Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

The engine is back in the 314 and running!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 05:20 PM

Hi folks

Reached a milestone yesterday as the engine fired right up after a bit of a refit. :bounce:
I re-torqued the head gasket after 15 minutes running and finished putting the covers on. It starts well but is not running right just yet. I need to do the carb adjustments but got sidetracked trying to get rid of a hydro creep problem. I have to paint the fender deck before it will be back in use. Here are some pictures of it as it is today. Thanks everyone who has helped me get this far. Can you guys take a look at the governor /throttle linkage and tell me if it looks right. I had some trouble getting it back together after replacing the spring and lever.
DSCF5982.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCF5979.jpg
  • DSCF5984.jpg
  • DSCF5968.jpg
  • DSCF5977.jpg
  • DSCF5981.jpg
  • DSCF5978.jpg
  • DSCF5980.jpg

• larryd said thank you

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 05:46 PM

Good deal Brian! Always a nervous time when first firing a repaired engine, but you did good! :thumbs: Now where's a video clip of her purring? :wewantvideo:
  • larryd said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 07:57 PM

Looks like you're making progress. I'll leave it to others more experienced than I to help diagnose the governor / throttle issue. Looking really good to me!
  • larryd said thank you

#4 Gary400 OFFLINE  

Gary400

JD,junkie

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2316
  • 225 Thanks
  • 768 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 09:58 PM

wont be long now and you'll have it back together . looks good so far
  • larryd said thank you

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 04:53 AM

Thanks guys. The rebuilt PTO switch and clutch seem to work fine. I took some time to fix the wiring harness. It was a mess with the seat switch and pto interlocks bypassed. All that is working properly now. Next up is to get the fender deck prepped and painted and get the engine running better.
One thing I find strange is that the JD owners manual says to set the High speed adj on the carb to 2 turns but the Kohler manual says 3 1/4 turns. Before I took it apart it seemed to run best at just over 2 turns but that was with a blown head gasket. I just got the high speed limit set so I can now do the carb settings. I will wait to do them until the air cleaner and PCV are installed. I am getting surging and the occasional stutter. The throttle bushing/shaft has a bit of slack in it. Would this cause these problems?
  • larryd said thank you

#6 MinnesotaDan OFFLINE  

MinnesotaDan

• Member No: 4384
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 06:52 PM

I have this same kohler in a 316 tractor. The governer and linkages look to be hooked up correctly to me. What were the symptoms of the blown head gasket?? Mines got a wicked oil leak that I believe to be coming from the valve cover/pcv plate. Just put a gasket in it today and haven't gotten it started yet but I am somewhat suspicious there is a larger issue
  • larryd said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:04 PM

I have this same kohler in a 316 tractor. The governer and linkages look to be hooked up correctly to me. What were the symptoms of the blown head gasket?? Mines got a wicked oil leak that I believe to be coming from the valve cover/pcv plate. Just put a gasket in it today and haven't gotten it started yet but I am somewhat suspicious there is a larger issue

Thanks for having a look at the post/pictures. I bought the tractor and the engine was not running well. There was a broken motor mount and I had to remove the engine to repair it so I decided to give it the once over. The engine had a lot of oil leaking from it- sound familiar. It was pushing oil out of the PCV breather. The blower will push oil all over the engine if it leaks out anywhere there is high air flow. When I removed the blower housing and other covers I could see lots of oil in the fins of the cylinder. There is another thread in the mechanical section called something like Kohler K321 oily mess where I have some pictures of what I found. I would take the head off and have a look anyway. A new head gasket and a handful of grade 8 bolts is less than 20$. You can de carbon the head and have a look at the condition of the top end. Have a look at the other thread and see what I found. Now that it is back together it is not putting oil out of the PCV and I replaced the breather gasket which was seeping. There does still seem to be a leak in the cover beside the points cover. I'm not sure whats behind it. I'll be ordering a gasket for that. Good luck with it.
  • larryd said thank you

#8 MinnesotaDan OFFLINE  

MinnesotaDan

• Member No: 4384
  • 2 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted July 03, 2011 - 08:35 PM

Thanks for the pointers. I will check out your thread. As far as the gaskets, I just got in from replacing the breather cover (i called it a valve cover) gasket, and there is not a puddle under my tractor, yes! Instead of buying the gasket I just used some GM engine sealer AKA RTV gasket maker and it seems to work just fine, I don't know the cost of the factory cover gaskets but you can buy GM engine sealer or the right stuff gasket maker for 10-15$ and you can probably make 100 of those various cover gaskets with 1 tube. My tractor is pushing a little bit of oil out the PCV tube, one little drop on the end that never actually seems to drip, air cleaner is free of oil. I'm sure that is a sign of blow-by but it still runs very well so I am hoping I can nurse it along if I fix the other leaks. Thanks again for the input and it's nice to see another person with a similar tractor as mine, my tractor came with the onan and had the kohler swapped in prior to me purchasing it.
  • larryd said thank you

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 04, 2011 - 08:08 AM

Glad to hear your oil leaks are fixed. You should still consider the head gasket replacement. Carbon tends to buildup at the top of the cylinder near the exhaust valve. The sooner you get it removed the better. It was eating into the top of the piston on my engine. The carbon may have been preventing the rings from making a good seal at the top of the stroke or the carbon may have had the rings stuck. After cleaning it off and replacing the gasket I don't have any oil coming out the breather, at least so far. I haven't worked it hard yet. Before it would be dripping out of the air cleaner after running for 10 minutes or so. The good thing about these 300 series tractors is they are still very serviceable.
  • larryd said thank you

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 05, 2011 - 07:56 AM

I still seemed to have a lot of vibration so last night I decided to look into it. I replaced 1 rear motor mount. The other one looked ok but it has collapsed now that the engine weight is on it and the mounting bracket is resting on the edge of the mount. So a new one is on order. It also looks like I didn't tighten the mounting bracket to the motor. There seems to be some movement in the bracket. I will have to lift the engine out to check on it. I remember thinking that it needed to be aligned properly so the mounting bolts would line up with the mounts. I must have forgotten to tighten the bolts after I aligned it. It was late and I was tired. To quote Homer Simpson "Just look sad and say Doooh!!
  • larryd said thank you