Garden Tractor Forums banner

Best rear end / transmission oil for Bolens 770

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  KVLZ 
#1 ·
I'm putting in 30WT part synthetic oil for the winter in the B&S 12 hp engine. I also will fill up the rear end. After this week it may not be started till May depending on weather so I am going to drive it around the yard this week to get the transmission and engine parts well coated. Should I use a synthetic or synthetic blend in the rear end too. I have had great luck using this type of oil in my sports car engine and manual transmission since it has become available to the general public as it is stored over the winter also. I stick with the regular recommended oils for my 3 motorcycles as their clutches are submersed in oil.

#4 ·
I used to fly in a 1920's Fleet biplane that used mineral oil... You knew it was mineral oil because it ended up on your face. There is an oil suppler close by so I'll go to him to make sure I get the right stuff. I'm going to drain whatever is in there so how much will I need?

#5 ·
The part synthetic oil is 10W30. I didn't feel like putting in the battery just to take it right out again, so I pull started it. Second pull and it started right up.

I did have a small gas leak right by the muffler so I shut the engine off. I could shorten the rubber gas line about a half inch and try again. But do all B&S vertical engines run their gas line right over the muffler? I think I'll look for a safer routing. The carburetor is right next to the stock muffler. Nothing I can do about that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.