2 replies to this topic

#1 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • Member No: 86803
  • 28 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 05:45 PM

Hi All

I am just completing the carb rebuild on my G10 but but i can't quite get the spacer off the head.   Whats the easiest way of removing that?  I want to reseat the gaskets and maybe put a bit of "form a gasket" on it.  I noted that the mating surfaces look a bit pitted so i want to take off and have a proper look at it first.

Don't want air leaks around there.

The removal of the old main emulsifier nozzle turned into a bit of a saga.   When i managed to track down a service nozzle ( with the undercut threads - Carb rescue to the rescue!) i decided i could take my old one out.  It had different ideas and seized solid in the carb body when part way out.   Further force then took the slot away and it was well and truly stuck.

I tried a crappy easy out which snapped (as they always seem to!) leaving hardened steel in brass in ally casting.  In for a penny at this point so drilled out further in the drill press and then tried a better kind of easy out, hex shanked, with a mini bit on one end and generally a LOT chunkier!   This in the cordless drill did the trick and it popped out nicely leaving nice clean threads in the carb body.

Some spray solvents and compressed air blasts, the new nozzle, float adjustment (to 3.5mm) and when i have managed to get the spacer off for a clean up and refit, we should be good to give it a try!

Cheers

John

Nottingham UK.

Edited by Dubmatix, December 01, 2017 - 03:56 AM.

• HANKG said thank you

#2 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 10:45 PM

The aluminum spacer sticks up under the Blower housing about 1/2" and up tight against the head. Most of the ones I've taken off I had to either remove the Breather assembly or the head. The spacer sits farther back against the block and the flange on the breather assembly overlaps the spacer a bit. Makes it almost impossible to get it out without taking the breather assembly off or take the head off and slide it up and out.  

Be careful taking the breather off and you MIGHT be able to save the breather assembly gasket.

Edited by EricFromPa, November 30, 2017 - 10:47 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Cat385B and Dubmatix have said thanks

#3 Dubmatix OFFLINE  

Dubmatix
  • Member No: 86803
  • 28 Thanks
  • 23 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 04:03 AM

The aluminum spacer sticks up under the Blower housing about 1/2" and up tight against the head. Most of the ones I've taken off I had to either remove the Breather assembly or the head. The spacer sits farther back against the block and the flange on the breather assembly overlaps the spacer a bit. Makes it almost impossible to get it out without taking the breather assembly off or take the head off and slide it up and out.  

Be careful taking the breather off and you MIGHT be able to save the breather assembly gasket. 

Thanks for that Eric i'll take a look later, i suspected it might not be particularly straightforward as it does indeed stick under the sheet metal just a bit too much!  It's getting a bit chilly here to be spending hours out there though...she's currently parked in the greenhouse which also needs some tlc so is a bit draughty!

i wouldn't be removing it if it wasn't for the pitting and the fact that it was loose on the flanfe after the carb was removed than sitting nicely 'seated'; onto the inlet flange.  I'll look at the breather assembly first and see if iam tempted to try to get it off without damaging the gasket.    Are the gaskets available still?  Or is it "make your own" time?

Edited by Dubmatix, December 02, 2017 - 03:47 AM.