• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:52 PM

What a great trip out on your property, Jim, thanks for taking us along! I always call my tractors "old fart atvs". You have shown me they can really be used as atv's---not  that your an old fart----that's me! I don't think I can have that nice of an adventure on my acre though!

DAC

These old farts are amazing. I told some guy I was going on a trip up there in the woods on my old Sears & he laughed at me. You just have to be safe & know how they handle & what their limitations are. All my trophies have their own personalities. Some I can stay centered in the saddle & some I keep a wedgie.  :D  I remember years ago being a green horn the first time I put chains on my MF12 & started up a hill. I had to leap up on top of the hood because it was going with me or without me. :biting_nails: 

• MFDAC and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#17 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:11 PM

Very nice there Jim, my Dad, Grandfather and I used to do wood the same way way back when I was a kid. 

I sure do miss those times and the property as most is long gone now!!! 

It is a blessing living out here. All my neighbors have big farms & no matter where you look its nice. Being in construction & seeing farms sold away to so called progress is so sad. I think about all the work & sacrifices made to make these farms home now all gone.

• KennyP, MFDAC and EricR have said thanks

#18 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:13 PM

Donuts and coffee.  You're not a policeman are you?    :D

Nice looking property.  Glad that you got some quality seat time.   :thumbs:   Rick

No I'm not a cop but have the up most respect for them. I just like a good snack & coffee.  :thumbs: 

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#19 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:15 PM

This is a great post.  Beautiful trail, some nice hood shots making your way there, awesome cart with a couple chainsaws, and thermos of coffee and a donut.  Could not be more perfect.  Thanks for making my day.

I wanted to take a video but had to use both hands steering most of the time & having to slide back & forth on my seat. My son has a GoPro I might try the next time with a head mount. Glad you enjoyed it!

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#20 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:16 PM

That's living, Jim! Your property is beautiful, what a great way to spend the day. Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

Yeah it was a lot of fun. I think the challenge & excitement of everything working so well made it special for me too. My pleasure!

• KennyP, MFDAC and tiretrx have said thanks

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,305 Thanks
  • 44,883 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 05:28 PM

I'm glad you are enjoying the property! I'd love something like that to ride around on!

• MFDAC and Sawdust have said thanks

#22 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,310 Thanks
  • 5,692 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 10:35 PM

Your right about that. So far I haven't taken a liking to the UTV's yet...too costly. I have friends that have a Kubota, John Deere 825, & the Polaris Ranger. They all love them & tell me that's the only way to go now on a farm. I have been looking at some ATV's like the Honda Foreman, Yamaha Grizzly, Suzuki Eiger & the Polaris Sportsman. I don't need anything fancy just a good solid worker. I'm educating myself on the pros & cons of each. It seems like they all have an issue or so. My wife & I stopped by a local Polaris & Can-Am dealer a few weeks ago. They had probably one of the best looking ATV's I've seen the Can-Am Highlander Touring with a price tag of nearly $12,000. My wife fell in love with it but all she took home that night was her picture on it. She would have bought that then but no way!

No thrills 4x4 tough 4 wheeler is a honda foreman all the way. Or a smaller size package that is just as potent the honda rancher.

They all have problems but the honda is hands down the most reliable vehicle ever made. I can't think of any huge draw backs for the honda. Maybe brakes are a poor design on the older units (drums that always fail due to water entering them) if I was going to buy one it would be the newer model with EFI. It is simply amazing. The rancher 420 I had would fire up and run at 5 degrees outside the same as it would fire up and run at 90 degrees outside.

The utv are very costly to buy then to properly maintain over time. But if you consider that can am (way over priced products and have a slew of problems) is 12k you can buy a ranger 500 brand new for 8k and a ranger 570 for 10k. Much more useful and better resale.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 07, 2017 - 10:37 PM.