• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 07:14 AM

I am in need of a compressor. I am currently looking at the Campbell Hausfield from TSC for $399.
It is rated at 11.5 SCFM @ 40 PSI,10.2 SCFM @ 90 PSI, 135 PSI max. This will mostly be used for air tools, no sandblasting. Most air consumption will be an angle cut-off tool. Think this would work OK? I have 220V available, just have to wire in a plug for it.
Lowes has one a little bigger, but it is $479. Most cheaper compressors are so low on SCFM that I don't think they would keep up. I would love a two-stage, but don't have $$$ for one of those.
What do you guys think?

P.S. Off to work. Will check on responses this evening. May go get it tomorrow if it looks good for
the job.

Edited by KennyP, July 01, 2011 - 07:33 AM.
Added Comment

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:20 AM

Kenny , sounds like it would work well for what you plan . It would be nice to " test drive " it with the tools you plan on using before buying it . Those die grinders and sanders really use up air . I wouldn't mind having that one , way bigger then the one I have in my garage , Al
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:41 AM

What's an air compressor? :bigrofl: (carry-over from George's)
Seriously though, does sound like this one will do all you need. It would do fine for average air tools not in production use. just DO NOT get an oil-less unit! They will not hold up well. Plus they are loud beyond belief!
  • KennyP said thank you

#4 Dieseljon OFFLINE  

Dieseljon

• Member No: 3923
  • 7 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:57 AM

Seriously though, does sound like this one will do all you need. It would do fine for average air tools not in production use. just DO NOT get an oil-less unit! They will not hold up well. Plus they are loud beyond belief!

I'll second that about the oil-less compressors. JUNK!!!!
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 10:38 AM

I do use a little carry type oil-less I run my nailgun & little stuff for small jobs, but that's all I'll have to do with them unless they do some major innovations with them.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 11:48 AM

Realistically..............a $400.00 air compressor is at the low end of the spectrum. Sorry about that. Those are designed for the casual user....such as what the average homeowner would need. Campbell-Hausfield is not known for high quality compressed air equipment but they do meet the needs of many weekend mechanics. Based on what you describe, I'd say that the CH compressor will provide adequate air. Presumably, this pump is sitting on a vertical 40 gallon receiver. I don't understand why you wish for a 2 stage compressor. A single stage pump will provide all the pressure your tools need because most tools are designed to run at 90 PSI. Single stage compressors can deliver up to 140 PSI. Two-stage units will deliver pressures of about 175 PSI on average. For sure, you will get longer run-times from a tank of air that is regulated to 90 PSI with a 2 stage but it will take longer for the pump to refill the tank to the cut-out point but in my opinion, there's no real need for a 2-stage.

Even though you are fishing at the bottom of the river bed, that compressor should last you at least ten years if you change the oil once in a while, clean the air filter and keep the water drained from the tank. Compressed air is a wonderful thing to have . Enjoy.
  • KennyP said thank you

#7 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 12:57 PM

I bought a new compresser last year at Home Depot with the same output as the one your looking at. I do use it for sand basting for smaller things. I do about one to three 90 lb. sacks at a time. I do have to wait some for the tank to refill. I wish I could have got a bigger one but it works for me. I have an older smaller blaster from Habor Freight ( around $120 one) that holds a little over a 90 lb. sack. Handy for doing my GT's. I used to use my old Sears 30 gal.
  • KennyP said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 01:40 PM

I agree that an oiless is not the best and they are loud. However that is what I'm using. It starts and runs fine in sub zero weather.
The oil unit I had before(Craftsman) had to have the oil changed Spring and Fall since I do not have heat in the garage.
Low Viscosity in winter and heavier in summer. I had a nearly new 7 hp in the garage(never had a starting problem with that one) that flooded and since I only have 110 in the new place garage,I had to compromise.
  • KennyP said thank you

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 04:43 PM

Hydriv, Two-stage has more SCFM, plus faster for keeping up with air tools the use quite a lot. This has a 60 gallon tank. Would probaly have to let it catch up to the cut-off tool and DA sander. I don't plan to use it continuously, but it may get a workout at times. There will be no sandblasting involved. If weather cooperates, maybe the occasional paint gun.
I have looked a smaller units, most are oiless and very low on SCFM. Barely able to use a small paint gun from Lowes. These had 20-30 gallon tanks and were more portable. This is a 230 volt unit, also. So it is probably the one to get.
Thank you to all who have offered assistance with this.

#10 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Kenny,
Whether you choose a single stage or a two stage pump, both have a SCFM rating. A two-stage pump does not automatically mean that you get a higher SCFM. A two stage pump has at least 2 cylinders in it. One cylinder is larger in diameter than the second cylinder. The air that is sucked into the large cylinder is compressed into the smaller cylinder which then compresses it again before delivering it to the receiver. If you have a two cylinder single stage pump, then both cylinders are the same diameter and both of them work independently to push compressed air into the receiver. You can have a two stage compressor that delivers 10 SCFM at 90 PSI and you can have a two cylinder single stage pump that will put out the exact same SCFM at 90 PSI.

Now if you are saying that a two-stage pump will store more cubic feet of air in the same size tank as a single stage compressor will, then I will agree because the two stage is capable of compressing the air in the tank to a much higher volume because a two stage can reach pressures that a single stage pump cannot.. and I mentioned that fact in my first reply. No matter how you cut it.... a compressor rated to deliver 10 SCFM at 90 PSI will only put out that volume, regardless of it being one, two, three or four cylinders or single stage vs two stage.

When it comes to SCFM ratings, the size of the tank means nothing. It is the actual pump that is being tested for output.
  • KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 05:49 PM

I think that is what I was trying to get across. A two stage does have a faster recovery rate due to how it compresses the air, doesn't run as long to build pressure back up.
The one I am looking at has an SCFM rating of 10.2 SCFM at 90 PSI. It is a cast iron two cylinder oil lubricated pump, with a three HP motor.
Thanks for the info.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 06:31 PM

No matter how you cut it.... a compressor rated to deliver 10 SCFM at 90 PSI will only put out that volume, regardless of it being one, two, three or four cylinders or single stage vs two stage.

Kinda like people in hot weather turning their air conditioners down to 60F thinking it'll cool the house down faster to say 74F or whatever. It still only has so much cooling capacity per hour no matter the setting.
Kenny, that compressor would likely do fine for you. More air is better, but we have to live within our budgets don't we!

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:38 PM

Kenny for what you are describing as your needs I think that compressor will work great for you. Preventative maintenance will be a key point to make it last. Two cylinder single stage cast iron pumps are great. The oilless ones do work but they are noisy. I got rid of mine when I did our air compressor.

I just have one question though.....

What's an air compressor? :D

#14 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 01:31 AM

I think it has something to do with that thingy that makes flat tires round.

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 12:11 PM

Had it home by 9 A.M. Once I got it unloaded, it was already 95 under my lean-to shade. Very little wind. Will be out early tomorrow morn. to clear a spot for it. Just too hot for me, as I work all week in AC. Not use to it like I normally am by now. I have everything needed to hook it up and have it running.