• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pianoman8t8 OFFLINE  

pianoman8t8
  • Member No: 88481
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 10, 2017 - 11:51 AM

Hey guys, have an early 90's Powerking 1620 with 2-stage Berco blower on front.  Picked up a rock today, and it broke the flange on the rotary auger that throws the snow up the chute.  There is what appears to be a spot for a shear pin right before it, but when removed, turned out to be a grade 5 bolt... Manual just says 5/16" bolt, no mention of shear pin anywhere, not even the slow-moving screw augers. Also says 5/16" bolts for those, too.  I haven't taken those out yet to see if they're shear pins or not. I'm going to replace the 1 bolt I took out with a shear pin anyway, only makes sense.  I can drill a new hole in the broken flange and get by, just kind of a bummer.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1620 Berco screenshot.png

• boyscout862 said thank you

#2 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 5322 Thanks
  • 2588 posts

Posted December 10, 2017 - 01:16 PM

Hi boy are you lucky that only the flange broke many times the brass gear in the auger GB breaks, I would be installing a shear bolt too yes sometimes shear but its a lot cheaper than broken parts

#3 pianoman8t8 OFFLINE  

pianoman8t8
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 10, 2017 - 04:23 PM

I just put a new shear bolt in.  I did check the other 2 "bolts" on the screw augers, and they are indeed shear pins.  The one just before the flange coupling that drives the "fan" on the other hand, was a grade 5 bolt with no grooves.  Replaced it with a shear pin of matching size, and groove location seems appropriate.  It did break the flanges though, tore the steel around the bolt hole (flange part #10 and mating flange on the "fan" blade).  So I need to drill a new hole for a new bolt for that.

See photo of flange to see what tore... 

I'm not sure how the brass gear inside the gearbox would have broken in this case, but I could see it happening if it were the screw augers not being able to break free via shear pin. Maybe the shear pins need a little less cross-sectional area at the groove locations... This can be arranged if need be... 

Attached Thumbnails

• 2017-12-10 16.21.13.jpg

#4 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 5322 Thanks
  • 2588 posts

Posted December 10, 2017 - 05:53 PM

Hi your right about the gear I was thinking of the auger bolts and the outer flange, I'm thinking that a shear bolt would have been in the flange that broke maybe. 

Have you gotten much snow yet? we haven't had any plow/blow able snow yet

Edited by MNGB, December 10, 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 15180 Thanks
  • 9996 posts

Posted December 10, 2017 - 10:42 PM

In places where a shear bolt is used, the shafts are usually lubed so that they turn easily. Then the shear bolt is installed.

It is common on older equipment that the shafts rust together and even with a shear bolt it can't break loose to protect the machine. Wood chippers are the worst at this. Many have a shear key but when a rock gets in, the PTO of the engine shaps because the pulley is rusted solid to it. Good Luck, Rick

#6 pianoman8t8 OFFLINE  

pianoman8t8
  • 37 Thanks
  • 49 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 09:16 AM

The collar spun freely on the shaft, and the screw augers have grease fittings, which I did grease.  We got about 4" of snow last weekend, and 5-8" expected today.  Drilled a new hole in that flange last night, but only for a #10 bolt.  Playing it safe for now.  Original bolt appears to be 1/4" or 5/16".  If I snap a #10 due to blockage, easy to replace and allows more material to remain in place on the flange.

• MNGB said thank you