• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LuCarp06 OFFLINE  

LuCarp06
  • Member No: 74947
  • 23 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 10:21 AM

I have a 1968 Jacobsen 1200 Chief. The left rear tire is cracked and will not hold air. Is it worth putting a tube in it and how hard is it to install the tube? It's 23 x 8.5 x 12 tire.
  • hamman said thank you

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,361 Thanks
  • 2,838 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 10:56 AM

Depends on how badly cracked it is. I have several antique machines that have the original tires on them that I have tubed. It should not be to difficult to install. Need to break it down on both sides, clean the inside out and reinstall the tube. My Jacobsen 1200 has tubes all the way around that are original. Some came with tubes and some came with tubeless tires. Maybe take it to a tire dealer to have them put it in. Good luck. A tube should work.                                              Roger

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,692 Thanks
  • 1,289 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 01:16 PM

I have tubed several old tires in my time. It has always shown me a benefit. As said above break it down and clean it out well. As far as difficulty goes your first one is usually near impossible then they get progressively more easy with experience. I use vegetable oil for lubricating the bead and tools, thin tools help. Don    

• hamman and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 lrhredjb ONLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 673 Thanks
  • 558 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 06:06 PM

Very true about the first on being the hardest. I have a 8'' turf tire on the front of my '69 CC 106 that I had to pump up each week to mow. Being original it had plenty of cracks. I picked up a 4.80x8 tube at TSC thinking it's 8'',it will work. After struggling to get it on I realized I had pinched the tube and it was leaking so off it came for a patch. With the patch tube installed I pumped it up only to have the tube blow out. I finally got the right size from an online source and this time it held air. I used a pair of Harbor Fright tire tools. After that I put a full size auto tire on a spare wheel I had with those tools so I have a full size spare now. Lots of sweating and mumbling. I used the vise grip tip Kenny posted about to keep one side of the tire on while levering the other side. Good luck

• hamman and KennyP have said thanks