• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,462 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted November 30, 2017 - 12:49 PM

The old 8Ns are fun. I rebuilt the engine on mine, Pistons, rings, sleeves, bearings, valves, guides, springs, keepers, gasket set, $156 delivered to the door. Aftermarket Chinese of course. I see the price has more than doubled since I did mine. Most people seem to think if it won't start you need to convert it to 12v. Mine starts just fine with 6v at below 0 temp, never failed since rebuild. Don

#17 kylearzonca OFFLINE  

kylearzonca
  • Member No: 89000
  • 9 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 01, 2017 - 10:31 AM

The old 8Ns are fun. I rebuilt the engine on mine, Pistons, rings, sleeves, bearings, valves, guides, springs, keepers, gasket set, $156 delivered to the door. Aftermarket Chinese of course. I see the price has more than doubled since I did mine. Most people seem to think if it won't start you need to convert it to 12v. Mine starts just fine with 6v at below 0 temp, never failed since rebuild. Don

Yeah, the one i got my hands on was $400 and a deer stand haha.

It hasn't run in a few years, the wiring harness was all chewed up and on top of that it was wired all wrong. I bought a tune up kit, points, condenser, oil filter, new sediment bowl, spark plugs and wires for $70. It was already converted to a 12v when i got it. I regasketed the carb since it was leaking like a champ. Just need to put a new battery in it. After that she should be good to go.... Hopefully lol. I havent gotten around to checking the compression on her yet though. figured i would wait to do that. inspected the pistons though, theyre not to bad.

#18 Dukedkt442 OFFLINE  

Dukedkt442
  • Member No: 88476
  • 49 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted December 05, 2017 - 09:31 PM

Welcome!  I'm new to the site myself, and just beginning a complete tear-down of a G9.  Similar tractors as seen through a wide-angle lens, though unlike you, I've got to switch between hi and lo range by manually switching the drive belt, you just get to pull a move a lever. Probably something you already know, but I wouldn't attempt to start it without pulling the intake, the Marvel treatment, and a turn-over by hand.  Drain the transmission of the water that it is probably full of; heck, pull the transmission cover and inspect the inside of the transmission.  Check that the brake operates on the drive-shaft drum when the clutch is fully depresses before attempting to shift or the gears will grind.  Other than a completely rotted fender pan, my biggest items in need of repair are worn rods and the holes through which they pass, so fixing those with the welder, and cleaning up every last part for painting are my most time consuming parts.  Have fun and keep us posted!  The Ford looks like a great project itself, if I had the space to warrant a tractor of that size I'd love to acquire one!

Last but not least, thanks for your service!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, husky, project, identify, help