• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3441 Thanks
  • 5250 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:18 AM

Before I get into my question, I want to say that I am not trying to start a flame war over hunting. I fully understand that not everybody has views that agree, and I am not trying to start a thread about ethics of hunting. Thanks.

My buddy has a pretty bad yote problem, they are always howling and now they are getting his neighbors chickens. I have a hard time killing something and letting it be wasted. My boss said growing up his family made jerky out of them. Has anybody tried this? Or any other way of eating them? I think that most of the cringe you would have reading this is the mindset of eating them, after all, chickens are one of the dirtiest animals out there. I'm not saying I want to eat them, but if his neighbor keeps having problems they are gonna have to go.
  • hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 84410
  • 2019 Thanks
  • 1329 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 09:28 AM

I don't have a problem with just shooting them and maybe keeping the pelt.

• hamman, boyscout862, chieffan and 1 other said thanks

#3 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 15513 Thanks
  • 6835 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:04 AM

The only thing I would worry about if someone is planning on eating coyote is parasites in the flesh that you don't know about. They can carry the same worms and skin diseases that domestic dogs have.  Generally speaking we don't eat carnivores for that reason, although the trappers up here claim that cougar flesh is very tasty, and I have eaten bear and find it tender and delicious. As SimplyRad said, I'd just pelt it out and dispose of the carcass. 

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 SupplySergeant OFFLINE  

SupplySergeant

Eggman's Dad

• Member No: 45293
  • 2111 Thanks
  • 1129 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:16 AM

Deep freeze the skinned carcasses to kill the parasites and give them to a hog farmer, my hogs eat anything. Had a raccoon get in the pen, all we found was the tail!

• hamman, KennyP, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 7328 Thanks
  • 3115 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 11:07 AM

The only thing I would worry about if someone is planning on eating coyote is parasites in the flesh that you don't know about. They can carry the same worms and skin diseases that domestic dogs have.  Generally speaking we don't eat carnivores for that reason, although the trappers up here claim that cougar flesh is very tasty, and I have eaten bear and find it tender and delicious. As SimplyRad said, I'd just pelt it out and dispose of the carcass. 

Definitely not eat them. Parasites can live thru the cooking process. I read that on a couple of trapping sites. Thin them out and tan the hides , they do sell for a few bucks making a little return on the cost. Thinning them will also drive them from the area. Once they precieve the threat to their colony they will move on. Just my take on this.                                                                                                                                                                                                          Roger

• KennyP, boyscout862, oldedeeres and 3 others have said thanks

#6 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 18899 Thanks
  • 11851 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 01:20 PM

Make a cap from the hide and it will sell for good money.

• hamman, oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#7 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4870 Thanks
  • 2863 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 03:51 PM

I have had jerked cougar but not Coyote. The cougar was very tasty. I see people mention not eating carnivores. Almost every thing we eat is an omnivore. Pork and all of the fowl will eat anything they can get down their gullet. When I was in the Philippians I was told about raising dog for food. It was recommended to finish them out for 6 weeks on a strict rice diet. This was to clean them out and make the meat much more palatable. You could google "eating dog"  But you might want to do it where you cant be traced so you don't get put on a PETA watch list or something. Could be worse than home land security.  Don

• olcowhand, hamman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#8 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3441 Thanks
  • 5250 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 08:10 PM

Bear is the only carnivore I have had before, I think it is pretty good, tastes sweet. Well I guess I will just take the pelts and skulls then!!

• oldedeeres said thank you

#9 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 4870 Thanks
  • 2863 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 12:38 AM

Bear is the only carnivore I have had before, I think it is pretty good, tastes sweet. Well I guess I will just take the pelts and skulls then!!

Sorry.  Bear  is an omnivore.  Don

• oldedeeres and chieffan have said thanks

#10 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 16427 Thanks
  • 9044 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 08:36 AM

As has been said, skin them out, sell the hide.  The better job of skinning the more $$ you take home. Leave the carcass for the rest of the food chain.  The Eagles will find them quick if left out in the open, as well as the crows and hawks.  Won't be nothing left but the bones.  We get several deer carcass after the meat has been bone off and leave out for the rest of the food chain.  Have had as many as 15 Bald and Golden Eagles feeding at one time.

#11 SimplyRad OFFLINE  

SimplyRad
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 84410
  • 2019 Thanks
  • 1329 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 10:17 AM

When making jerky all you are doing is drying the meat and not cooking. To kill any parasites you need to fully cook the meat.

#12 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 15513 Thanks
  • 6835 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 01:46 PM

A young bear that has been eating oats in the field is hard to beat. Stay away from one that has had access to the garbage dump or the fish cleaning barrel, yucky! Real poplar smoked bacon from a bear is wonderful.

#13 Jazz OFFLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 2756 Thanks
  • 1585 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 02:35 PM

You could make up gift baskets for the season.  How about a  pelt in a basket with a nicely wrapped package of jerky.  Spice it up and brand it as "Howling Jerky"  

#14 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 16501 Thanks
  • 9061 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 11:05 AM

The problem with trying to get rid of coyotes is you have to get them all. If you just get a couple they will start breeding to make up for it.