19 replies to this topic

#1 oldcpecdr OFFLINE  

oldcpecdr

• Member No: 4458
  • 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:08 PM

Hi All

New Member but looking forward to sharing this forum with you all. Been looking for a GT with a snowblower attachment and finally found what I hope is a good deal. Bolens 1600H with a 38 inch Snowblower, or in Bolens Speak a "Snowcaster".

Getting ready to start cleaning and painting and fixing a few mechanical issues, runs great for 5 minutes then quits, I think I see a coil or Magnetron in my future, but overall in nice shape. My main question is has anyone used a single stage snowblower like this and will it perform ok ..we usually get no more than a foot at a time but is almost always heavy and wet.... should I keep looking for a two stage blower ?

So thanks in advance for your input. I live on Cape Cod if anyone needs a hand, have an enclosed trailer and a decent shop...

Mike B

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens8.jpg
  • Bolens6.jpg
  • Bolens5.jpg
  • Bolens4.jpg
  • Bolens3.jpg
  • Bolens2.jpg
  • Bolens1.jpg

#2 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hi Mike, welcome to the group. Looks like you are having some fun working on your Bolens. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

The single stage snow blowers work great if you keep the chute nice and smooth and you keep the blower fed. I know it isn't a Bolens but my Massey MF12 has a single stage blower and here is a pic of it blowing snow. You will be impressed with how well they work.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_1319.jpg
  • DSC_1332.jpg

• oldcpecdr said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:33 PM

:ditto:

Welcome to the Forum!

The single stage Blowers work great. Sometimes in heavy wet snow , you have to take it slow but The Bolens hasn't let me down yet :thumbs:

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens hyd 004.jpg

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:54 PM

I too have a Single Stage for my Sears SS12. It's almost too big for the tractor (I think it's 40") It only got tried a couple of times last year. did a nice job tho.

:welcome: to GTTalk.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:54 PM

:wave: oldcpecdr Welcome to GTTalk! Looks like a nice Bolens you've found! I have a similar vintage G11XL. Nevr used a single stage blower, but I trust the guys on here who have to tell the honest truth. I recently picked up a single stage unit with my C120 Wheel Horse. Once I get it back together, we can compare notes this next winter. We're glad to have you here and hope to see you around a lot!

#6 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Good LOOKING Bolens

#7 oldcpecdr OFFLINE  

oldcpecdr

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the fast responses, looks like the consensus is that single stage blower is ok... so now I gotta get dirty and fix the five minute engine...

Thanks again... I am sure I will have questions when I mount the "Snowcaster"... Mike B

#8 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 10:30 PM

In the Joe Haban video, someone in it talks about single and 2 stage snow blowers, and says that the single stage is better. They didn't say why, but just stated it as fact. This was form someone in the industry.

Here's a link to the vid. I'm not sure exactly where in the vid it is, but it's worth watching anyway.

#9 Jason4567 OFFLINE  

Jason4567

• Member No: 841
  • 6 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 11:39 AM

Welcome to the forum from Upton, MA! That is a nice tractor you have there.

The quitting issue does sound like the mag, but try replacing the plug first. A plug is a few bucks, but a mag can be well over $100. I like the single stage just fine for the most part. Make sure you have paint on the inside of the chute when you use it. Back when I used a single stage I used to put crisco on the inside of the chute to help keep it from clogging with sticky snow.

That is not an original blower for your tractor, which may be a problem. It appears to be a tube frame blower attached to the Eliminator style mounts. This could be an issue because the input shaft on a tube frame blower spins the opposite direction of an XL series. I have heard that this can be fixed by moving a gear in the gearbox, but I have never done it, and I don't have any specifics on it. If it still has the factory gear setup, it will spin backwards and it will be absolutely useless in snow until it is fixed.

One other thing to keep an eye on is your electric PTO clutch. Make sure it works. If you engage it and your ammeter reads a discharge, then it is drawing too much current and it may be on it's way out. There are also other tests you can do if you discover an issue with the PTO clutch.

Jason

#10 oldcpecdr OFFLINE  

oldcpecdr

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 04:57 PM

Well of course since I bought this for the blower I had to go out and fire it up and check... all rotation is correct so I don't think that will be a problem...as advertised however the engine ran great for five minutes then started backfiring and missing before stopping... still think there is a coil or magnetron in my future.

Mike B

#11 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 05:22 PM

Hi All

New Member but looking forward to sharing this forum with you all. Been looking for a GT with a snowblower attachment and finally found what I hope is a good deal. Bolens 1600H with a 38 inch Snowblower, or in Bolens Speak a "Snowcaster".

Getting ready to start cleaning and painting and fixing a few mechanical issues, runs great for 5 minutes then quits, I think I see a coil or Magnetron in my future, but overall in nice shape. My main question is has anyone used a single stage snowblower like this and will it perform ok ..we usually get no more than a foot at a time but is almost always heavy and wet.... should I keep looking for a two stage blower ?

So thanks in advance for your input. I live on Cape Cod if anyone needs a hand, have an enclosed trailer and a decent shop...

Mike B

Welcome to the forum Mike. Nice Bolens . As far as single stage blowers I have always used dual stage. We get a lot of heavy wet snow here in Nova Scotia. As far as I've heard heavy snow is the only issue with a single stage but IMO it is also an issue with 2 stage blowers. I'd give it a winter to see if it is up to the job. Snow conditions can vary a lot from place to place and storm to storm. I mostly plow snow but keep a walk behind blower as a backup and I am considering a blower for one of my tractors.

#12 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,394 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 05:32 PM

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a snow blower, though I could have used one this winter. I'm happy to see some of the folks are getting you answers, so I will bow out. Have a great day.

#13 Jason4567 OFFLINE  

Jason4567

• Member No: 841
  • 6 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 07:31 PM

Well of course since I bought this for the blower I had to go out and fire it up and check... all rotation is correct so I don't think that will be a problem...as advertised however the engine ran great for five minutes then started backfiring and missing before stopping... still think there is a coil or magnetron in my future.

Mike B

Glad to hear the rotation is right. If you ever have the gear case opened up, take some pics, I'd like to see exacty what was changed.

I bet you are right on the coil. Home has repro coils available, but you might be waiting a while for one.

Jason

#14 oldcpecdr OFFLINE  

oldcpecdr

• 1 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 08:39 PM

So since I was out in the shop to check the rotation and had it running decided to do some troubleshooting...fired it up took the infrared temp gun and found it was only running on one cylinder, took out the previous owners "new" plugs and replace them with some old spares I had laying around, instant success!!!! Drove it around the neighborhood for a half hour with not a hint of stalling or a miss....ignition switch is bad wont shut off...so I need three things, ignition switch, hood hinges to save me from fabricating them, and a throttle cable... any chance there is a source for old Bolens parts or should I start Googling...
Got to say the Hydro drive (Eaton) is just fantastic after a few years of belt driven Peerless transmissions, thanks for all the help so far.. Mike B

S

#15 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 09:22 PM

Nice 1600H you have there. I picked up a 1600H with a 48" mowing deck a year ago this past April. Last summer I acquired a H18XL with a 48" mowing deck, 42" single stage snowcaster and a 33" rototiller. I used the single stage snowcaster on the 1600H and I have one on my Bolens 1220 also. They both worked excellent here in the Lakes Region of NH. If you have any questions in reference to the 1600H don't be afraid to give a shout. I am enjoying my 1600H a lot and have put it to good use.
Jonathan