• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 08:30 AM

Well I finally got me one for my tractors, they are quite few and far between. I wound up with a project, for sure. Not ideal, especially with December here already. It is a 2 stage version, but not the one with the auger clutch. I never knew those existed until Billy M mentioned that in one of his posts.

One good thing is the paint is already stripped, as in burnt off.
Bad part being that means so is the tag with the model and serial numbers. 1st question is that I need to figure out a model number so I can order parts as needed. I am sure that there will be more.
  • KennyP said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,134 Thanks
  • 8,862 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 09:01 AM

Try posting some clear pics on here for help. I'm working on an Ariens snowthrower for a friend. There are several sites that sell parts and have nice parts diagrams. Good Luck, Rick
  • KennyP said thank you

#3 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,969 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 09:45 AM

Send me a pm tonight if you don't get a number. I can pull some numbers out of a parts manual.
  • dodge trucker said thank you

#4 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,322 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 03:34 PM

If its the orange non clutch one here's the model # 831009  if you can't find a parts manual I have a diagram with the parts numbers let me know and I'll see what I can do later on tonight

One big thing to do is remove that plate that partially blocks off the discharge chute. Looking down from the top into the blower you'll see how that plate blocks off some of the snow flow. Removed mine years ago and what a big difference in the snow that you can move and throw.Not sure why they would have put that plate in there to restrict the snow being pushed out off that chute.

Edited by massey driver, December 01, 2017 - 03:44 PM.

• dodge trucker and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 06:12 PM

this thing is coming apart to the last bolt, snap ring. etc.... got no choice if I want this thing back to being functional this season.

I plan to see what the place my son worked at will want to blast and re powdercoat it once it is in pieces.  the main thing that bothers me about getting parts for  (or figuring out an alternate way to do) is the chute rotation  cable. 

I have a big compressor and a pressure pot sandblaster but not a lot of time to do it myself right now. and it's a bit chilly out to paint.  so worst case, is that it won't be usable for this year, might have to wait til next year... at least I got one now.

Hey Massey, you were the one that mentioned bearings instead of bushings for the 1st stage auger shaft ends.... got some part numbers?   as long as I gotta tear it down to the bare basics I want to do any updates (within reason) while I am in there.

any other bearings/bushings that will cause me headaches either on teardown or are known to have a short lifespan? 

where do I get shear pins? Will the common ones they sell at the box store work for this blower?

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 09:15 AM

Billy, you posted an auger clutch  version in your for sale ad for comparison. Another couple of differences I now see between that one and this one I have sitting here, is that one has a taller chute and there is a cable that I assume is to control the angle of the top portion of the chute that this one doesn't have.

I wonder how much interchange there is  and from which models, on various parts both among the various models of Ariens tractor mount blowers and also between the tractor mounts and the walk behinds?

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,322 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 09:25 AM

I've been making my own shear pins just from the hardware store. I actually made a jig out of a piece of 1/4" pipe I cut  slots into the pipe not sure of exact measurements. But from one end it's about 3/16" of a inch then the other slot is 1" away from the first one. The slots aren\t cut very deep maybe so that all I score the bolt with is about a 1/16" deep score/ I welded the pipe to a piece of angle iron and mount this jig into my vice.I then put the new bolt into this pipe with the head of the bolt being by the one slot that is 3/16" away from the end. I then put my drill on the other end of the bolt and spin the bolt with it and just place the hack saw into the slot cutting a groove into the bolt creating my own shear pins. I'll take some pics of that bearing and carrier this morning and post it up for you to see what I did.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,322 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 09:29 PM

Here's a couple pics of the bearing and its carrier plates.The bearing is for a 1" shaft with a locking collar. What I had to do was I had to make the hole in the side of the blower a bit bigger to accomidate the brg plate/holder. I used a pipe or socket that fit into the hole  where the bushing holder used to be,I made sure it was snug as possible. I then used another piece of pipe over the top of the one that that was mounted into that hole.and the right size of the new bearing holder's plate. I then marked the circle that needed to be cut out to allow the new bearing plate/holder. I used a die grinder and enlarged the hole into the blowers side. Once I was able to put the plate into the new hole I drilled the new holes into the blowers side to hold everything together.By using the steps that I did I was able to keep the shaft centered and in proper alignment. Hope my explanation makes sense.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0936.JPG
  • IMG_0937.JPG

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 10:12 PM

those bearings look much the same as the front PTO shaft ones on the Ariens tractors, which is the same for teh cross shaft that comes thru the frame for the steering...   what number was on the bearings you used?  
​I think I have seen something similar somewhere that works with a 3 bolt flange like original but can't remember where, nor whether the ones I am thinking of are ball or roller bearings.  

#10 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,322 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 10:05 AM

those bearings look much the same as the front PTO shaft ones on the Ariens tractors, which is the same for teh cross shaft that comes thru the frame for the steering...   what number was on the bearings you used?  
​I think I have seen something similar somewhere that works with a 3 bolt flange like original but can't remember where, nor whether the ones I am thinking of are ball or roller bearings.  

Not sure of the number's I just went to a parts supply place and asked for a bearing that would fit and lock onto a 1" shaft along with the carrier plates. That's what they gave me and made fit/ work.

#11 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 07:43 PM

OK/ have it almost all the way apart. all bearings in pulleys appear OK but will put new ones in while it is all apart.  

1st stage auger support bearings in ends of housing even still look OK.

The spring in the chute crank was collapsed from the heat// other than that spring, a washer and a cotter pin that was all that came out of there... seems like there is something missing/melted out from there? most came apart pretty easy didn't have to hammer on much, working on last pulley right now, the one on the back of the auger housing closest to the housing.... have that, and the scraper edge and it's apart.

because of timing with when I got this thing and what season we are in, I am sending the parts off to be blasted  and powdercoated in the interest of being able to get it all back together again sooner than later.

this thing doesn't seem to be in too bad of shape for having burnt to a crisp.  There are no shear pins in the one side 1st stage auger and it spins freely on the shaft... I like that. 

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 07:45 PM

still don't know if I have an 831009, an 813010 up to serial number 6000,  or a 831010 after serial # 6001. know it isn't a 831025 since it don't have the  auger clutch.

Cant believe how many different model numbers they used on their 48" blower over the years.

#13 shorty OFFLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,969 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 09:01 PM

Did you check for differences between the models?

#14 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 03, 2017 - 10:14 PM

yeah I did, for one thing that silly cable that spins the chute is different on the 010  between up to/after... this pulley that I am fighting is the same for all of them. 

• shorty said thank you

#15 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,114 Thanks
  • 2,823 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 11:13 PM

If its the orange non clutch one here's the model # 831009  if you can't find a parts manual I have a diagram with the parts numbers let me know and I'll see what I can do later on tonight

One big thing to do is remove that plate that partially blocks off the discharge chute. Looking down from the top into the blower you'll see how that plate blocks off some of the snow flow. Removed mine years ago and what a big difference in the snow that you can move and throw.Not sure why they would have put that plate in there to restrict the snow being pushed out off that chute.

I looked into that and might have to  in order to get all the rust  and soot out, but the way it is made, the framework below that baffle covers 1/2 of the discharge chute hole,  the top plate you mention is kind of L shaped, with the vertical leg tying into that main framework,,,, looks like that baffle is a stiffener for the  ring that holds the chute itself.

One thing I do see for sure is that I will have to do the rubber flap extension mod that so many people talk about doing to their 2 stage blowers of all brands,

Another thing I know (and ain't happy about at all) is that the 10" pulley that someone else asked about is STUCK on there, I had the hub cherry red  and it would not budge,  and besides that I wound up bending it so the grinding wheel/ cut off wheel will have to come out.... that was something I was NOT wanting to have to buy.