3 replies to this topic

#1 Chepukoi OFFLINE  

Chepukoi
  • Member No: 87940
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 07:14 PM

Hey Guys!

Newbie here from Canada, I've been working on an MF10 for a couple of months and I think I'm pretty close to success but I would like your inputs on how to solve a brake issue...the drum was broken when I bought the tractor....soldered it twice but it keeps falling apart, I also have a hard time getting the replacement key inside. Any idea on other braking system I could install or how to fix it the way it is?

Thanks!!!

Fyi, I replaced the Tecumseh engine with a Honda GX390, I can post more pictures if you want....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2247.jpg
  • IMG_2248.jpg
  • IMG_2246.jpg
  • $_27.jpg

• limebuzz said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 13,555 Thanks
  • 9,430 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 07:56 PM

Welcome to GTT. That is a nice machine. You may be able to get a welder to braze that but it is not a great idea to take chances with brakes. Check with our sponsors for a used brake drum. Joes' has helped me with my less common GTs. There is a possibility that the drum is generic and you might find it in a Grainger or Mc Master catalog. BTW check out our Manuals Section that you might need. Three free downloads per day. Good Luck, Rick
  • Chepukoi said thank you

#3 Chepukoi OFFLINE  

Chepukoi
  • Member No: 87940
  • 6 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 08:19 PM

Thanks boyscout862,

I will try to find a replacement drum...to be honest, I don't trust the little key that make it stops, seems so weak for the load, especially with the snow thrower attached. I was thinking of drilling a hole straight trough the drum and the shaft!!!

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 42,898 Thanks
  • 31,941 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 09:18 PM

I advise against drilling through the shaft.  The shaft will be substantially weaker, and breakage might occur.  That key will actually hold a huge load.  That same drum is used on a multitude of GT's, so finding used should be a snap.

• KennyP, boyscout862 and Chepukoi have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mf10, mf 10, massey10, massey 10, brake