• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Kelley OFFLINE  

Charlie Kelley
  • Member No: 89090
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 04:16 PM

Could any one tell me for sure with the 314 you have to put the hydrostatic transmission in neutral to stop? I have new breaks and there are adjusted according to the service manual. The breaks still will not stop the tractor until I put it in neutral. The service manual doesn't tell me if there's a connection between the hydrostatic transmission and breaks. I just don't want my Grandkids to drive the tractor that way. If I can find a way to fix the tractor I'll just g ave to sell it.
Appreciate any help
Mr. Kelley

#2 jimbowlie OFFLINE  

jimbowlie
  • Member No: 84120
  • 9 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 05:17 PM

My 300 uses the brake/ steer but stop is neutral....  I sheered the front hub off learning that with my first Deere..   Lesson learned?  Drive slow around areas the tire can catch an edge, or something is gonna get broke...  lol   I have never heard of any one with an automated disengagement feature for that vintage.  I have often thought of installing a short solenoid in place of the disengage knob, but I heard that even with the disengagement wear can happen in the hyrdo pump.  (unverified and unsure of its validity).

#3 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,478 Thanks
  • 729 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 06:55 PM

My 300 uses the brake/ steer but stop is neutral....  I sheered the front hub off learning that with my first Deere..   Lesson learned?  Drive slow around areas the tire can catch an edge, or something is gonna get broke...  lol   I have never heard of any one with an automated disengagement feature for that vintage.  I have often thought of installing a short solenoid in place of the disengage knob, but I heard that even with the disengagement wear can happen in the hyrdo pump.  (unverified and unsure of its validity).

I have a 1974 Massey MF 14 that has a hand lever for hydro control

It is linked to the brake peddle

If moving forward or reverse when you press the brake the hydro lever is returned to neutral automatically like Charlie Kelley wants his John Deere to do, I think the lever operated ones were linked to the brake peddle for safety reason

If foot operated hydro just remove your foot before you press the brake peddle

I do not know if this was available on the John Deere as I do not own one or have worked on one

Most of my GT knowledge is with the Massey Ferguson MF 14 or MF 16 witch are the same except for engine HP

#4 Leonard VanCamp ONLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 658 Thanks
  • 473 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 07:56 PM

I think it depends on what year the tractor was made. On my 78 316K I can hit the brake pedals singularly or together and the hyrdo lever doesn't move. On my 86 420 if I push just one of the pedals it bring the hydro lever back half way, hitting both brake pedals returns the lever to neutral

#5 Charlie Kelley OFFLINE  

Charlie Kelley
  • Member No: 89090
  • 1 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 10:40 PM

I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP EVERYONE HAS GIVEN ME. I THINK I MIGHT SELL THE 314 AND USE THE MONEY TO RESTORE MY SEARS SUPER 12 WHICH HAS A HYDRAULIC LOADER.
THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE
MR. KELLEY

#6 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Member No: 84410
  • 1,292 Thanks
  • 939 posts

Posted December 15, 2017 - 09:58 AM

AC/Simplicitys with a hydro disengage the pump when you push the brake pedal.