• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • Member No: 89051
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 11:21 AM

I had thought maybe the 96=96", but it just seemed really long to me.

Thanks a bunch, I'm going to grab a new belt after the holidays, snap some pics for you guys, and get this blower mounted up and running!

Ps- are you on TBN and YT? I recognize your username from last searches I've done regarding the Power King!

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas!
  • MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#32 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,138 Thanks
  • 1,415 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 12:47 PM

Hi yea I vist a few of different groups but this is my favorite really a great group in all the forums

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#33 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 27, 2017 - 12:20 PM

Agreed, this is a fantastic bunch of people here!

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#34 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 01, 2018 - 06:58 PM

Got the blower drive all moving freely, mounted up. Don't have the hydraulic lift arm bolted in yet for the picture. I need to tweak it all a bit, but it ate up some snow pretty well.

I'll snap some more pictures soon, after my test drive it was too dark for pics.

Edit: Pictures attached. In the mule drive pic, I hadn't installed the clutch spring assembly yet or the foot pedal for engagement. I'll take some better pics of that and get them up here. Quality of the cleared path picture is pretty horrible, looks like I took the picture with a potato! That reminds me, I need to pick up a few LEDs, two front, one rear should probably do it.

Edit2: I'll definitely be building a paddle kit for this blower, I found a few videos on youtube where installing a paddle kit really helps with the distance throwing. There was one guy that looked like he was snowblowing slush and water. That's right up my alley!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4165.JPG
  • blower.PNG
  • mule drive.PNG
  • snow.PNG
  • clear.PNG

Edited by shaeff, January 02, 2018 - 08:16 AM.

• Alc, MNGB, Leonard VanCamp and 1 other said thanks

#35 Mark 149 J. ONLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 2,386 Thanks
  • 1,347 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 12:05 AM

Looks like you're headed in the right direction!  You'll have it running to perfection in no time!

#36 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 38,419 Thanks
  • 45,945 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 07:22 AM

Good to see it working!

#37 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 03, 2018 - 08:15 AM

Thanks! The more I use this little machine, the more I like it! It's so much easier clearing snow with this vs my MF35. The PK is so much more compact. I've been scouting around my house for some old conveyor belt, if I don't have some I can get some from work that the mechanics are throwing out. Should make a pretty big difference with throwing distance and the ability to snow blow slush/water. I'll make sure I put up some pictures of that too, and also when we get a real storm I'll give more of my thoughts on the single stage blower. Thus far, I'm pleasantly surprised. Many people I've talked to said that SS blowers were terrible, that I was going to hate it, etc... 

That is just not the case!

• KennyP, MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#38 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 09:16 PM

Well, I just got back inside after clearing the driveway with the PK. Whiteout conditions, not even possible to take pics. Here are some things I've learned about snow blowing on a tractor. (Some of this is common sense and put in for humor :) )

-no matter which way you blow the snow, the wind blows it right back in your face.

-I need to put a small pipe over the cutting edge, or figure out better skid shoes. It digs in too much.

-I got one of the "helper" lift springs on, the pump was getting very warm and not lifting the blower quickly or high enough

-I looked like a snowman, but it sure beats shoveling!

-wind sucks!

-I'm traction limited in many cases, especially on the two inclines of the driveway.

That all being said, I'll be picking up some ski goggles, that should help a lot. I don't have a three point hitch on this machine, so I'm all ears on how to get some weight on the back end.

Maybe fill the tires with windshield washer fluid? Cast wheel weights (farmall cub weights fit the 16" rears? Or only the 24"s?)

Weld up a slide in deal for the frame rails, hang one or two concrete chimney rings off it for this winter. Quickest way for weight is best now, not a fan of working on things in the snow if I can help it!

#39 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,138 Thanks
  • 1,415 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 10:05 PM

Hi shaef, ballasting the rear tires with windshield fluid is very good way to add wt where its needed, look at my thread "started on a new PK project" my 73 doesn't have a 3 pt either and that actually made adding wt to the draw bar easier I use a lot of barbell wt you can get them cheap at garage sales and are very easy to adapt to any tractor. No  Cub rear wheel wt will only fit on 24" rear wheels there are 16" wheel wt but you have to be looking and be ready to jump on them there are a number of AG/ large tractors that had 16" front wheels and there were wt made for them the Case GT's had 16" rear wheels and those wt will fit. 

You are so right about the wind and yes without a cab one quickly becomes a snowman, I lowered the skid shoes on mine today also to get the blower up, I'll be following to see if you come up with a PVC pipe installation

Thanks for posting

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#40 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 1,465 Thanks
  • 839 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 10:49 PM

Watch the freeze point of the windshield washer fluid that you buy. Some of the cheap stuff doesn't go very low.

#41 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,138 Thanks
  • 1,415 posts

Posted January 04, 2018 - 10:54 PM

Great point JB there are some that are only good down to 32*F not a good deal for tires in MN or elsewhere  where it freezes.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#42 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 10:28 AM

Hi shaef, ballasting the rear tires with windshield fluid is very good way to add wt where its needed, look at my thread "started on a new PK project" my 73 doesn't have a 3 pt either and that actually made adding wt to the draw bar easier I use a lot of barbell wt you can get them cheap at garage sales and are very easy to adapt to any tractor. No  Cub rear wheel wt will only fit on 24" rear wheels there are 16" wheel wt but you have to be looking and be ready to jump on them there are a number of AG/ large tractors that had 16" front wheels and there were wt made for them the Case GT's had 16" rear wheels and those wt will fit. 

You are so right about the wind and yes without a cab one quickly becomes a snowman, I lowered the skid shoes on mine today also to get the blower up, I'll be following to see if you come up with a PVC pipe installation

Thanks for posting

I posted in your thread again, I don't have a drawbar either. Now I'm on the hunt for one!

Watch the freeze point of the windshield washer fluid that you buy. Some of the cheap stuff doesn't go very low.

Great point JB there are some that are only good down to 32*F not a good deal for tires in MN or elsewhere  where it freezes.

That's a mistake I certainly wouldn't want to make! I've never had my ww fluid freeze here in Upstate NY. We get temps down into 0° at times so whatever we have locally would be good to at least that. I recall most being good for down to -20°, I don't think that it's ever been that cold here, and if it is then freezing my rear tires is probably the least of my worries!

Thank you both!

#43 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,493 Thanks
  • 5,265 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 05:53 PM

Any chunk of weight chained, strapped, or otherwise fastened will give an advantage of traction.

#44 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted January 05, 2018 - 06:45 PM

I've got a heavy bucket of old tire chains, I may strap that to the back end for the time being!
  • shorty said thank you

#45 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • 2,138 Thanks
  • 1,415 posts

Posted January 06, 2018 - 01:12 PM

Hi shaeff I was looking at the picture of your PK and its not a Jim Dandy nor a 1612 (1612's weren't made until 1978) again looking at the picture your tractor would have been a Economy Power King, so I'm thinking the hitch on ebay should fit your tractor