• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,432 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted December 17, 2017 - 09:25 AM

i know that eastwood makes a powdercoating kit where you can do it yourself if you have a spare electric oven......they say not to use a gas oven.....and of course don't use the one in your kitchen...... I go to auctions (too often) and see household ovens go for 10 or less when they have them, and I have plenty of 220v plugs in the garage. I would probably  set it up on a couple of pallets  behind the garage and throw a tarp over it in between uses

#17 GTpicker01 ONLINE  

GTpicker01

GT Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 42575
  • 704 Thanks
  • 591 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 09:09 AM

I personally like powder coating for some things and not for others. My wife works for a powder coating company called keystone koating so I get things coated for free through her. I like to get rims coated if they are nice because I really don't enjoy painting them, i seem to always get more paint runs on rims. I have coated an entire IH #2 dumpcart and many rims. It is true though that if your metal is pitted, use paint. If you coat pitted metal you can see metal under the coating around th edges of the pit. 

Something else I have done is have pitted items is have them primed with powder coat primer. It seems to be thicker than finish stuff. You just absolutely HAVE to sand it before you apply paint. Ask me how i know that lol. Just remember that powder coating can be expensive so just weigh the cost. Black and white is usually always cheaper than any other color too.  

All the items that I have had coated have never peeled. It's all in the metal prep for powder coating, some are better than others. Just my 2 cents.

20160531_185050.jpg

I had this reel mower minus the engine powder coat primed and painted it myself. 

20150609_201323.jpg

Had the rims powder coated on this.

Mike

• dodge trucker said thank you

#18 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,432 Thanks
  • 3,122 posts

Posted December 19, 2017 - 05:24 PM

they charged us (my son and me, he used to work for them)  $350 to blast and powdercoat basically 2 pallets worth of stuff...

augers, impeller, main housing,  pcs of chute, scraper edge and retailer, and belt guard, and a plow blade (only) for an IH Original....

the auger and impeller are black, the plow blade is off white with the rest what they called "UHaul orange".  about $100 more than I expected it to be, for the whole works.

#19 WVDeere110 OFFLINE  

WVDeere110
  • Member No: 89195
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 25, 2017 - 06:51 PM

I have just recently had a lot of items wheel,fender deck,and a ton of other stuff powder coated..I’m happy with the turn out,it’s tuff stuff.

I’ve got the whole tractor down to frame and have already painted it with JD spray can,it looks awsome but when I take my finger nail across it and it leaves a mark it makes me wanna do the whole frame in powder