• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#46 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 08:54 AM

well not so fast.... The blower turns fine by tractor power now and all but I gotta do something either different about my quickie balast weight idea or the lift setup on this machine.... when I switch to the front lift it wont move til the rear lift is all the way up 1st.... so my concrete filled metal 5 gallon bucket dumps and drags the ground so that I can't back up with it on.... we just got ~4" of light powder (so far) and I was anxious to try it.... with what the snow is this time I might have been ok with no extra weight....  but I got enough back in my face in that 25 feet that I went back for the other tractor that has the blade on it.... that one, now that it has chains that actually stay on its turfs, did the job...... off of work today (unless we have problems with the plow trucks then I get overtime) so I'll play around with it.....

anyone got a pic of the rigging on the chute rotation cable for one of these, and a length that I will need???

• KennyP said thank you

#47 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 12:36 PM

ok... came up with a plan B for weight behind the axle....  I made some different lower arms and tool bar for my sleeve hitch, the tool bar is a piece of solid 1-1/2" thick, X2" bar.... 14" long/  I made this for moving the trailer ball out farther away from the machine to move my popup camper around (when I originally got this tractor I got it to be my mule-- pulling things around, and maybe play with the snow plow a bit...)   This tool bar has a 3/4" hole in it for the hitch ball shank and a 5/8" hole for use as a regular sleeve hitch.... and pivots on a pair of 1/2" bolts holding it to the draft arms..which themselves are solid 1/2X3" flat bar stock. 

I went to the local muffler shop and got a pile of junk brake rotors, matched them up to stack the best I could for what they gave me, and got 11 of them slid onto the tool bar.... so they can't dump... the other bucket of concrete idea would have worked better if I had a 3 point instead of a sleeve hitch.... one of those Kubota $60 3 point kits is on my list as soon as the dust settles a bit from me "spending too much lately" on these 2 Ariens machines.....

• KennyP said thank you

#48 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 07:42 PM

Blower works good, once the plan B weights we're in place. Worked great with the ags on back and snow hogs on front.... Wow that blower can throw the snow I went out and did a couple of my neighbor's driveways and it was blowing powder snow over the garage roof and onto the roof of the guy next to them... I wonder how it will do with the heavier wet crap.... Had somewhere between 4-5" of snow to get rid of. I then went back and read did the neighbors drive that I did with the blade this morning since I don't have 2 vehicles in the way like the 1st time....
  • KennyP said thank you

#49 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,833 Thanks
  • 5,414 posts

Posted January 15, 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hmm, it appears that more than 2 driveways are needed to enjoy a blower! Have fun!
  • KennyP and dodge trucker have said thanks

#50 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted January 27, 2018 - 05:34 PM

well, since I got this thing done and got to play with it once, now it warmed up and we don't have ANY snow on the ground.....  still gotta add up what all I spent on this silly blower...though I'm afraid to// 

I also replaced the non adjustable. surging carb on my Deere 828D walk behind, with a brand new OEM Tecumseh adjustable carb, and haven't been able to try that one out, since, either.

• KennyP said thank you

#51 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted February 09, 2018 - 11:47 PM

ok used this blower now for 3 snow storms and I gotta say with a GT, blower vs blade.... blower wins hands down.... I have alternated between them so far... just went out and did my one neighbor's drive with the blade since I didn't think there was enough there to blow.... came home and said "screw it" and got the tractor with the blower out. more there than I thought there was.... I HAVE GOT TO, get that gravel drive paved this year.... GOT TO... tired of throwing rocks and scraping rocks..... my side yard will probably look like I doubled the width of the gravel once the snow goes away.... if this would freeze up a bit and give me a decent base then I could cruise over it without catching rocks..... I know one thing.... glad I have 2 machines as I sure wouldn't want to unhook and reconnect the other attachment every time I wanted to use the other one instead.... easier to jump on the other tractor and go.  

the blade seems OK for a few inches, but any more than that and the blower is faster, no back tracking to catch the trailings like with a plow.... 

one thing I notice with the blower is that it seems  to pick up unevenly with the hydro lift, though it does lift the blower quite easily... I wonder if hooking up those spring equalizers would help it raise more evenly?  I don't have the frame extensions that mount to the tractor for the tops of them to attach to.... 

also when I raise it, from sitting in the seat it almost feels like the frame is twisting or something.... as heavily built as this tractor is, that is strange. 

#52 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 06:12 PM

one thing I notice with the blower is that it seems  to pick up unevenly with the hydro lift, though it does lift the blower quite easily... I wonder if hooking up those spring equalizers would help it raise more evenly?  I don't have the frame extensions that mount to the tractor for the tops of them to attach to.... 

also when I raise it, from sitting in the seat it almost feels like the frame is twisting or something.... as heavily built as this tractor is, that is strange. 

OK,, on the odd chance that I still have anyone reading this on running post,  anyone have any input on this? It feels like something is flexing upwards under the right foot board, as I raise the blower. and that is the side that seems to be raising higher too.  

it seems the ags w/o chains/ but with 4 cast iron Cub cadet wheel weights (2 per side) plus 11 used, scrap brake rotors stacked tightly into each other on the 3 point toolbar, seem to dig in and "go" better than the  loaded turfs with chains do that I have on the plow tractor (but I don't have any weight out behind me on that machine,  as I don't have another 3 point or sleeve hitch to go onto it... will probably have to make something)  

Anyone out there have an extra set of equalizer spring attachment brackets (the ones that bolt to the frame)  I'd be interested in getting a set. I have those sprag fingers and such, just need the arms. 

#53 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,833 Thanks
  • 5,414 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 06:21 PM

Still following DT. Is that the side that the bar going to the front rock shaft is on? Have to check that cause I am not sure.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#54 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 40,880 Thanks
  • 47,091 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 06:33 PM

I'm lurking, but can't give good feedback on what to do! Have you looked over the frame real good to make sure you don't have a crack somewhere?

• dodge trucker said thank you

#55 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 08:37 PM

Have to check that shorty. I thought that it was on the other side under the starter.

#56 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,812 Thanks
  • 3,442 posts

Posted February 11, 2018 - 08:38 PM

Yeah Kenny I have but it doesn't mean that I didn't miss something
  • KennyP said thank you