• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 12:25 PM

I am getting another tractor, has a K341 on it, for parts (mainly for the attachments)
Thing is that the tractor was in a garage fire. Fiberglass hood is shot, as are the tires. I don't care about the tractor other than maybe a few parts if they somehow survived. Guy said that it was a good running machine before the fire. Now supposedly the engine is stuck. I'm hoping for maybe a seized PTO clutch or melted stator, something along those lines.
Any reason I couldn't replace all the gaskets and seals, maybe replace the starter and stator and expect it to still be a good engine? Tractor was not the cause of the fire, just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Also same question pertains to the hydro and rear end.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 29, 2017 - 12:25 PM.

• KennyP and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#2 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 01:15 PM

On the engine one of the things that I am wondering about would be not knowing if it has a steel or a plastic governor gear and if plastic would the fact that the block is cast iron would that gear be a melted blob?
I know that some answers will come when I am able to see it for myself, pics I got don't show much of the engine.
Being a 16hp k341, if it can be salvaged it ain't going nowhere.
  • Alc, KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#3 lrhredjb OFFLINE  

lrhredjb

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3984
  • 922 Thanks
  • 689 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 01:15 PM

Difficult to speculate, could be burned plastic or belt jamming something. Can u inspect it? It could have got hot enough to melt aluminum parts.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#4 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 01:20 PM

Well the fender pan (metal I think) don't hardly appear tarnished but the tires fiberglass hood steering wheel and seat are all definitely shot.
I got this as a take all or none deal mainly for the deck, wheel weights and snow blower will see it in person for myself tomorrow for the 1st time. Deck wasn't on the machine, wasn't in the fire zone, snowblower is attached and barely looks faded. So far I can only go by pix that I have seen.

Edited by dodge trucker, November 29, 2017 - 01:21 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#5 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 01:22 PM

Seller claims snow blower belt is there and unscathed.
  • KennyP said thank you

#6 secondtry ONLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 2,233 Thanks
  • 1,578 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 01:47 PM

Dosn't sound like it got very hot so definitely worth playing with. Have to Take it apart to part out any way. Don

• KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 03:13 PM

Yeah I probably have enough parts to fix it besides front tires a seat and the steering wheel besides wiring, and normal maintenance items, but I already have 3 of these tractors and am constantly getting asked why I need that many, getting told "no more" besides the other projects that I have... plus the projects that keep getting put off like a remodel of our bathroom..... So this one will donate as many parts that survived as it possibly can and the rest will go away.
  • KennyP and boyscout862 have said thanks

#8 pick-to-stone OFFLINE  

pick-to-stone

Living in the past

• Member No: 76550
  • 369 Thanks
  • 507 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hi if you could get pics I have pulled engines out of Burt vehicle before rebuilt them and they ran

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 41,449 Thanks
  • 47,382 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 04:32 PM

Bet some of the melted plastic made it's way into the engine, causing the lockup! Or the flywheel magnets came loose!

• Alc, dodge trucker and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#10 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 4,297 Thanks
  • 3,413 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 05:34 PM

I have a K301 in the shed that came out of a burnt tractor. Biggest problem is the aluminum parts are all distorted and warped and partly melted. 

I'm keeping the block but it got hot enough to warp the heck out of the bearing plate under the flywheel and it burnt the oil out of the pan.

If it didn't get hot enough to catch the oil on fire inside the block you can easily save it. I would definitely pull it Completely apart though. I rebuilt a K321 that came out of a burnt Jacobson golf coarse greens mower years ago. It didn't look bad and still had oil in it but the thin ACR spring on the Cam lost it's springiness (if that's a word lol) and I had to tear it completely down to the bare block and carefully go over everything. 

Edited by EricFromPa, November 29, 2017 - 05:36 PM.

• Alc, boyscout862, dodge trucker and 1 other said thanks

#11 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 07:04 PM

wouldn't have thought about that, Eric, was more thinking of the (possibly) plastic governor gear being a melted glob...

I have a Mag 14 here that supposedly ran but is tired, needs a rebuild... I know people have taking the bearing plate, flywheel and tinwork from a Mag and put it onto a K engine before,  if what you say is what happened here, might be a good engine to swap that stuff over to...  though I don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul.... might have to look again for a blown up single cyl magnum  as a parts donor....

#12 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Anything Red . . .

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 14,298 Thanks
  • 10,283 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 07:12 PM

Like the VW bug, one day the Kohler Ks are everywhere and then they aren't. I would try to save it. Or at least don't throw it away.

• boyscout862 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#13 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 08:20 PM

Like the VW bug, one day the Kohler Ks are everywhere and then they aren't. I would try to save it. Or at least don't throw it away.

believe me, that engine is NOT going anywhere.   K341s seem tough to find. I have plenty of K301s, a K321, a M14 and 2, M12s here.... but I cant find any 341s for a decent price anywhere.... I tried finding a Cub spec one earlier this year.   best I could do then, was $150 for a BARE BLOCK..... it is still on CL.

Lilys Dad, I will be coming past, not too far from you, to go get this burnt out machine tomorrow, I-80 to I-39 then north....

anyone have any thoughts about the same concerns regarding a Sunstrand 15 or a Dana 20 rearend surviving a fire?   hoping to keep them too, for sure at least the hydro.

#14 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 5,915 Thanks
  • 5,450 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 08:53 PM

Same thoughts on the hydro. If the paint on the fender isn't scorched, it might not have serious heat.

#15 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 2,899 Thanks
  • 3,523 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 04:08 PM

This thing is COOKED!!!
Given the pictures that were posted it looked like it didn't get that hot as it looked orange but the orange was flash rust. If Ariens machines were anything else but orange I would have known better
That I was looking at rust not left over paint. Should clean up pretty decent though. There's no using the snowblower and painting it later it will have to be redone now.