35 replies to this topic

#1 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4489
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 11:37 AM

I am restoring 2 DB walk behinds, and I cannot seem to figure out how to get the clutch unit and pulley off. I looked in the manual, and it says there is a clamp ring with an allen screw that you take loose, but mine does not seem to have that. There is a hole that seems to have a pin in it, but it does not appear to have an allen head, and it does not tap out either. Any words of wisdom on this?

Edited by MH81, July 01, 2011 - 05:30 PM.

#2 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1918
  • 155 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:17 PM

Any one I have taken apart had at least one Allen Key, sometimes even two, they are Not easy to see and so you have to just keep trying different size keys in the hole until you find the one that fits snug. Can you tell us what the Model #'s are, that info may help.

#3 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:53 PM

Any one I have taken apart had at least one Allen Key, sometimes even two, they are Not easy to see and so you have to just keep trying different size keys in the hole until you find the one that fits snug. Can you tell us what the Model #'s are, that info may help.

I have a 917.57561, and a 915.5751

#4 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 155 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 02:35 PM

I have Both of these model tractors and just looked at them. The 561 should Have 2 Holes in the Outer Clutch Plate, there should be aAllen set Swrew In One Of those Holes, You should see thread for one in the holes...If There is No Set screw, chances are someone else took it out and did not know how to progress on to the next step on taking the clutch apart. You Must Hold the Inner bigger ring, usually silver in color, while turning the outer ring, usually red in color, loose. However, On the 751 there should only be one hole that goes all the way through the outer red plate, there should be a Pin in there that you can punch out. ( unless someone else allready has.) I will take some close up pics and post them asap. Hope this helps.
  • Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#5 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 155 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 02:50 PM

Here are the close up Pics, Hope These help you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 561.jpg
  • Clutch751.jpg
  • 751  Pin Removed.jpg
  • Clutch 561.jpg
  • Clutch plate 561.jpg

• Bolens 1000 and MH81 have said thanks

#6 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 01:08 AM

Thank you DanO! Now I can see what I am doing. The picture were very helpful. Now if I can just get that pin out.....

#7 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 155 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:41 AM

On the 751 's I have had Pins half broken in there and just drilled them out. Since the Hole goes all the way through, No harm Done at all in doing that, actually less than Beating the crap out of it and possibly damaging it i think and it gives you a clean hole for a New Pin to be inserted later. Good Luck
  • sdevine said thank you

#8 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 10:29 PM

Thanks DanO- I ended up drilling it out and the remnants came right out. I am finishing up cleaning the thing up and getting it ready for a coat of paint. Is it a good idea to replace the seals on the dive axle, and I am supposing I will have to make my own gaskets- I cracked open the transmission to inspect and of course tore up the gasket.

#9 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 155 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 06, 2011 - 06:27 AM

Yes, New Gaskets are nearly impossible to find anywhere but it's not that difficult to make your own, just a little time consuming. Sounds like you're doing a thorough job, hope your taking some pics or video to share, look foward to seeing your completed project. Good Luck, DanO'

#10 sdevine OFFLINE  

sdevine

• Contributor
  • 56 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hey Dan O-

Yes, I am documenting- I am making a DIY show, and the first project is restoring the DB. I am more of a woodworker than I am mechanic, so I appreciate your input. I will post the show web address when we are ready to publish. Say, I am trying to remove the axle seals on the transmission, and this has proved a little difficult. I took the transmission cover off, and tried to tap the seal out with a screwdriver from the inside. Do I need to press them out? Can that brass guide/bearing stay in place? How do you usually get those things out?

#11 DanO OFFLINE  

DanO

Greasemonkey

• Contributor
  • 155 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted July 15, 2011 - 06:26 PM

I have only replaced seals 2 times in all the years I've been messin' with these Db's. It is a PAIN to Do. Very Slow tidious process. As I recall I was not very successful tapping it all out and had to allmost Dig them out with a Screwdriver, chipping away as I went. As I recall They are also a 3 piece or 3 layer seal and depending how Dry they have been run, they are tough to get out. If you haven't gotten the new seals yet the original # was 4280M at sear Direct .com the replacement # was 3311223 Cost was just about $10.00 I remember I had to double them up because they were much thinner then the original seals. I don't believe i removed any other parts to do it and I definitely did NOT use a Press. When everything is cleaned up the New ones should go in rather easy
. In my notes i have a, NAPA also had a Part # 11223 for replacement seals. Not sure what is or isn't still available. Good Luck

#12 junker OFFLINE  

junker
  • Member No: 8973
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 09:39 AM

You should never put two set screws in the outer plate. There are two holes so you can adjust it in smaller increments. There are flats in the threaded inner hub, The one with the roll pin., You want to use the threaded hole that lines up with the flat. Otherwise the set screw will damage the threads. Junker Jim

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,823 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 12, 2012 - 11:25 AM

Junker Jim, i see this is your second post, Welcome to GT Talk, glad you joined, and welcome to the 2 wheel GT side of things here, i take it you have a DB ?
  • junker said thank you

#14 junker OFFLINE  

junker
  • Member No: 8973
  • 0 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 07:52 PM

Yes I have a DB 57560. I have it all looking pretty but I can't get the clutch together. It had been apart before and when I opened it there were no bearings in it. A friend gave me a doner that appears to be the same but it has 11 bearings and what appears to be a stamped sheet metal bearing retainer. I also have the tapered washer and the hub has a bearing groove in the end??? I also have a ROTO STICK that has ignition problems. It has the snow blower attachment only.

#15 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,823 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 16, 2012 - 08:42 PM

There are 11 balls, 10 balls and 9 balls, DB changed them midway through prodution on some of the tractors, to help you figure out what you have here is a manual for a 11 ball.
http://www.geocities.../ballclutch.htm
This is a fourm my Uncle started in the 90's, just click on clutches : http://www.geocities.ws/dbrestorer2/
A picture of the clutch itself will help me be able to help you a little more

Manual for the tractor : http://amigatec.net/...ctors/57560.pdf

Edited by trowel, March 16, 2012 - 08:58 PM.

• junker said thank you