8 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,185 Thanks
  • 8,897 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 09:26 AM

Today is the 76th anniversary of the Japanese sneak attack on Pearl Harbor. The Japanese Diplomats were in Washington DC talking peace while their navy attacked Hawaii. One of the carpenters who worked for my father in the 1960s was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. Less than 20% of his unit survived Japanese captivity. He felt that we should nuke  japan every December 7th.

Take a moment to remember the men and women of the WWII generation. Most are now gone, alittle of them still lives in our memories of them. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Alc and 16 others have said thanks

#2 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,193 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Rick. My uncle Bill was a B-17 tail gunner. Shot down twice, made it to Switzerland once, dropped on the Allied side the other.....he made it home. My dad was a Merchant Marine, did the Murmansk run......and also made it home. I visited the WWII Museum in New Orleans last week, and they had a section dedicated to the Merchant Marines. That was pretty special for me. They also had a small structural piece of the Arizona among an incredible amount of other history on display. If anyone is ever able, don't miss this museum. It's an experience of a lifetime.

My sincere thanks, and respect, to all those who have served our great Nation.

• Alc, KennyP, Cvans and 7 others have said thanks

#3 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 10:25 AM

One of the things I  hold dear in my heart is the day when I was in the Navy and we sailed into Pearl Harbor . 

The ship was berthed a stones throw away from the Arizona Memorial . I  always think of that on this day. 

The jewel of the Pacific ... and the mayhem that it was this day many years ago.

Edited by MGP59DB, December 07, 2017 - 10:28 AM.

• Alc, Cvans, MFDAC and 4 others have said thanks

#4 Leonard VanCamp OFFLINE  

Leonard VanCamp
  • Member No: 62684
  • 422 Thanks
  • 345 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 11:14 AM

One interesting article I read a few years ago was a story about a dockworker named George Waters, who was operating one of the shipyard cranes on battleship row. He moved the crane up and down the shipyard to try and block the Japanese planes from lining up on the ships there. That was one very smart and brave man.

Edited by Leonard VanCamp, December 07, 2017 - 11:19 AM.

• olcowhand, daytime dave, Alc and 4 others have said thanks

#5 MGP59DB OFFLINE  

MGP59DB
  • Member No: 66960
  • 1,562 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 01:16 PM

46611a430f7f120a1c267a1360f43662.jpg

• olcowhand, KennyP, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#6 Austen OFFLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 1,475 Thanks
  • 848 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 02:55 PM

Yes, thank you for the post commemorating the remembrance. I happened to be in Hawaii last December for a friend's wedding so I visited the memorial during the 75th Anniversary, it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. Everyone should visit there once; you will grow a profound respect for our country and its history in a new way you never had before. Everyone who was there visiting was in a deep sense of emotional thought and respect, you could so feel it all around you the entire time. It was a powerful experience that I will never forget.

Here are some pictures I took.

HFrU5DDh.jpg

89sgY2Rh.jpg

bLO4DYkh.jpg

4LfsWkmh.jpg

PT0pfjyh.jpg

j4TPQ92h.jpg

5CjQzDrh.jpg

NbS4X7ih.jpg

dTw76iMh.jpg

Diesel fuel / oil is still to this day being leaked out of the ship- about 2-3 quarts a day. You can see the reflection in the water and you can smell it too. It is not a concern, they said.

bU7C3pGh.jpg

A4A4oHuh.jpg

PzbSSUOh.jpg

HWXJBZhh.jpg

kEHeCRbh.jpg

VfjKV1vh.jpg

I went aboard the USS Missouri as well which was equally profound. My grandpa served WWII on a destroyer and this was a very meaningful experience for me.

Edited by Austen, December 07, 2017 - 04:26 PM.

• olcowhand, wilberj, jms180 and 10 others have said thanks

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,508 Thanks
  • 44,965 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:23 PM

Yes, thank you for the post commemorating the remembrance. I happened to be in Hawaii last December for a friend's wedding so I visited the memorial during the 75th Anniversary, it was one of the most moving experiences of my life. Everyone should visit there once; you will grow a profound respect for our country and its history in a new way you never had before. Everyone who was there visiting was in a deep sense of emotional thought and respect, you could so feel it all around you the entire time. It is a powerful experience I will never forget.

Here are some pictures I took.

HFrU5DDh.jpg

89sgY2Rh.jpg

bLO4DYkh.jpg

4LfsWkmh.jpg

PT0pfjyh.jpg

j4TPQ92h.jpg

5CjQzDrh.jpg

NbS4X7ih.jpg

dTw76iMh.jpg

Diesel fuel / oil is still to this day being leaked out of the ship- about 2-3 quarts a day. You can see the reflection in the water and you can smell it too. It is not a concern they said.

bU7C3pGh.jpg

A4A4oHuh.jpg

PzbSSUOh.jpg

HWXJBZhh.jpg

kEHeCRbh.jpg

VfjKV1vh.jpg

I went aboard the USS Missouri as well which was equally profound. My grandpa served WWII on a destroyer and this was a very meaningful experience for me.

Thanks you for the pics!

• MFDAC, tiretrx, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#8 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,154 Thanks
  • 1,193 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for sharing the pics, Austen.

• boyscout862 and Austen have said thanks

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,339 Thanks
  • 5,708 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 10:03 PM

Thanks Rick. My uncle Bill was a B-17 tail gunner. Shot down twice, made it to Switzerland once, dropped on the Allied side the other.....he made it home. My dad was a Merchant Marine, did the Murmansk run......and also made it home. I visited the WWII Museum in New Orleans last week, and they had a section dedicated to the Merchant Marines. That was pretty special for me. They also had a small structural piece of the Arizona among an incredible amount of other history on display. If anyone is ever able, don't miss this museum. It's an experience of a lifetime.

My sincere thanks, and respect, to all those who have served our great Nation.

I've always wants to visit that. I read a bunch of Stephen Ambrose books. He was one of the founders.