• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • Member No: 87474
  • 37 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 04:55 PM

I thought I would update my 1855 project. I've pretty well completed the power steering conversion so I will show some pictures of the installation. All brackets are made to be bolted on. If a person ever wanted to put this tractor back to stock, it would be a simple task. All steering components were taken from a Cub Cadet 1864. The steering shaft and outer column tube were both lengthened.

The project took way longer than it should.....that's my fault!IMG_2100.JPG IMG_2101.JPG IMG_2107.JPG IMG_2111.JPG IMG_2118.JPG IMG_2119.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG IMG_2120.JPG

• olcowhand, DMAX, limebuzz and 4 others have said thanks

#2 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,422 Thanks
  • 1,576 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 05:40 PM

Wow thats well thought out.Looking good.Will be keeping an eye on you mod and looking forward to the end results.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,493 Thanks
  • 1,816 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 06:35 PM

Excellent job on the brackets. Almost looks like a "kit" that could be purchased.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • DMAX and jpswift1 have said thanks

#4 DMAX ONLINE  

DMAX

Addicted

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 264
  • 376 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 07:13 PM

Excellent job on the brackets. Almost looks like a "kit" that could be purchased.

Agreed, excellent work!
  • jpswift1, KBuzz and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,325 Thanks
  • 1,309 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:40 PM

Nice work!  Could you show pictures of how it's hook to the hydro pump?

Thanks!

• DMAX and limebuzz have said thanks

#6 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 626 Thanks
  • 524 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 11:03 AM

WOW!  That looks great!  You certainly do good work.  I think I'm going to have to copy this setup on my 1855.

• DMAX said thank you

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,004 Thanks
  • 31,371 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 01:15 PM

I agree Eric.  The bracket I built just got hacked & welded without regard to looks.  Spudder did nice work!

• dropped82 said thank you

#8 Ryan313 ONLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,365 Thanks
  • 5,230 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 04:38 PM

That looks great!! I like how clean your setup is, something to be said about putting detail into parts that you probably cant even see when it is all together.

• jpswift1 said thank you

#9 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • 626 Thanks
  • 524 posts

Posted January 11, 2018 - 11:03 AM

I keep coming back to this thinking about how this would make the 1655/1855 one of the most perfect large garden tractors.  I have a million other projects, but this would be a great modification to make.

• olcowhand, limebuzz, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#10 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • 37 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 13, 2018 - 06:47 PM

I'll post an update when the tractor is back running. When I bought it last October, it wasn't running. I've had it running and it sounds really good. As with most anything I own, I did some modifications.  I changed the carburetor to a Nikki off a 318 John Deere. (A really great upgrade) The original muffler was bad so I replaced it with one from the 318 John Deere. Had to modify the muffler, it's brackets, and air cleaner. Have done some other minor modifications.

Now, the most time consuming project is mounting a Model 24 Johnson Loader. I have the sub-frame pretty well built. Next thing is the tower brackets and front diagonal braces.

I guess I should have a build thread on the loader project too!

Tim

• olcowhand, limebuzz, jpswift1 and 1 other said thanks

#11 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • 626 Thanks
  • 524 posts

Posted January 18, 2018 - 02:05 AM

I'll post an update when the tractor is back running. When I bought it last October, it wasn't running. I've had it running and it sounds really good. As with most anything I own, I did some modifications.  I changed the carburetor to a Nikki off a 318 John Deere. (A really great upgrade) The original muffler was bad so I replaced it with one from the 318 John Deere. Had to modify the muffler, it's brackets, and air cleaner. Have done some other minor modifications.

Now, the most time consuming project is mounting a Model 24 Johnson Loader. I have the sub-frame pretty well built. Next thing is the tower brackets and front diagonal braces.

I guess I should have a build thread on the loader project too!

Tim

TIm,

I might copy your idea with the Deere 318 Nikki carb swap.  What advantages have you found compared to the one that came stock on the MF 1855?

#12 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • 37 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 02:32 PM

I think the Nikki carburetor is a better, more user friendly unit. The main thing is to be sure all the tiny holes in the metering rod are open. I used a torch tip cleaner to clear all the holes including the bottom of the tube. I found a thread on the net about cleaning a NIkki. It was very detailed and stressed the need to open all the holes.......especially clearing the inside of the tube from the bottom. The author of the thread had cleaned the carb more than once but couldn't it to idle and run smooth. The whole problem was the metering rod being plugged from the bottom.

Using a Nikki carb on your Massey creates it's own problems. Linkage, and air cleaner, choke and throttle placement have to be adapted. Nothing major but if the original air cleaner is used, the base has to be modified if the original heat shield is retained. I used JD 318 parts....governor linkage rod, carb, air cleaner and crankcase vent tube. This made the conversion easier because all the parts came from another Onan engine.

I changed the air cleaner because my original muffler was junk so I used another Onan/Nikki air cleaner along with a modified JD 318 muffler.

I couldn't believe how well the engine ran and idled with the Nikki carb. I can provide pictures if desired.

• olcowhand, jpswift1 and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#13 jpswift1 ONLINE  

jpswift1
  • 626 Thanks
  • 524 posts

Posted January 20, 2018 - 06:35 PM

I think the Nikki carburetor is a better, more user friendly unit. The main thing is to be sure all the tiny holes in the metering rod are open. I used a torch tip cleaner to clear all the holes including the bottom of the tube. I found a thread on the net about cleaning a NIkki. It was very detailed and stressed the need to open all the holes.......especially clearing the inside of the tube from the bottom. The author of the thread had cleaned the carb more than once but couldn't it to idle and run smooth. The whole problem was the metering rod being plugged from the bottom.

Using a Nikki carb on your Massey creates it's own problems. Linkage, and air cleaner, choke and throttle placement have to be adapted. Nothing major but if the original air cleaner is used, the base has to be modified if the original heat shield is retained. I used JD 318 parts....governor linkage rod, carb, air cleaner and crankcase vent tube. This made the conversion easier because all the parts came from another Onan engine.

I changed the air cleaner because my original muffler was junk so I used another Onan/Nikki air cleaner along with a modified JD 318 muffler.

I couldn't believe how well the engine ran and idled with the Nikki carb. I can provide pictures if desired.

Thanks for the information.  I might do this down the road if I run into issues with the stock carb on my 1855.

#14 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,493 Thanks
  • 1,816 posts

Posted January 21, 2018 - 11:19 AM

I also did the same conversion on my 1655 before the 24hp swap. It was a night and day difference. I actually kept the original shroud and muffler. Just cut the bottom of the original air cleaner and welded in a cutout from the Nikki air cleaner. From above it looked like the stock DD.

I also have the Nikki on the P224 that's now in it. Main thing I swapped was the choke cable. I used one from a Deere 420. It wraps around and comes in from the front.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#15 MacWorld OFFLINE  

MacWorld

• Member No: 1195
  • 30 Thanks
  • 69 posts

Posted February 07, 2018 - 10:49 AM

Will you be adding stops to the front axle to prevent the cylinder from pushing/pulling too hard on the axle's rotation pivot (in the center of the tractor) ? The 4xx John Deere have such stops.

Have you had to cut anything out of the steering "A" frame?

I am also thinking about doing this modification some day but I will be looking if I can prevent pulling from the side of the tractor with the cylinder may be by using the original linkages (pulling/pushing where the steering box does) and/or installing the cylinder parallel to the front axle

Edited by MacWorld, February 07, 2018 - 10:50 AM.

• limebuzz said thank you