Garden Tractor Forums banner

New Member Signing in

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  scootrd 
#1 ·
Just a quick Hello to all in the Bolens community,

I am in the middle of a 1960 Bolens RAM restoration , Got her running after tracking down an original Magneto, points, and condenser Assembly. K161 also received a new head (someone had cross threaded plug at one time or another). With help from Hank Watkins she now has a new reverse disk , I will need a few new belts, as well. Had to set her aside for a bit, but will begin finishing her up in about a month or so. She has original paint , Fender Toolbox option, and came with original mower and tires.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the group. Nice Ride-A-Matic you have there. I would love to hear more on the reverse disc. Dad has a Ride-A-Matic and his reverse disc could be replaced as well.

#11 ·
NUTNDUN said:
Welcome to the group. Nice Ride-A-Matic you have there. I would love to hear more on the reverse disc. Dad has a Ride-A-Matic and his reverse disc could be replaced as well.
Hank "the old Bolens man" from Coloma Wis. Found a conpany out of CT. that can fab the reverse disc replacement out of Break lineing material. The blank prototype which he owns was the very costly and expensive part (as we all know) he does have the ability to order more and if your in need he has given me permission to pass his number along. To order directly through the company you would probably incur a more costly charge
Send me a private message and I will reply with his number.

Here is Pic of Hanks finished product I purchased from him at reasonable cost .

Rim Auto part Font Circle Fixture

Attachments

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
MH81 said:
:welcome: to GTTalk. Nice survivor you have there. This disc, is it like a clutch disc, or something else?
The reverse disc is mounted on and operated through the Versamatic variable Sheeve assembly, when the Versamatic control lever is placed in reverse mode the variable Sheeve assembly reverses the operation of the drive sheeve through the use of the reverse disc, belt and drive chain yes it has a clutch like operation you could say.

It was quite an interesting engineering feat of coordinated pulleys, Disc , belts, and Drive Chain for it's time.
Here's a pic of the operation close up off my parts Bolens. The Pulley system at the top houses the reverse disc.
The problem is , the disc is a wearable part , much like clutch linings or break pads and they don't make the reverse disc anymore
so if yours wears down , you have no longer have reverse.

Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wheel Gas

Attachments

#16 ·
Welcome friend.... nice Ride-A-Matic. I have owned 2 1961 models. They are so neat. I always thought John Deere in 1963 was the first gt to have a variator .... until I got the Bolens! I sold both of mine to collectors .... in fact the last one went to Missouri last week.

Your post here gave me an idea. I am currently setting up a small machine shop and have both manual and cnc machines. I am hoping to have some business making reproductions of obsolete parts. I am now wondering if I could machine brake lining material..... If I could then I could make parts like the reversers you need or mabe pads like on CC disc brakes and early Deere hydros!!!!

Great to have you .... I love to see those old round nose Green Bolens !

Thanks for sharing.

#17 ·
MF14 plowday special said:
Your post here gave me an idea. I am currently setting up a small machine shop and have both manual and cnc machines. I am hoping to have some business making reproductions of obsolete parts. I am now wondering if I could machine brake lining material..... If I could then I could make parts like the reversers you need or mabe pads like on CC disc brakes and early Deere hydros!!!!.
I think that's an excellent idea. . The larger fab shops have to charge an arm and a leg to cover their overhead. a Smaller shop could probably do pretty well supporting the vintage and antique niche MKT Fabbing obsolete parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.