• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BolensH14 OFFLINE  

BolensH14
  • Member No: 88663
  • 1 Thanks
  • 10 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 02:44 PM

I have an oil leak around the axle on the diff lock side.  I assume there is an oil seal on the outboard side of the bearing. Can that be replaced easily?  The old post about seal replacement on this forum makes it sound pretty complicated.

Source for the new seal?

John

New Hampshire

#2 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,125 Thanks
  • 6,232 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 03:23 PM

One of our sponsors will have the seal so you have it in hand before you start.  Not to bad a job.  Helps if you have a seal puller.  Download the parts manual from the manuals section for the right part number.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 14,809 Thanks
  • 18,054 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 05:37 PM

Have them instock but need to know if its a Hydro or Gear drive tubeframe to link you the correct parts

Two seals are on the differential side , if its your first time it will definitely be a learning experience but nothing you cant overcome if you have mechanical abilities

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 304 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted December 07, 2017 - 12:31 PM

Cut a piece of plastic soda bottle and wrap it around the axle before you to to put the inner seal in. (it keeps the seal lip from catching the edge).

#5 nsengineer OFFLINE  

nsengineer
  • Member No: 86754
  • 93 Thanks
  • 59 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 05:55 PM

Also check the brass bushing in there behind the seal.  Good chance its worn causing the axle to "lift" away from the seal slightly causing a leak.  They should still be avail as well and also a good idea to replace while your in there.

#6 dtsh ONLINE  

dtsh
  • Member No: 82586
  • 232 Thanks
  • 156 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 08:14 PM

If you're familiar with tearing into machinery, it's trivial; if not, it's a good learning experience and not really difficult. Assuming it's a somewhat new experience, read the manuals, search old posts here, and go slow. I take pictures as I go so I have a reminder of how it looked for reference. It's not an expensive repair either.

Edited by dtsh, December 08, 2017 - 08:28 PM.