• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 10:10 PM

So in upstate New York winter gets pretty cold, today the high was 23. I have been wanting to do a refurb on my 1961 power King, and I want to have it be my winter project this year. The sanding and prep is no problem to do in my basement, but the painting I am not sure. I have a Woodstove in the basement, so the door to upstairs stays open. That being said, I have painted some small things and the house always smells like paint after. I thought about maybe using an old tent as a paint booth, but I don't know how well that would work. Has anybody tried that before? Does anybody else have any ideas for us who aren't lucky enough to have heated garages? Maybe just take my time getting everything prepped and ready to paint once warm weather comes.
  • boyscout862 and classic have said thanks

#2 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 5,709 Thanks
  • 2,392 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 10:44 PM

Hey Ryan, I'm just a little north of you and the cold does put a damper on things. I don't do any painting this time of year since I don't have a heated garage. Keeping a heat source on in a temporary structure would get costly, I would think. A guy I knew heated a small cabin with some little car with a 3 cylinder engine. The car ran a long time on very little gas. He pulled the car up to the cabin and plumbed the radiator hoses to baseboard heating in the cabin. The car would just idle and heat the cabin, HA! Anyway, I mainly search for parts and do mechanical work on the tractors this time of year. Rebuilding carbs, engines, transmissions, rears, can be done in a fairly small space. I have a utility room that I do that kind of work in during the winter months sometimes. I don't use any solvents or paints that would stink up the house.
  • Alc and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 11:12 PM

Maybe I should have been a little clearer, I mean put the tent in the basement, that way I don't have to heat it seperatly. The car idea is not something I have heard before though!!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 11:32 PM

I was thinking of making a paint booth out of a small tent garage covered with clear plastic. Put it on the south side of the house and let the sun heat it until mid afternoon. It could be augmented with a wood stove.

Years ago I did some rattle can painting in the downstairs garage. A slight smell made its way to our living area so, I won't do it again. The tent probably will just concentrate it into your lungs and will then stink up the house. A 6' x 6' booth on the outside of your house would be better. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP said thank you

#5 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 234 Thanks
  • 165 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 11:45 PM

I'd be afraid of painting with a flame near by.  I was a floor and counter installer for 37 years and had 2 fires on my contact glue from furnaces near by that I didn't know were there.  I was able to put them out quick because the pieces I was gluing were small.

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 tractorskipper ONLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 655 Thanks
  • 395 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 12:13 AM

Agree with above on not painting in the basement.  Oder will get to the house no matter what.  Hope for a warm day that coincides with being ready to paint.  The idea of a temporary tent on a sunny day sounds like a good one.

#7 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,602 Thanks
  • 889 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 12:20 AM

I think you are setting yourself up for a disaster. Paint solvents are extremely flammable. Concentrating them inside a tent with a wood stove nearby is basically building a big bomb, not to consider what you are doing to your body, even with a respirator. You will need lights inside the tent to see. If you knock one over and burst a bulb, you just blew yourself, your house and your family up.

I'm sure you will have many people tell you they have done it successfully, but they were just lucky.

Personally I wouldn't sand in my basement, especially with the door open to the rest of the house.

#8 old coot OFFLINE  

old coot
  • Member No: 54079
  • 136 Thanks
  • 95 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 03:45 AM

maybe a paint booth of some sort , seal up good and a good exhaust system...might get to costly to do  years ago I refinished furniture inside of a garage that was heated...in order to keep the fumes from getting to the heat source we built a block room with a door and an industrial exhaust fan through the wall 

Edited by old coot, December 14, 2017 - 03:46 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#9 MiCarl ONLINE  

MiCarl
  • Member No: 75926
  • 2,220 Thanks
  • 1,130 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 07:17 AM

Most of the time involved in a great paint job is the prep work.  Take your time this winter getting it ready then paint it when the weather warms.

#10 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 8,849 Thanks
  • 8,036 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 08:26 AM

Hey, Ryan, thought you were going off into the army or something. Plans changed? Hadn't seen you awhile on here, so figured you were gone off somewhere.

ON the painting in basement, NOT!  Wood stove or any other flame and you will be taking chance of Boom!   Can't see that well in basements either really. Just fix the mechanical things, leave the painting for the Spring or Summer. 

• boyscout862 and Doxey have said thanks

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I will just do what I can in the garage on days that aren't to unbearable. So everybody who does winter restorations has heated garages? I guess I'm one of the unlucky few!

GL, I was in the navy, I have been out for 2 1/2 years. I was only in 6 months before they discharged me for medical reasons.
  • boyscout862 and Jazz have said thanks

#12 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,693 Thanks
  • 9,476 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for all the advice, I will just do what I can in the garage on days that aren't to unbearable. So everybody who does winter restorations has heated garages? I guess I'm one of the unlucky few!

GL, I was in the navy, I have been out for 2 1/2 years. I was only in 6 months before they discharged me for medical reasons.

I hope that you have a claim in with the VA. I've seen too many guys get screwed up in the service and then the military doctors try to cover it up by calling it pre existing when it was actually caused by a military doctor. 40 years ago today I was brought into our local Army Hospital by my CPT. It took 5 months to get discharged because the doctors kept injuring me with their experiments. I survived despite their efforts. They then covered it up so that the VA would only give me a 0% rating. I was lucky to survive and later to mostly recover. Good Luck, Rick

• Leonard VanCamp and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2,713 Thanks
  • 1,568 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 07:38 PM

Hey, Ryan, thought you were going off into the army or something. Plans changed? Hadn't seen you awhile on here, so figured you were gone off somewhere.

ON the painting in basement, NOT!  Wood stove or any other flame and you will be taking chance of Boom!   Can't see that well in basements either really. Just fix the mechanical things, leave the painting for the Spring or Summer. 

Not painting in house but been squirting cars in garage for decades with airtight wood stove. Only dangerous painting if wood stove is not airtight or is one of the home made contraptions which are commonly the source of garage fires along with uninsulated chimneys. Poor man pay twice.

My boat is in garage right now waiting on a fresh coat of paint. Got some black, silver and of course purple:)

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1331.JPG

Edited by Jazz, December 14, 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#14 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 2,713 Thanks
  • 1,568 posts

Posted February 10, 2018 - 10:46 AM

Got fresh coat of paint on boat a few weeks ago. Now starts the ugly of floor replacement. All carpet being replaced with vinyl. PO had installed pressure treated flooring which I learned absorbs and holds water

Also learned the 42 year old factory floatation foam was now retaining water. Explains why boat was still dripping water out drain after sitting in heated garage 2 months!

Attached Thumbnails

• 663D90B1-1752-424C-BB94-648DDC1FC878.jpeg
  • IMG_1569.JPG

Edited by Jazz, February 11, 2018 - 09:37 AM.

• old coot said thank you

#15 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • 2,713 Thanks
  • 1,568 posts

Posted March 03, 2018 - 05:07 PM

I mentioned to friend I needed a few square feet of aluminum now that the floor is in boat. The expanding foam did not work as well as expected but its done!  Soo my friend gave me these signs that had been headed to scrap a few years ago :D

Attached Thumbnails

• fullsizeoutput_60f.jpeg
  • fullsizeoutput_60a.jpeg
  • fullsizeoutput_611.jpeg
  • fullsizeoutput_60c.jpeg

• old coot said thank you