• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 10:29 PM

like title says.   anyone out there powdercoat instead of paint? (or have powdercoated) I am afraid to, as alot of machines I have seen that  were powdercoated from the factory and while mostly durable, when it does lose its grip it peels in sheets, not like paint that generally just gets scratched up...  I know it costs more than regular old paint.  in your opinion is powdercoating worth it. on something that will get used?

#2 larrybl OFFLINE  

larrybl

Texas Member

• Site Supporter
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 415
  • 6,758 Thanks
  • 4,301 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 10:41 PM

I end up grinding failed power coat off and sand down to make smooth then paint with enamel. at $3.00 a can I can't go wrong. Just did this on a 10 cart, I should have grinded more as the paint really shows the power coat failures. Could use a blast cabinet that a 10 cart would fit in.  

Edited by larrybl, December 02, 2017 - 10:42 PM.

#3 Dayton_King ONLINE  

Dayton_King
  • Member No: 68926
  • 1,005 Thanks
  • 948 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 10:43 PM

This my 2 cents. If your metal is perfect powder coat is a good option. You can match paint to it and it is hard as nails finish.

I have seen a few tractors powder coated that the metal was pitted. The end result looked bad. Pitted metal you can Bondi and paint. Powder coat requires bare metal
  • boyscout862, dodge trucker and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 11:03 PM

well in the case of my current project at hand bare metal is no issue.

and I have seen powdercoat level and fill some pits to make it look smooth as glass again, just depends on how bad the pits are.

Edited by dodge trucker, December 02, 2017 - 11:04 PM.

#5 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,982 Thanks
  • 5,036 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 02:00 AM

I think it was Hankg that had a tractor powdercoated. Turned out nice.

#6 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,133 Thanks
  • 1,127 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 07:53 AM

Never powdercoated a tractor. I do usually get my wheels powdercoated and they seem to hold up really well. I also had a brinly plow done. Paint on everything else.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#7 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 08:38 AM

so wheels and attachments get powdercoat and the machine itself gets paint, right?

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

HAZMAT CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 13,527 Thanks
  • 9,821 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 09:32 AM

I have an hvlp paint gun and an air compressor. I do not have a powder coating booth. I do things myself or they don't get done, so I can't give an opinion on preference.

I also don't have an air compressor big enough to run a sandblaster, which is why I have no interest in my neighbor's 318 that needs a paint job.
  • olcowhand, Gtractor and dodge trucker have said thanks

#9 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 9,139 Thanks
  • 6,240 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 11:25 AM

Sand blast and quality enamel done myself.  No one to blame if it turns out bad down the road.

Edited by chieffan, December 03, 2017 - 11:25 AM.

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 12:00 PM

I have never sprayedwith hvlp, only conventional guns.... topic for another day.

I have a pressure pot sandblaster, pretty good one, not one of these newer China made wannabees.

I have a 5hp 80 gallon 2 stage compressor,

what I dont have is time right now, too many projects going at once, would like to get this blower (at least) ready for action fairly soon, not an absolute necessity though. would be a good time saver if I had it though.

My Dad had a Sears 4/20 2 stage walk behind that he had bought new, after that thing was about 10 years old it was an every other year project to dismantle the bucket, strip it and paint it.  I'm at the 1st strip and paint for this monster. I don't want to be doing it again in 2 years because it gets all scraped up and rusty looking.

I have seen lots of blowers like mine on CL all peeled and rusty in need of teardown and paint/powder.    I'd like as close to "one and done" as possible/practical. 

#11 tractorskipper OFFLINE  

tractorskipper
  • Member No: 25019
  • 325 Thanks
  • 240 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 09:26 PM

In my opinion, you can't "one & done" and also use it.  Equipment that is used gets wear & tear on the finish too.  I have a 2320 JD bought new with a loader that was powder coated.  As a poster said above, once it starts, it peels off like old wallpaper.  I would never spend the money for powder for something I plan to use.  It does make a nice smooth show finish though.

Skip

#12 olds45512 OFFLINE  

olds45512
  • Member No: 77943
  • 1,311 Thanks
  • 664 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 01:54 PM

I do powder coating at work and it's plenty durable when done properly. The main difference between powder coat done at a factory and having it done by someone like me is the prep, at the factory they just clean the metal and then coat it with a chemical to make the powder stick, once that chemical bond wears off the powder will start to peel. Everything I do gets sandblasted first which gives the powder a rough surface to adhere to and removes all contamination. I can powder coat a piece of steel and then bend it in a metal brake and it won't crack or come off.

Edited by olds45512, December 06, 2017 - 02:15 PM.

• dodge trucker and Jazz have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 06:10 PM

I have had stuff coated before, for sure. the biggest job I ever had done, was 2 jobs ago (for my son not me)  and about 5 years ago, my son worked at a small factory nearby where he was the powdercoat guy for a while.

I had my trailer full of the components of my 2 post hoist that I had bought from CL, the columns were a job and a half to load onto that trailer.

plans were to leave the hoist tarped on teh trailer until spring then untarp and set up in my garage. 

Well I got my current job back then and found myself needing my trailer emptied so I could haul my toolbox to the then new job from my home garage.

I asked my son it he could possibly ask his boss if he could unload my hoist columns there for just a day or 2, then once I got my toolbox moved, he could then load them up and get them outta there. Thing is they had a forklift and I don't.

A week went by then 2, and more and I asked where my stuff was.... the kid claimed that someone parked a dead tractor right in front of it, and until they could get that machine going again so they could move it, my stuff couldn't be accessed to load and bring home.  Not a big deal, it was out of my way there anyways, and I wasn't gonna put it up til after winter anyways...

One day he just showed up with my lift, all powdercoated like brand new.... I have taken small things there since and had them done along the way, I plan to take this snow blower housing there (or have the kid drop it off for me) and have them do their thing.... since winter is among us, I don't have room in the garage to do any large scale painting, at the moment and am buried in projects, some of mine some not...  so in the interest of getting it done where it can do me some good this season, that's the only way it's gonna happen...... hopefully it holds up and don't peel.  

I see the underside of lots of pickup trucks in my job and most of what I see on frames and such is peeled powdercoat.

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 06:12 PM

I have an hvlp paint gun and an air compressor. I do not have a powder coating booth. I do things myself or they don't get done, so I can't give an opinion on preference.

I also don't have an air compressor big enough to run a sandblaster, which is why I have no interest in my neighbor's 318 that needs a paint job.

really? from your other post I thought it was because the neighbor is a pain

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,128 Thanks
  • 2,842 posts

Posted December 14, 2017 - 07:13 PM

i just got my snowblower attachment back already from being blasted and coated, man it looks great but  ouch..... wasn't cheap .but it's done.

hopefully it lasts at least as long as  factory original coatings do,  though I have seen quite a range  in how long that is.....