23 replies to this topic

#1 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • Member No: 40803
  • 13 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 11:15 AM

Hello all,

I'm having a hard time finding the correct rebuild kit for the carb on the 1650 tractor I got from my father in law.

The only markings I see on it are the manufacturer Walbro and the numbers 52 1930.  Anyone know where I can get parts or a replacement? The tractor sat for 5 years which led to the fuel turning to varnish which led to the fuel bowl seal going bad and the fuel bowl developing rust on the inside.  I cleaned it up well but it still will sputter and stumble sometimes at idle or under load. 

Appreciate any help

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 664 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 12:41 PM

There are generic carbs on eBay for around $30, lots of guys over on the Cub forum have used them and say they work great. The walbro carb is non adjustable and not very well liked, the generic carbs are a clone of the much more popular Carter carb.

Edited by olds45512, December 05, 2017 - 12:44 PM.

#3 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 13 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 12:50 PM

Thank you for your response.

So in theory any one of those carbs listed for a 1650 or k341 should work is what you're saying?

I did pick up one from an online retailer for about $30 but it was very different.  The choke lever was too short and the throttle linkage require much modification to work.  I didn't even try to run fuel through it in case I want to attempt to return it.  I had considered taking apart both carbs to try and make one that worked but I'm not even sure I should attempt that due to potential differences.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

#4 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 664 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Thank you for your response.

So in theory any one of those carbs listed for a 1650 or k341 should work is what you're saying?

I did pick up one from an online retailer for about $30 but it was very different.  The choke lever was too short and the throttle linkage require much modification to work.  I didn't even try to run fuel through it in case I want to attempt to return it.  I had considered taking apart both carbs to try and make one that worked but I'm not even sure I should attempt that due to potential differences.  Do you have any thoughts on this?

Depending on which on you get it might be necessary to switch out the choke lever.
  • Gettysburg150 said thank you

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 01:24 PM

Sounds identical to the walbro carb on the M12 (basically a K301) on my woods ZTR. Walbro #52 shouldn't be hard at all to find a kit. There's a love/hate thing on the walbro carbs. I think it must be a Monday/Friday thing when they were made. In any case I would rather have That walbro over one of the cheapie offshore garbage available today.

#6 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 13 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thank you both very much

Initially I figured for $30 a new carb sounded like a no brainer until I got it in my hand and seen how different it was.

I sort of want to stick with the walbro just because I believe its original (father in law bought the tractor new in the 70's) and I like how I have the linkages set up currently.  I added a fuel filter under the fuel tank and it's kind of taking up too much room for the different throttle linkage too.  I'll keep looking but if anyone sees anything worth sharing I'd be happy to look at it

#7 olds45512 ONLINE  

olds45512
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 664 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 02:05 PM

Thank you both very much

Initially I figured for $30 a new carb sounded like a no brainer until I got it in my hand and seen how different it was.

I sort of want to stick with the walbro just because I believe its original (father in law bought the tractor new in the 70's) and I like how I have the linkages set up currently.  I added a fuel filter under the fuel tank and it's kind of taking up too much room for the different throttle linkage too.  I'll keep looking but if anyone sees anything worth sharing I'd be happy to look at it

take the fuel filter off, fuel filter and a gravity feed system don't generally mix and can cause issues like the ones you are having.

#8 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 13 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 02:18 PM

Will do, did not think it would be an issue and just wanted to add a little protection.  I'll put a new section of fuel line on with the original carb and see how she does.

#9 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 12:56 AM

Find a used Kohler Carter #30 carb and throw a rebuilt kit in it. Trust me you will not regret it.  

Walbro carbs are complete garbage especially on a kohler engine. Very hard to clean and they do not idle down very well on a kohler. They have a tendency to run rich at WOT and Lean at Idle. It's impossible to get a Kohler to idle down below 1200 rpm with a Walbro carb and still run ok at WOT.

The 1st thing I did when I got my Cub 149 was get rid of the Walbro carb that was on it. The difference in performance and reliability alone is worth it. It ran ALOT smoother and seemed to have quite a bit more low end torque. And it would idle down nice and low.

Before with the Walbro carb it was sputtering and coughed every time I ran over a bump in the yard. It would bog down and almost stall if you jammed the hydro leaver forward from a dead stop. It did the same thing after I cleaned and rebuilt it, even after setting the float at different levels.  With the #30 Carter on it there is no more sputtering or cutting out and it has Alot more grunt.   

I've cleaned and rebuilt and tuned alot of Walbro carbs over the years. Tecumsehs seem to run ok with them but the cast iron Kohlers don't like them at all. There not a very well designed carb in the 1st place, especially the very restricted idle circuits.

• EricR and Gettysburg150 have said thanks

#10 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 13 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 01:27 PM

Has anyone made a purchase from "I save tractors" website that lists a bunch of carburetors and parts for the K series? I'm about to place an order for a reproduction #30 carter ( I still think the old walbro is just too far gone with how much stuff I keep finding in it) but I don't know if its a reputable site.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 02:31 PM

No I haven't dealt with them, have seen more people asking if they are ok to deal with than people who have dealt with them. At least I haven't heard anything bad about them. But yeah, the Kohler/Carter carbs were a better unit than the walbro... Love or hate with them. I'd still rather take my chances with a walbro having a 50/50 shot at a good one than today's reproduction ones. Some of the walbro carbs had 1 mixture adjustment screw on them. The older Kohler/Carter ones have 2. The biggest thing to watch for on those is throttle shaft and shaft bore wear which is no big deal to fix. Done several of them.
But if left alone can cause running issues and of course sick in unfiltered air around the shaft.

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 02:32 PM

I'd still stay away from the reproduction ones no matter who you get them from. You're better with a properly rebuilt original.

#13 Gettysburg150 OFFLINE  

Gettysburg150
  • 13 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 04:15 PM

I'll try to get a couple pictures of the Walbro I have tonight and maybe you can point me in the right direction to get some parts.  I've had no luck searching online for parts.

#14 Mark 149 J. OFFLINE  

Mark 149 J.

Mark J.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 78623
  • 1,875 Thanks
  • 1,105 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 05:17 PM

Has anyone made a purchase from "I save tractors" website that lists a bunch of carburetors and parts for the K series? I'm about to place an order for a reproduction #30 carter ( I still think the old walbro is just too far gone with how much stuff I keep finding in it) but I don't know if its a reputable site.

I have!

I bought one for my sons cub 122 with the kohler 12 hp K301.  I had to change out the choke with the one they included to make it work.  So far, no problems.  I'd buy another one from them if I need too.

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 05:52 PM

if you look up the engine by model and type numbers on a site such as Pat's small engine or Jack's small engine parts it should come up easily....