• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • Member No: 39185
  • 98 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 05:16 PM

Kinda new here having been a big fan of the big Wheel horses (the 'D' series) so when I ran up on this 1650 and the 'beefiness' of it, I scarfed it up. Been sitting outside for many years (imagine that!) and many parts/pieces frozen with rust. Have been lucky so far in salvaging the various parts/pieces, but this one has me stumped!

Its the PTO .. stub? shaft that attaches at the tractor. I guess what my biggest problem is  - How do you normally remove it when its not rusted/corroded?? Pull on the ring, push it ...?? cuss it? (Ive done a lot of that) I have successfully freed the ring and the balls but still nothing. I wondered if maybe at some point the shaft had been jammed up on to the splines and that might have it frozen, but I put a pretty hefty pull on it and, again nothing!

Pretty impressed with thing, its BUILT! Being built tough is what had me impressed with the big WH's, but  this MF is really impressive. (had never even knew MF made a garden tractor!)

IMG_3537.JPG

• olcowhand and boyscout862 have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 44095 Thanks
  • 32301 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 05:26 PM

The pic shows everything in the "pull to remove" state, so it is simply rusted in tight!  If pecking around on it simply will not get it to move, you could unbolt the entire assembly off the back of the tractor, then you could use a flat ended drift pin and hammer to drive it out from the back side.  Once removed you can then use wire brushes to clean both parts to remove the crusty rust.

• DMAX, limebuzz, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#3 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • 98 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 05:39 PM

Ya gotta love these forums!! I get the answer in less than 10 mins!!

I suspected that was the case, just STUCK!! but not being familiar with how it was removed had me leery of putting too much BFH's on it. Had been eying removing the assy off the back - doesnt look to involved, so will go with that.

THANKS a million

pacer

• olcowhand and DMAX have said thanks

#4 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1869 Thanks
  • 863 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 05:43 PM

I think its rust giving you the issue like olcowhand mentioned

Manuals are a great help

Here is the operators 

http://gardentractor...erators-manual/

Here is the parts

http://gardentractor...0-parts-manual/

If you think the MF 1650 is beefy should see the MF 1855, just a wee bit bigger

Massey Ferguson has been making garden tractors for a long time

I have a 1978 MF 1450 and 2 1974 MF 14s and a 1975 MF 16,  

All the same size physically'

The MF 14's and MF 16 are the model before the 1450, 1650 etc

• DMAX, boyscout862 and jpswift1 have said thanks

#5 pacer OFFLINE  

pacer
  • 98 Thanks
  • 84 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 06:14 PM

Well just as olcowhand said it was just STUCK!!    I removed the PTO assy off the back of the tractor, this allowed me to get at the back of the stub shaft and - with generous Kroil - was able to get a chunk of steel and a big *%$#* hammer and whack it a few times and it started creeping out. The further it moved the more it freed up and pretty quickly it was out! Combination of old hard grease and rust. A good session in the blast cabinet and here she is.... You can see the heavy pitting in the splines and with all those cavities for rust and old grease to harden in, well, its hardly any wonder it froze up!

Its important to note that the ring and balls - fortunately - were in the 'removal' position with the balls fully exposed, if they had not been I you would have to work with the ring and balls until its in this position, otherwise it is locked.

Removing the PTO assy off the rear is pretty straight forward, tho a bit of work. The 3 point lift arms have to come off and then there are some 8-10 bolts scattered around the cover and the actual mount with a couple really tucked in there.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3538.JPG
  • IMG_3537.JPG

• limebuzz and Mark 149 J. have said thanks