Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

New to Me 1855 Project.......Teaser Post!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • Member No: 87474
  • 43 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 01:52 PM

I recently acquired a 1855 Massey. I met a man at the Portland, Indiana fall swapmeet who had the tractor. I had to go to Dayton, Ohio to see it and make the deal.

The tractor was sitting outside and looked the part of a neglected 40 year old! The engine was complete, less spark plugs. We loaded it and hauled it home thinking all the time that the engine would need replaced. I tinkered with it, the cylinders had water in them, the coil was dead on one side but the engine did turn over. I replaced the coil, poured gas in the carburetor, cranked it and it ran!

I cleaned the carburetor and got the engine to run but it wouldn't run without near full choke. Finally changed the carburetor to a later Nikki off a 318 John Deere.........what a difference, The engine idles and runs great and has 110+ PSI compression.... I think I lucked out. For now I'll keep the Onan.

The tractor is really tight, driveline and steering have no slop. I believe it's had very little use. It has the remains of a factory cab, 3 point and rear PTO, cigar lighter, arm rests and hour meter. One thing that is really strange, the tunnel cover operating instructions are in French! Evidently, this 1855 was built to be sold in Canada.

I have the tractor torn apart right now. I'm in the process of adding power steering from a 1864 Cub Cadet. It's been a chore that has taken me way longer than it should. I've had to lengthen the steering shaft and tube and make the mounts for the column, make mounts for the cylinder and fabricate a new right side steering arm. I'll finish plumbing all the lines this week.

While I have it torn down, I am adding a 3rd spool to the hydraulic valve. I intend to have dual front and single rear hydraulics.

Hopefully this winter, I can build the mounts and install my Johnson loader on the 1855. I've followed "Tudor's" many posts giving praise to his Massey 1655 loader outfit.

I KNOW it never happened without pictures.......I'll take pictures and get them on here soon. Hope you have enjoyed the start of my 1855 adventure! Tim

IMG_2091.jpg     IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg     IMG_2092.JPG

IMG_2094.jpg     IMG_2095.jpg

Edited by KennyP, November 29, 2017 - 05:30 AM.
Adjust Gravity

• olcowhand, DMAX, limebuzz and 7 others have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 44095 Thanks
  • 32301 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 02:05 PM

Can't say enough to the value of a front end loader, and that Massey is the perfect dedicated loader tractor!  110psi compression is superb!

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 50057 Thanks
  • 52267 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'll be lurking! Love to have an 1855.

#4 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 2543 Thanks
  • 2123 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 05:30 PM

wow nice find hope you get some pictures loaded up here

Edited by jms180, November 27, 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#5 Austen ONLINE  

Austen
  • Member No: 33768
  • 3427 Thanks
  • 1393 posts

Posted November 27, 2017 - 09:00 PM

Congrats! Can't wait to see it! :)

#6 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

old member

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 481 Thanks
  • 388 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 08:20 AM

Can't say enough to the value of a front end loader, and that Massey is the perfect dedicated loader tractor!  110psi compression is superb!

I love my Bolens 1886 with the Johnson 14 loader. I just graded around my new house and back filled new sidewalks. What a back saver!

• olcowhand said thank you

#7 jpswift1 OFFLINE  

jpswift1
  • Member No: 69996
  • 888 Thanks
  • 672 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 11:39 AM

Another 1855......great to hear.  These are great tractors, you will love it.  It's so capable and it's a HUGE tractor with a bulletproof driveline.

#8 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • 43 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your replies and interest in my project. I just added a few pictures to the original thread. I'll try to share my thoughts on how I did the power steering conversion. I used the steering valve and cylinder off of a Cub Cadet 1864 "Cyclops" tractor. This style power steering was used on many Cub models in the early to late '90s and is readily available at reasonable prices.They are basically the same unit as the John Deere 318 style. These units are short and don't have a splined and threaded end for the steering wheel. 

I took an earlier Cub regular column and cut the splined end off and welded it to the short end of the power steering shaft. The early Cub shaft was hollow with a 1/2 inch bore. I center drilled the short power steering shaft to 1/2 inch and put a piece of 1/2 inch round stock in the hollow end of both shafts. I left a space between the shafts and welded the shafts together. I salvaged a longer outside tube from the old Cub steering gear, cut it to length so the whole assembly matched the original Massey height above the dash.

The steering valve is held in place by a custom bracket bolted to the top of the original cross brace (drilled two holes) behind the dash. I made the bracket to hold the valve high enough above the PTO shaft to give adequate clearance to the hydraulic lines. I also had to set it low enough to clear the guages and ignition switch. There is a top bracket with a separate piece with slotted holes to allow for adjustment of the top of the column with the dash. I wanted everything to be bolted to allow for adjustment.

The steering cylinder is from the same Cub tractor. I decided to mount the cylinder in similar fashion as the Cub. The Cub's cylinder is on the left side of the tractor. The Massey's drag link steers to the right side so I mounted the cylinder on the right and fabbed a new steering arm on the right spindle, keyed and held with set screws. Things get really close when the axle is in it's uppermost travel, but when level there is plenty of clearance for lock to lock movement.

The steering valve is a five port unit which is plumbed from the hydrostat. The details on plumbing the steering has been covered in other posts.

I hope I haven't bored you with the details of this project. It's time consuming, but I'm sure it will pay dividends later when the loader is added! Anyone with questions, feel free to contact me.Thanks, Tim

Edited by spudder, November 28, 2017 - 01:36 PM.

• olcowhand, DMAX and dropped82 have said thanks

#9 dropped82 OFFLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• Member No: 9923
  • 2823 Thanks
  • 1940 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 06:59 PM

I installed a Johnson loader on my 1655 and love it. Power steering is my next upgrade. I just finished installing an Onan P224 big block. A little tight but well worth it. I saved the pics from your PS install. They'll be helpful!!!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Edited by dropped82, November 28, 2017 - 06:59 PM.

• DMAX said thank you

#10 spudder OFFLINE  

spudder
  • 43 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 10:17 PM

Can someone rotate my pictures so they are correct?

• KennyP said thank you

#11 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 50057 Thanks
  • 52267 posts

Posted November 29, 2017 - 05:32 AM

Can someone rotate my pictures so they are correct?

Got them fixed. Odd thing was when I went to save them, they rotated correctly. Never did that before.