• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 bigal OFFLINE  

bigal

• Member No: 4514
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Anyone know if people are still pulling with garden tractors in the southern Ontario area ?
I'm getting ready to set up a couple of case tractors for next year.One stock 12hp and one single cylinder supercharged diesel.

#2 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 05:09 PM

If anything, I'd say that Pulling is in its infancy here. Like many areas in the USA, there is no uniformity when it comes to Rules and Class structure.

There are a few clubs around such as the 4H club. 4-H Ontario | Peel 4-H that hold events and they are tied in with other clubs as well. It's a start for you. Fall Fairs often hold Pulling events such as the Steam Show in Milton and Cookstown as well as Uxbridge.

BTW, most clubs will not allow you to use a 400 Series Case. All competitors must have a rim size no larger than 12" and they don't give a damn that Case made tractors with larger rim sizes than 12". Them's the Rules. You either live by them or you don't get to pull.

As for you plans for a supercharged diesel, that would put you in the modified class. The maximum amount of HP that the Hydriv system can apply to the trans-axle is around 12 to 14. Having high HP engines won't make that much of a difference. The modified division is a very expensive form of racing so I hope your pockets are deep.

Edited by hydriv, June 30, 2011 - 05:19 PM.

#3 bigal OFFLINE  

bigal

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted June 30, 2011 - 06:10 PM

The tractors i have are a case 222 with the original 12hp engine in it wich i'm leaving stock and the other tractor i have is a case 220 wich i want to put a yanmar diesel of 10hp and a blower wich might get me from 15 to 20hp depending on how daring i am with boost and that tractor i don't care if i run strictly for exibition .I'm just out for the fun of engineering this stuff.I'll be checking with the guys at the Sherkston antique power display this weekend as i know they used to pull the garden tractors there the last time i went wich was two years ago.

#4 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 03:18 PM

Most clubs adopt the NQS Pulling rules for weight classes ect.You can check out their site for better info.

#5 bigal OFFLINE  

bigal

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 05:05 PM

I don't know what NQS means but from what i just looked up i'd be able to pull so that's all i'm concerned with so now that single cylinder supercharged diesel is on the drawing board officially.

#6 hydriv OFFLINE  

hydriv

Tractorholic

• Validating
  • Member No: 256
  • 70 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted July 01, 2011 - 05:19 PM

I don't know what NQS means but from what i just looked up i'd be able to pull so that's all i'm concerned with so now that single cylinder supercharged diesel is on the drawing board officially.

In order to determine whether either of your tractors will be able to pull or not, you have to first locate the Pulling Club that runs the event and obtain a full set of rules. Clubs often make up their own set of rules to suit themselves. You can build a tractor that is "legal" at their events but will be disqualified at an event run by another club. A wise man finds out what is needed before spending a dime or lifting a wrench.

http://www.nqspulling.org/

#7 Rick Brumback OFFLINE  

Rick Brumback

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4355
  • 19 Thanks
  • 124 posts

Posted July 02, 2011 - 09:19 AM

NQS.....National Quarter Scale.Garden tractors are quarter scale tractors,the Stahl family,Midwest Supercub run NQS.True while every club pulls with different rules the majority either use NQS Rules or a version with some NQS rules in there.Some clubs pulls smoke blowers,some dont.You cant just show up at a pull,unload nd pull.You need to research or talk to someone putting on the pull so you are aware of their rules ,classes ect.Good luck with your smok blower.You are welcome to check out my clubs site to get a idea f you want.www.commonwealthpullers.org

#8 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

venisonslayer128

• Member No: 5521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 09:52 PM

Acton fall fair website mini tractor pulls.. Acton is near Guelph.. where are you located?

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 12, 2011 - 11:34 PM

Please post pics or a video of the supercharged diesel. I gotta see it :D

#10 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 13, 2011 - 04:34 AM

Please post pics or a video of the supercharged diesel. I gotta see it :D

:ditto:

#11 bigal OFFLINE  

bigal

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted August 15, 2011 - 02:13 PM

This machine is not built yet it's an oncoming winter project.I have the engine the blower etc just need to design and build various mounts intake manifold blower drive pulley system etc.I'm sure you get the picture.I found some pulls going on near me a couple of weeks ago but they said we had to provide our own liability insurance.
I'm not going to spend money for ins to go and pull maybe 4 or 5 times a year.
Hell if nothing else i'll have a wicked sidewalk plowing machine.

#12 CdnSnowWhite OFFLINE  

CdnSnowWhite

• Member No: 7289
  • 3 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 05, 2011 - 08:31 PM

Welcome to the world of pulling . . .

Southern Ontario keeps my pullers busy by following the Acton pull boat but we have also occasionally been with the pull boat from the Drayton area.

As for insurance - we have never been asked for proof of insurance for our lawn tractor pullers. Can anyone shed some light on this insurance issue . . . I have come across it one time (for a show) but when talking to my insurance agent was told that lawn tractors fall under the umbrella of the house insurance policy ????

#13 hotya100 OFFLINE  

hotya100

• Member No: 1906
  • 8 Thanks
  • 32 posts

Posted November 07, 2011 - 01:24 PM

As for insurance - we have never been asked for proof of insurance for our lawn tractor pullers. Can anyone shed some light on this insurance issue . . . I have come across it one time (for a show) but when talking to my insurance agent was told that lawn tractors fall under the umbrella of the house insurance policy ????

Our club carries the insurance needed, paid with our membership fees. Most festivals, fairs, etc. require the club to have it and usually ask for a copy of the policy. I believe it is mainly liability insurance.

#14 venisonslayer128 OFFLINE  

venisonslayer128

• Member No: 5521
  • 0 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 08:00 AM

Liability insurance is $1M coverage, basically to cover everyone's backside. it is required as soon as you enter a venue here in Southern Ontario. Milton is very sticky on this in particular. When you said to your insurer you wanted to insure your garden tractor he expects it'll never leave your property in which case you are covered. in the case of pulling your not. I am unsure about club rules refering to Acton and club insurance I do know for a fact two of their venues require almost immediate proof as soon as you enter the park I'm talking just inside the entrance gate. I have 4 of mine insured for $100 for the year for our collector shows.

#15 junkman1946 OFFLINE  

junkman1946

• Member No: 4236
  • 6 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 03, 2011 - 09:21 PM

I don't know anything about liability ins. in Canada. Down here in the lower 48 we are covered for liability at Pulls for about $9.00 year thru Early Days Gas Engine and Tractor Assn. Inc. www.edgeta.org. Its a group policy type of plan.
Might be worth an E-Mail to see if they insure in Canada.