9 replies to this topic

#1 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 86696
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 02:11 PM

Hi there anyone ever work on the rear end wheel bearings. I have one side apart I order the rear bearing set from baystate bearing in ct for 65.00 per side. I now need to remove the cup pressed into the axle housing any ideas to remove cup would be helpful. I was thinking about cutting it with a dremel and small cutting wheel. If you notice in the picture there is not a lot of material behind cup to grab with I would say about 1/64 of an inch 

Attached Thumbnails

• AXLE 001.JPG
  • AXLE 002.JPG

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,984 Thanks
  • 5,036 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 02:46 PM

I know I had mine apart already. But I forget how i did it.

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 620 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 03:59 PM

Will the fingers of a slide hammer fit behind it?

51u1p8xoZ7L._SX355_.jpg

#4 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 3,384 Thanks
  • 3,015 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 04:39 PM

You should be able to split the race with a good sharp chisel and pull it out in pieces. Usually doesn't take much to split them but be careful you don't  mar up the tube. 

You can also use a little heat on the the tube and it will fall out. Something thinner like that steel axle tube you can put a little heat to just the outside of the tube. The race is higher carbon steel than the tube so the tube will expand alot more than the race and allow it to fall out.

Heat doesn't work very well on heavy cast iron but for steel it works good if you don't have a puller.    

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 07:12 PM

You should be able to split the race with a good sharp chisel and pull it out in pieces. Usually doesn't take much to split them but be careful you don't  mar up the tube. 

You can also use a little heat on the the tube and it will fall out. Something thinner like that steel axle tube you can put a little heat to just the outside of the tube. The race is higher carbon steel than the tube so the tube will expand alot more than the race and allow it to fall out.

Heat doesn't work very well on heavy cast iron but for steel it works good if you don't have a puller.    

I know the center section is aluminum, not sure about the ends. (I just unloaded my spare rear from my trailer yesterday)  I would not go hog wild if the surface that it seats into is aluminum. I'd take the Dremel and split the race as deep as you feel comfortable. maybe in 2 places approx. across from each other, THEN try the chisel trick in one of the cuts you made.  BE CAREFUL not to go too deep. 

If it is steel/cast iron where the bearings seat I have another trick, that has worked for me. I learned this when I worked industrial maintenance at a steel mill.

Got a welder? Ground it to that flange right next to the bearing and weld beads directly on the race. Run several right next to each other like you are "practicing" welding.... anyone who has ever taken welding classes will know how I mean. At least 2 beads of weld all the way around the inner surface of the race. It will expand toward center and come out easily while hot..... just remember though they WILL be HOT so be careful how you handle them.

again.... DON'T do this, if housing where bearing races seat is Aluminum!

• KennyP said thank you

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 11:13 PM

did you ever get anywhere with this?

#7 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 02:22 AM

No not yet I am waiting for the parts to arrive before I disassemble. just be sure there the proper parts

#8 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 06, 2017 - 08:25 AM

Where did you order them from? I'd have pulled them, got the numbers off of the old ones and got them from the local bearing house

#9 71mustangman OFFLINE  

71mustangman
  • Contributor
  • 46 Thanks
  • 80 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 01:19 AM

I purchased my bearings from a local distributor bay state bearing in ct I go there all the time when I need a bearing

• dodge trucker said thank you

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,129 Thanks
  • 2,843 posts

Posted December 08, 2017 - 07:10 AM

yeah I'd hate to have seen how much more Ariens would have wanted for them.... I have a Motion Industries near me but it is opposite way that I have to go for work, and their hours are same as my work hours. So it's either send my son in to try and get what I need, take time off of work so I can go for myself or find them somewhere online and order them to be shipped to my door....