Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

1855 dash repair.......what kind of epoxy/resin/fiberglass?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • Member No: 87474
  • 21 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:36 PM

I repaired the cracks in the dash of my 1855 today. I used a soldering pencil and melted the plastic on the back side of the dash. Used the point of the pencil to melt the plastic in the cracks and then used a circular motion to blend the plastic over the crack. I had another junk dash and cut strips of plastic from it to use as "filler rod" in the repaired areas. I built up the area over the cracks by melting the filler rod into the parent plastic, seemed to work pretty well.

Now, I want to coat the underside of the dash with some sort of epoxy/resin/fiberglass to reinforce the repaired areas. Anyone know of a product that will adhere to the plastic and make a strong repair?

Thanks, Tim

• Sawdust said thank you

#2 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,457 Thanks
  • 3,295 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:42 PM

​I've never tried the welding plastic method but have used a lot of bondo over the years. I like the Bondo brand fiberglass resin using the fiberglass mesh. Make sure you clean the areas to be repaired good. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,695 Thanks
  • 30,978 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 06:37 PM

Not sure what's best to try, but whatever you use, do rough up the plastic where it is to be applied to give it something to "hook" to.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#4 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2,313 Thanks
  • 1,733 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 07:35 PM

You might look up Marine Tex. I used it on my boat and is super strong. It's also waterproof. It also comes in a dark gray, almost black. Not the cheapest but you could probably rebuild the dash from scratch with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  • olcowhand, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 39,695 Thanks
  • 30,978 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 08:02 PM

You might look up Marine Tex. I used it on my boat and is super strong. It's also waterproof. It also comes in a dark gray, almost black. Not the cheapest but you could probably rebuild the dash from scratch with it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That stuff will also seal the side of a busted engine block at the coolant level!  Didn't know if it was still around.  Used it many many years ago.

• KennyP and dropped82 have said thanks

#6 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,758 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 09:27 PM

I use this on plastics, Cracked Dash's, Bath Tubs, Fridge racks. Excellent results!

Attached Thumbnails

• P1200605.jpg

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 487 Thanks
  • 457 posts

Posted December 10, 2017 - 12:33 PM

I use this on plastics, Cracked Dash's, Bath Tubs, Fridge racks. Excellent results!

That stuff or JB Plastic Weld or Loctite Plastic Weld are all going to be your best options.  I do a lot of work with 6 wheel amphibious ATV's and their bodies are made of plastic and from what I've found when repairing ABS plastic (what the Massey dash is made of), these epoxies work the best. 

• limebuzz and KennyP have said thanks