• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 12:50 PM

I built this cart back in the summer & it has been so vital in working around the yard & garden. We've lived here in the country for over two years now. Our house sits on 48 acres but only about one acre around the house that's fenced in. A lot of the property is only accessible by one so called road that is more like a trail. My only 4 wheel drive vehicle is the family Jeep GC but would never take it up that road because I would be homeless once I got back.  :D  I took my MTD 990 on a dry run a few weeks ago back to the woods & it done very well but since it sits so high I had a few two wheel moments. The trail is about 3-5 feet wide & empties into several clearings along the way. It has a lot of rock surfaces & has several slopes that I have to do a lot of side saddle movements to keep all four wheels on the ground. It takes around 30-40 minutes mostly in second gear low to get from my shop to where I cut wood. 

I loaded up the chain saw caddy with all the things I thought I would need for this journey. I'm thinking now the box could be a little bigger.

20171203_152959_resized.jpg

I chose my Sears SS 15 because it is gear driven & sits very low compared to my others. I kept the turf tires on but only have about five pounds of air in them along with 50lb. weights on each wheel. This was a very good combination never once did it spin. Here is the beginning of the trail. It's misleading because once you go up it immediately turns to the right into the rocky areas.

20171204_145700_resized.jpg 20171204_121123_resized.jpg

These are a few pics of the trail. 

20171204_121229_resized.jpg 20171204_121250_resized.jpg 20171204_121649_resized.jpg 20171204_122123_resized.jpg 20171204_122437_resized.jpg

If you look at the very top of the pic where the bare trees are this is my destination.

20171204_122537_resized.jpg 20171204_122837_resized.jpg

After the 40 minute trip & a little stress I rewarded myself with a break before cutting.

20171204_123300_resized.jpg

I only cut two dead hickory trees down about 10" in diameter. I marked a lot of trees back in the late summer that were dead. Since this was my first trip I didn't want to overload the trailer until I seen how it did going back. It's mostly down hill on the way back. 

20171204_123643_resized.jpg 20171204_142403_resized.jpg

I was very impressed with everything. I knew the tractor would do well because its a mule on wheels. The trailer did well over the rocky terrain & was very solid. I got off on a side slope once to see If I could lift the trailer on the high side to see how close it would tip. It wasn't going anywhere. The caddy worked out well, everything stayed organized & kept the bed free for just the wood. My next trip I will load a lot more wood. The tractor didn't even know it was pulling anything & the trailer has had a lot more weight on it before many times. I still won't stack the wood too high so I can keep the center of gravity to my favor.

We don't have cell service only texting & the land line. My wife kept her cell phone handy & I text her several times to let her know I was ok. I wore an orange vest so I would easily be seen if I got hurt, I had my cell phone, pistol with ammo, a come along, tow rope with hooks, rags & some first aide items. I don't want to sound dramatic but going this far from home on a tractor you have to be safe. I hope you enjoyed my trip & didn't get bored. I'm a lover of the outdoors year round. This trip was not only beneficial but enjoying God's handiwork is amazing.

• Alc, KennyP, CRFarnsworth and 9 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 9,310 Thanks
  • 5,692 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 01:56 PM

Rough journey on a gt! A nice utility sxs would be just about perfect for that!
  • MFDAC, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,135 Thanks
  • 8,864 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 02:19 PM

Using a GT at its best. Makes it all pay for itself. For your info, a cord of dry hardwood is equivalent to 200 gallons of #2 heating oil. I suggest that you carry a tire pump in the tool box. I've got alot of tires that go down slowly. They become more evident when loaded.

I used to carry a .22 pistol before I had a cell phone(about 25 years ago). I figured that I could shoot a tree three times wait a minute then repeat up 20 times. Then one day I took a break in the middle of the afternoon, shut off the engine and relaxed. In a ten minute break, I heard several shots. I decided that nobody would notice my shooting and got a cell phone. Now, we have a colony of feral cats in town(thankyou to the people that feed them). They have rabies in their midst and atleast one child is having to be treated for rabies. Last week there was a racoon that acted rabid about 1/2 mile away. I guess I'll dig out a pistol incase a cat comes around when I'm cutting wood. Good Luck, Rick

• KennyP, MFDAC, Sawdust and 1 other said thanks

#4 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 8,192 Thanks
  • 3,952 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 03:50 PM

Very nice spot you have there. Boy, I would love to do that. Nice trailer too.

Noel 

• KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 4,934 Thanks
  • 2,169 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 06:20 PM

It's hard to beat a day like that, Jim. It's best to be prepared and have something to drink and snack on, too. The Sears Suburbans are great workhorses for this type of work and wheel weights are a must. Chains really add to the traction, especially when going over wet dead limbs and slippery leaves. The way the woods are here, I need to use chains to get up some of the hills and over obstacles if really heaping up the trailer. Using these GT'S to haul firewood out is one of my favorite things to do. It's great to put them to use and be out in the woods.
  • KennyP, MFDAC, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,305 Thanks
  • 44,883 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 06:28 PM

Nice looking scenery there, but I would be trimming back those cedars to keep the trail open!

• MFDAC, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,994 Thanks
  • 1,509 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 09:26 PM

What a great trip out on your property, Jim, thanks for taking us along! I always call my tractors "old fart atvs". You have shown me they can really be used as atv's---not  that your an old fart----that's me! I don't think I can have that nice of an adventure on my acre though!

DAC

Edited by MFDAC, December 06, 2017 - 09:27 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#8 EricR ONLINE  

EricR
  • Member No: 9495
  • 591 Thanks
  • 379 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 09:35 PM

Very nice there Jim, my Dad, Grandfather and I used to do wood the same way way back when I was a kid. 

I sure do miss those times and the property as most is long gone now!!! 

• Sawdust and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#9 CRFarnsworth ONLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 4,519 Thanks
  • 2,080 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 09:45 PM

Donuts and coffee.  You're not a policeman are you?    :D 

Nice looking property.  Glad that you got some quality seat time.   :thumbs:   Rick

• Sawdust said thank you

#10 ShotgunWedding ONLINE  

ShotgunWedding

Garlic Jedi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 84933
  • 436 Thanks
  • 207 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 11:44 AM

This is a great post.  Beautiful trail, some nice hood shots making your way there, awesome cart with a couple chainsaws, and thermos of coffee and a donut.  Could not be more perfect.  Thanks for making my day.

• Sawdust said thank you

#11 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 2,139 Thanks
  • 1,190 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 12:55 PM

That's living, Jim! Your property is beautiful, what a great way to spend the day. Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

• Sawdust said thank you

#12 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:20 PM

Rough journey on a gt! A nice utility sxs would be just about perfect for that!

Your right about that. So far I haven't taken a liking to the UTV's yet...too costly. I have friends that have a Kubota, John Deere 825, & the Polaris Ranger. They all love them & tell me that's the only way to go now on a farm. I have been looking at some ATV's like the Honda Foreman, Yamaha Grizzly, Suzuki Eiger & the Polaris Sportsman. I don't need anything fancy just a good solid worker. I'm educating myself on the pros & cons of each. It seems like they all have an issue or so. My wife & I stopped by a local Polaris & Can-Am dealer a few weeks ago. They had probably one of the best looking ATV's I've seen the Can-Am Highlander Touring with a price tag of nearly $12,000. My wife fell in love with it but all she took home that night was her picture on it. She would have bought that then but no way! 

• KennyP and MFDAC have said thanks

#13 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:30 PM

Using a GT at its best. Makes it all pay for itself. For your info, a cord of dry hardwood is equivalent to 200 gallons of #2 heating oil. I suggest that you carry a tire pump in the tool box. I've got alot of tires that go down slowly. They become more evident when loaded.

I used to carry a .22 pistol before I had a cell phone(about 25 years ago). I figured that I could shoot a tree three times wait a minute then repeat up 20 times. Then one day I took a break in the middle of the afternoon, shut off the engine and relaxed. In a ten minute break, I heard several shots. I decided that nobody would notice my shooting and got a cell phone. Now, we have a colony of feral cats in town(thankyou to the people that feed them). They have rabies in their midst and atleast one child is having to be treated for rabies. Last week there was a racoon that acted rabid about 1/2 mile away. I guess I'll dig out a pistol incase a cat comes around when I'm cutting wood. Good Luck, Rick

Since I'm only burning wood in the shop right now I think a few trips with a full trailer load would do me a winter. It was a lot of fun doing this. I'm glad you mentioned a tire pump I never thought about that. I have one of the older battery packs with a battery jumper & air compressor that I keep charged all the time would work good. Years ago I met a pack of wild dogs in the woods on some other property we  had & all I had was that Stihl chain saw in the pic. I fired that up & chased them away. It was a scary moment with thoughts of the saw not starting. Now I carry a Ruger 40 SLRC with a spare clip. We have coyotes here & sightings of bobcats recently plus you never know when a trespassing hunter might show up. 

• KennyP, MFDAC and EricR have said thanks

#14 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:39 PM

It's hard to beat a day like that, Jim. It's best to be prepared and have something to drink and snack on, too. The Sears Suburbans are great workhorses for this type of work and wheel weights are a must. Chains really add to the traction, especially when going over wet dead limbs and slippery leaves. The way the woods are here, I need to use chains to get up some of the hills and over obstacles if really heaping up the trailer. Using these GT'S to haul firewood out is one of my favorite things to do. It's great to put them to use and be out in the woods.

I had chains on it before but there's just too many rock in some areas getting up to the flatter areas. Your right about the wet leaves. I never backed down too far into the woods because of the leaves. I was able to toss most of the wood into the trailer & of coarse I picked the closest trees to get to on this trial trip. Now that you mentioned the chains it might be a good idea to take a set along. I've seen your rigs before & liked them. The one pic you had your trailer was really stacked. I hauled half of a skid steer bucket load of top soil in this trailer with out any problems back in the summer. I know I can haul a lot more wood the next trip.

#15 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • 5,431 Thanks
  • 3,285 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 04:43 PM

Nice looking scenery there, but I would be trimming back those cedars to keep the trail open!

I did a little last year & it improved it a lot. If I had a truck I didn't care to scratch up I could get up there but I don't think it would be as much fun.  :D I also moved some rocks from the higher sides across to the lower sides to keep things somewhat level.