• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • Member No: 89051
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 08:21 AM

That happens a lot in this hobby!  Always trying to find more time to have fun!

Seems to happen in every hobby I have! I love working on stuff, however I'd like to get this thing going enough to plow or snowblow with. We just got about 4" of heavy wet stuff. Luckily it was warm enough that I just ran over it with the vehicles to pack it down and it melted.

Congrats on a nice tractor!! Looks like you're not too far from me, I think Germantown is about an hour away. Post some pictures of your blower and I will see what I have, I have tons of manuals and ill be glad to help when I see which blower you have.

When they built these machines, they didn't chance much. The tin changed, but most of the mechanical parts stayed the same. If I remember correctly, any attachment from 1946-1973 will fit your machine, and there were a few blower designs, and yours may or may not be original to the tractor as well.

Hey Ryan, yep, about an hour away sounds right. My wife and I were at Angry Orchards just a few weeks ago, and she has relatives in New Paltz. I'll snap some pictures of the blower and undercarriage, hopefully tonight and post them tomorrow. I'm about to get very busy replacing the headgaskets, timing belt, and water pump on my younger sister's car. My dad and I trailered it home from Buffalo on Friday, so that's how every night after work will be spent until I can get the heads pulled and sent to the machine shop.

Thanks, all!

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#17 zuren OFFLINE  

zuren
  • Member No: 65629
  • 68 Thanks
  • 101 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 10:42 AM

Seems to happen in every hobby I have! I love working on stuff, however I'd like to get this thing going enough to plow or snowblow with. We just got about 4" of heavy wet stuff. Luckily it was warm enough that I just ran over it with the vehicles to pack it down and it melted.

Hey Ryan, yep, about an hour away sounds right. My wife and I were at Angry Orchards just a few weeks ago, and she has relatives in New Paltz. I'll snap some pictures of the blower and undercarriage, hopefully tonight and post them tomorrow. I'm about to get very busy replacing the headgaskets, timing belt, and water pump on my younger sister's car. My dad and I trailered it home from Buffalo on Friday, so that's how every night after work will be spent until I can get the heads pulled and sent to the machine shop.

Thanks, all!

Just as an FYI - the older Power Kings had a single stage snow blower that doesn't handle wet, heavy snow well.....or quickly.  On mine, I try to get out and blow when the snowfall is fresh and fluffy.  If it sets up and/or is wet, the 42" blower becomes more like a 24-28" blower since I can't take a full "bite" with the auger, and I have to go slow.  I don't know if a 2 stage can be retrofitted to these tractors or not.

I don't have a plow for mine so I will let others chime in with experience, but if your snow tends to be on the wetter side, a plow may be best.

• KennyP and shaeff have said thanks

#18 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 02:02 PM

Usually, once winter really sets in our snow will be more toward the powder spectrum. I may just mount the plow for this year anyway, I'm still unsure. As for the single stage not blowing wet stuff, I kinda figured that. Not a huge deal.

I'm pretty sure I can retrofit a two stage blower, I love building stuff, have a good welder, plasma cutter, torch, chop saw, all sorts of metal working stuff so I bet I could make or modify a mule drive to run a two stage setup.

Also, if the snow gets too wet, deep/heavy, I've got a '64 Massey Ferguson, with nearly 40 PTO HP and a 6' blower mounted to the back. One way or another, I'll get the snow off the driveway!
  • Mark 149 J. said thank you

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 11, 2017 - 04:30 PM

Just as an FYI - the older Power Kings had a single stage snow blower that doesn't handle wet, heavy snow well.....or quickly.  On mine, I try to get out and blow when the snowfall is fresh and fluffy.  If it sets up and/or is wet, the 42" blower becomes more like a 24-28" blower since I can't take a full "bite" with the auger, and I have to go slow.  I don't know if a 2 stage can be retrofitted to these tractors or not.

I don't have a plow for mine so I will let others chime in with experience, but if your snow tends to be on the wetter side, a plow may be best.

This reminds me, do you have a twin transmission on yours? the reason they started using the twin transmission is so that you can run the engine at working rpm and not have to ride the clutch when using a snow blower or tiller.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#20 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 12, 2017 - 08:19 AM

Mine's got the tandem transmissions, so I can really crawl if necessary. 

Ryan, here are the pics of my snowblower and the drive setup for it. Excuse the mess outdoors, I'm in the process of a proper full basement clean out and some of that stuff just got thrown out the doors!

In the first drive mechanism picture, on the right side. There are two steel bars bent at 90* angles. They swing freely and are held in with a washer and cotter pin. Any idea what those are for?

Edit: very last picture is of my MF35 Utility, just in case we really get hammered with snow!

Attached Thumbnails

• blower1.JPG
  • blower2.JPG
  • drive1.JPG
  • drive2.JPG
  • 35Blower.jpg

Edited by shaeff, December 12, 2017 - 08:27 AM.

#21 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 08:31 PM

I have a manual for your blower, unfortunately I don't have it on my flash drive of manuals, it is a paper copy I have. I can scan it for you, but I am not sure how so I have to wait for somebody who knows how to get home. If I dont get it uploaded tonight, I will tomorrow.

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 09:58 PM

I was able to get the manual uploaded, hope it helps. HERE

• Alc, KennyP, MNGB and 1 other said thanks

#23 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 13, 2017 - 11:33 PM

I was able to get the manual uploaded, hope it helps. HERE

EXCELLENT! Thank you, you're a life saver! I never would have guessed what those two rods were for, they're used to help pull the helper lift springs into place! Brilliant!

I also realize now that I may be missing a few bits. I'm going to download and print it tomorrow. Thanks again, that's EXACTLY what I needed!
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#24 DanielG OFFLINE  

DanielG
  • Member No: 89033
  • 86 Thanks
  • 91 posts

Posted December 16, 2017 - 07:08 AM

nice pk they were really made to work we have one that was just a frame and diff. when we got it anyway i found a wisconsin TJD with a three speed trany and put them together very useful around the place . this was about 10 years ago and it is like a member of the family

• shaeff said thank you

#25 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 12:09 AM

nice pk they were really made to work we have one that was just a frame and diff. when we got it anyway i found a wisconsin TJD with a three speed trany and put them together very useful around the place . this was about 10 years ago and it is like a member of the family

Thanks! Sounds like you guys love it!

I just finished rebuilding the carb last night, soaked the carb, jets, and bowl in MEK, (awesome for cleaning caked dirt, varnish, etc...)

Made basic adjustments according to the manual, removed a few links from the starter/genny belt and readjusted the tensioner, no more slipping. Fired right up! Also put a new plug in it, points, and the "points saver" thingy that removes/replaced the condenser. Runs like a top!

Next I'm going to adjust the governor, the linkage is sloppy.

I took the mule drive for the snowblower all apart. The clutch mecanism/ pulley was seized tight, wouldn't even move. Had to torch it cherry red to loosen it up! While apart, I've drilled the stationary collar for a grease zerk, just need to get some zerks and tap the hole appropriately. Then it all goes back together with new bolts, current bolts are rusted beyond use.

I also doused the blower chain with PB blast to loosen it up. It spun before, but some of the links didn't bent well. All good now, once the PB wears off, I'll oil it up with some chain lube. Blower chute was stuck fast, had to cut the cable, rusted and splintering. Penetrant all around the chute got it moving freely, now to replace the cable to spin it, and make a handle to spin it as well.

Greased up the whole machine, replaced a valve core in front tire, wasn't sealing. Drove it around a bit in the dark, needs a headlight, just one works. Might upgrade to LED since this is a working machine, not a restoration. Maybe add a rear light too. I'm rambling, I'll eventually post some more pics, but I've been working mostly in the dark so I need daytime pics!
  • Alc, MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#26 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,623 Thanks
  • 1,569 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 09:22 PM

Hi sheaff, sounds like your making progress on the PK I think you'll really like the tractor once you get it up and running. There are now LEDs that look just like the original bulbs and will fitting the rubber mts, I have 2 of my tractors with the points saver installed I think its a good thing is yours the original points saver or the newer one he now sells that looks like a condenser?

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 5,242 posts

Posted December 18, 2017 - 09:30 PM

Sounds like you've been making good progress!! I'm glad you're giving it some needed love

#28 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 08:27 AM

Hi sheaff, sounds like your making progress on the PK I think you'll really like the tractor once you get it up and running. There are now LEDs that look just like the original bulbs and will fitting the rubber mts, I have 2 of my tractors with the points saver installed I think its a good thing is yours the original points saver or the newer one he now sells that looks like a condenser?

I saw someone on here post a link to superbrightleds.com, I've done business with them before and had good luck with their products. I'll probably pick up some of their lights that fit the factory locations as you mentioned. Definitely the warm white color spectrum. Good to hear that you are using and enjoying the points saver, mine is the newer one, I think he markets it as the Transdenser or something like that. Neat little unit. 

This machine was getting hot and shutting down in warm weather, not as much of an issue in cooler weather, but I narrowed it down to the condenser getting hot and causing the motor to shut down. I replaced with the Transdenser and the problem went away. If that wasn't the issue, I'd have started looking around for a coil, even though hot and cold mine tested within specs.

Sounds like you've been making good progress!! I'm glad you're giving it some needed love

Yep, I've got many other things going on at the same time so the PK doesn't get my full attention. Once I get the mule drive for the blower back together, I need to source a spring or two and the belt. Then it should be good enough to use for this winter.

I'm also replacing the head gaskets on my sister's Subaru, got the motor out and stripped down last week, heads off to machine shop, picked up a timing belt/water pump kit and an oil pan since hers is a bit rusty. Heads should be back this week so my attention will be re-diverted back to the car. Busy time of year!

• Alc, MNGB and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#29 shaeff OFFLINE  

shaeff
  • 72 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 02:27 AM

Does anyone know the belt size for the 48" Haban blower? I can measure width, looking for length measurement. Parts manual says the belt is "A96S," but does not have any further information on it.

I suppose if nobody knows, I'll grab a piece of rope and find the closest measurement I can get, adjust as necessary.

#30 MNGB OFFLINE  

MNGB
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62466
  • 2,623 Thanks
  • 1,569 posts

Posted December 23, 2017 - 09:19 AM

Hi I went to vbelts4less and used the original PN sbb7 and their number came up as a A96K belt  1/2" X 96"

• Alc and Mark 149 J. have said thanks