutch with the 10 balls, time changes things, the balls can still be ordered new from Sears to this day or from any other Co. that makes ball-bearings as long as you can give them the size.
Rambling it not a problem here Dave, as you see i type up some long winded posts, if it's something you love and enjoy, then please, type it out.
I hope this helps and again, Dave, Welcome to GT Talk.
  • PaPasTractor said thank you

#34 PaPasTractor OFFLINE  

PaPasTractor
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9237
  • 197 Thanks
  • 158 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 11:05 AM

Trowel, Thank you for the welcome and the info. I have come to the conclusion that DB collecting / restoring is a desease and its a wonder to me that it is not listed in the Medical Digest. LOL Anyways thanks again and I am sure I will see you around in the future. Dave
  • trowel said thank you

#35 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 29, 2012 - 12:53 PM

Something that was passed down to me, inherited diseases an i enjoy every min of it :thumbs:
See you around :smilewink:

#36 junker OFFLINE  

junker
  • Member No: 8973
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted May 21, 2012 - 10:06 PM

I have been so busy I haven't been on for a while. I especially want to thank Trowel and Lauber 1 and the others who helped me so much. Once I got my clutch right it works perfect. I have added more JUNK I mean neat stuff to my pile. Namely an Alenax bicycle. You pump it up and down instead of around. You can look it up online. I have also aquired an old stump cutoff saw. It has large bike looking tires. It has about a 20 inch round blade that can sit flat on the ground or turned up to about 45 degrees. It has power feed to the wheels. I am guessing it was made in the 1930's. I have no idea on the manufactorer. I guess I will paint it DB colors (red and green) Hope you are all doing well. Junker Jim