• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 11:03 AM

I will be looking if I can prevent pulling from the side of the tractor with the cylinder may be by using the original linkages (pulling/pushing where the steering box does) and/or installing the cylinder parallel to the front axle

On the 2 power steering upgrades I did, I mounted my cylinder like this and it works great.

#17 spudder ONLINE  

spudder
  • Member No: 87474
  • 39 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 04:17 PM

I never considered stops for fore/aft movement. I know Cub Cadet Super garden tractors have adjustable bolts to take fore/aft axle slop out. I think I'll take a look at the Massey design and see if there is a way to add an adjustment option.

I just looked at my 1855. The saddle that the axle sets in already has a couple of smaller bolts in it. I think those bolts can be replaced with larger bolts with wear pads welded to the heads. Then adjust those bolts rearward to just touch the axle. I think this would absorb any torque applied from the steering cylinder.

Great forum......where great ideas can be shared. As I said before, I never even thought about any front to rear stress being applied by a parallel to frame steering system. Definitely something to consider! 

Edited by spudder, February 07, 2018 - 04:30 PM.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#18 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 5,545 Thanks
  • 4,906 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 06:46 PM

The 1855 is a great tractor, mine had a Work Horse Loader on it, and it was near impossible to steer with a full bucket.