• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kwbreazeale OFFLINE  

kwbreazeale
  • Member No: 89022
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 10:32 AM

I have a 2013 Craftsman 42 inch 21hp riding mower manufactured by Husqvarna with a Tuff Torq transaxle. I recently threw the drive belt and destroyed the plastic calling fan on the transaxle.  I bought a replacement fan but I cannot figure-out anyway to "lock" the transaxle so that I can remove the nut that hold the fan on the transaxle.  This mower has a special transaxle release that must be engaged before you even push the mower.  I am hesitant to put the transaxle in the operating position while trying to loosen the nut as I am sure it will result in the drive shaft into the transaxle turning in a counter clockwise direction.  The belt is very loose even with the brake not engaged and offers no resistance.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to lock the drive shaft of the transaxle for the nut removal.  It is going to require a LOT of torque as the bolt is VERY tight.  Thank you!

#2 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,870 Thanks
  • 1,171 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 02:39 PM

I would just use an impact wrench to remove the nut , it should rap it right off.

#3 Chucktin OFFLINE  

Chucktin
  • Member No: 81957
  • 38 Thanks
  • 48 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 02:55 PM

Douse the nut with a "liquid wrench" lube. Leave overnight. Clean threads on staff end with wire brush and / or chase with small file. Next grab fan blade with locking wrench "Vise Grip" or similar. Make certain you have correct size socket and it fits well. When you use your impact wrench, I have electric Kobolt, _tap_ the switch. Once, maybe twice, should do. If not examin the circumstances before you go any further. Yes you do not want to torque that shaft.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transaxle, tuff tore