• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • Member No: 86662
  • 74 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 08:23 AM

Hey all, anyone know where to find parts for MTD Wizard garden tractors anymore? I haven't had much luck with the internet or eBay . This tractor belonged to my dad, he bought it brand new in 1971 from Western Auto, he passed away in 2008 so I have proudly taken over ownership of "The WIZ" as we have always called the old girl. This is the first tractor I ever drove so it has sentimental value to me. I need some drive train parts (clutch area) and some body parts, she still runs,just needs work on the starter generator. The S/N is MTD5520 A17, Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks All.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20171130_073240.jpg
  • IMG_20171130_073421.jpg
  • IMG_20171130_073541.jpg

Edited by Vrdaddy, November 30, 2017 - 09:30 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8923
  • 12,871 Thanks
  • 9,180 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 08:42 AM

That looks to be an MTD 960. I have an 860. Check with our sponsors. When I've needed MTD parts, Joe's Outdoor (one of our sponsors on the Forums Page) was able to help me.  He may not have what you want instock but wait and check in frequently since his stock is always changing. The manuals for that are in our Manuals Section. Download them and perform all maintenance. Most times problems are just a need for maintenance. There was an update to my clutch years ago. The updateparts may still be around.

Part of the challenge of this hobby is finding or making the parts that you need. If your clutch disk is worn out you may be able to have it relined at a Brake/Clutch rebuilder. Almost every city had them 40 years ago, but now they are harder to find. Post clearer pics when you have more questions. BTW, since Your Dad bought that new, it is in a very special class of "Heritage Tractors" since it has stayed in the family. Good Luck, Rick  

Owners Manual   http://gardentractor...41-860-141-960/

Edited by boyscout862, November 30, 2017 - 09:03 AM.

• KennyP and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#3 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • 74 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 09:53 AM

Thanks Rick, actually the manual that you posted here, I actually do have the original Wizard manual for that tractor & it looks exactly like the one that you have here, actually on page 13 it shows the clutch assembly on it, the one part in question would be what they call the bearing cover which is inside the yolk. Whenever the tractor is running the bearing cover comes out of the yolk and is sitting there spinning around the bearing, whether this is a problem or not I don't know but would like to have it replaced sometime.The clutch believe it or not is in real good shape (thank goodness) Don't know if they still make this bearing cover part anymore? I appreciate all the information that you gave me.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#4 VTXrider ONLINE  

VTXrider
  • Member No: 16031
  • 517 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 02:04 PM

If the cover is coming off, you can glue in on with something like green Loctite (bearing retainer). 

• boyscout862 and Vrdaddy have said thanks

#5 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 551 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 09:16 PM

Take a look at post 18 in this thread

http://gardentractor...-2?hl= throwout

I looked all over for that bearing cover and finally came up with this fix for it. 

Great old tractor you have there.

• Vrdaddy said thank you

#6 Vrdaddy OFFLINE  

Vrdaddy
  • 74 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 09:44 AM

There's a lot of good information you have there. The frost plug idea is a pretty good idea,has it been holding up ok?

#7 MolonLabe OFFLINE  

MolonLabe

Rust Wrangler

• Member No: 59683
  • 551 Thanks
  • 320 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 11:09 AM

It was still working just fine when I sold it. The key to longevity I think is to make sure that the throw-out arm doesn't touch with the clutch out. Mine had a bad release spring when I got it, it had let the bearing ride the throw-out arm and wore them both out.

• Vrdaddy said thank you