• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 06:39 AM

Congrats there Daniel. It's kinda cool to be mentioned in the paper like that. Lady where I retired from sent me a picture of me in the Austin American Statesman shaking hands with the Chief of Police about 8 months ago. Hope I never read my name in the obits.

I'd rather read my name in the obits, than not be able to.

In the words of Mark Twain, "the reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated"

#17 Rozwell Ranch OFFLINE  

Rozwell Ranch

• Member No: 2224
  • 5 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:13 AM

I was raised on a milking and row crop farm in NW Iowa. Had a consistent milking herd of 24 Holsteins with 6 extra for calf rotation. That was back when 200 acres of corn, soy beans, oats, alfalfa, sorghum for silage, and dairy pasture would make an honest living. When the area milking industry went out like the hoola hoop, we were sunk and sold out in 1972. We were even the 4th largest producer on our milk man's pick up route.

Ever since I can remember, my sister and I got up early and helped milk until it was time to get ready for school. Then helped in the field after school and milked in the evening. We had 5 John Deeres and only 1 was electric start. I learned to start and drive our H John Deere when I was 8yo. Had 3 can milk coolers before converting to Grade B bulk tank system. The milk coolers were great for water melons and cold beer on a hot summer day. (Yeah, Dad would give me a half can of beer when the hay bales were all stacked away in the barn hay loft)

Congrats Daniel.... my hat's off to anyone who still milks cows and the word "vacation" doesn't fit in their vocabulary.

#18 ducky OFFLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:34 AM

Congrads Dan
Most of the dairy farms around here are between 2000 to 10,000 head. These large operations have out numbered the smaller ones around here.

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:46 AM

Its a 365 days a year job.

Hats off to you Daniel :beerchug:

Right on the money!365 days for life! While I was a town kid, I spent part of every summer on my uncles Dairy Farm.
In 50 yrs, my uncle could never go anywhere that he did not have to be home by "milking time".
It's not just a job, it's a lifetime commitment!
While I respect those who do it, and really enjoyed working with the animals.
That is the reason I have no intention of keeping animals on my little hobby farm.

#20 chopperfreak2k1 OFFLINE  

chopperfreak2k1

Tractorholic

• Member No: 300
  • 17 Thanks
  • 431 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 01:21 AM

congrats Daniel! for medical reasons i drink roughly a gallon a day, so i hope i'm helping you out.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:07 AM

congrats Daniel! for medical reasons i drink roughly a gallon a day, so i hope i'm helping you out.

Milk does a body good, so I especially hope it's helping you!