8 replies to this topic

#1 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 233 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 09:28 AM

Just curious as to which engine is a direct bolt in to replace my KT17 in my 317.  I know that the Briggs Vanguard kits are out there,as well as the Honda kits.  Will the Kohler Magnum 20 bolt right in?  Thanks in advance, guys.

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,509 Thanks
  • 44,965 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 09:53 AM

Never been around a KT engine, but I think the Magnum would be the closest match.

• akretowicz, Trav1s and Achto have said thanks

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 620 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 10:31 AM

A Magnum 20 will bolt right in, but it has a bigger crankshaft end.  You will need a different clutch assembly if you go that route...FYI.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 422 Thanks
  • 345 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 11:07 AM

I put a new v twin Kohler CH20 in my JD 420 and it was pretty much a direct bolt in, not sure if the clutch is the same size on a 317.

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 01:16 PM

A Magnum 20 will bolt right in, but it has a bigger crankshaft end.  You will need a different clutch assembly if you go that route...FYI.

SOME have a different size crankshaft. I'd bet you could find one that's the same as yours. That's partly why there's so many other numbers in a given model number or spec number. There's many variations of a given model of engine.
Something that I have done is to pull the crank out and have it machined down to match my needs for a given application
Yeah a magnum is almost identical to a KT series, 2 differences are that they added an oil filter and did away with points, otherwise very much the same engine ( EDIT oops, Da#n auto correct on my stupid phone, I hate it)

Edited by dodge trucker, December 07, 2017 - 06:30 PM.

• akretowicz, KennyP and Trav1s have said thanks

#6 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 620 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 03:42 PM

Dodge Trucker is correct, but finding an M20 with a 1" shaft may be tough.  It seems most of the KT17s I've ran across have a 1-1/8" shaft, and the M20s have a 1-1/4" shaft minimum.  If you can find an M20 with a 1" shaft...great, but I wouldn't be holding my breath...not in my neck of the woods anyway.  A 1" shaft on a 20HP engine doesn't seem to be very common.  If your engine is a Series 2 KT17 with full pressure lubrication, I would consider rebuilding.  The Series 2 engines are good.  Even better if they have an oil filter.

Another thing to consider...if you switch from a KT to an M series engine, you will need to change your ignition wiring a little to accommodate the change from points to an ignition module.  Not a huge deal, but something to think about.

• akretowicz said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,509 Thanks
  • 44,965 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 03:59 PM

The M18 I have is 1" shaft. Pulls Alice around quite nicely!

#8 akretowicz OFFLINE  

akretowicz

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2090
  • 233 Thanks
  • 311 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:53 PM

All sounds good to me.  I am sure if I went the rebuild route, parts are pretty expensive, aren't they?  Mine is the series ll with the broken connecting rod.  I have even heard of guys transplanting Briggs opposed twins in their 317's.  

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 06:37 PM

The other thing you can do is to find a PTO clutch with  a hub diam. to fit what ever engine that you do wind up with....

you might be able to keep your current electrical clutch coil and just find a different hub.

As an example, I know that a lot of Onans have a 1-7/16" PTO.

On my Ariens machines, my single cylinder  engines have 1-1/8" diameter crank, where my KT19 is an 1-1/4"/   other than the HP differences, the tractors are otherwise the same as each other.  but different diameter clutches.  same 2 belt setup on all. 

• akretowicz said thank you