• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • Member No: 87742
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:23 PM

A tip for videos on this site is they have to be uploaded to YouTube first, then they will play from there without a issue on this site
Most forums do not accept video files directly and you will have to go thru YouTube as well

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, I don’t have a YouTube account.
  • James Bosma said thank you

#17 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,317 Thanks
  • 652 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:39 PM

I did see reading thru that some were able to download and watch your video and others couldn't

that's where YouTube makes it easy for all

Just have to love modern tech

Why couldn't things be like these old tractors, nice and simple

• Dspangler said thank you

#18 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,874 Thanks
  • 1,378 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:01 PM

So I checked the plugs, and both cylinders are firing because both exhausts from each cylinder get hot. So I guess I’ll get a new set of plugs and go from there.

Did you check exhaust temperature while it was running rough or after it had smoothed out? At first start it sounds like it is running on only one cylinder. I invested in the harbor freight non contact thermometer for about $19 on sale. it is great for checking exhaust temp.  If both sides are firing I don't see what it will help to replace the plugs. Once it starts running smooth i would expect the temp to be even. It"s when it is running rough it i would expect the temp to be different. Don. 

#19 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:02 PM

Did you check exhaust temperature while it was running rough or after it had smoothed out? At first start it sounds like it is running on only one cylinder. I invested in the harbor freight non contact thermometer for about $19 on sale. it is great for checking exhaust temp. If both sides are firing I don't see what it will help to replace the plugs. Once it starts running smooth i would expect the temp to be even. It"s when it is running rough it i would expect the temp to be different. Don.

While it was idling (rough) I was feeling the pipes and they were both warming up pretty evenly.
  • secondtry said thank you

#20 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:14 PM

I noticed that while running, the fuel filter isn’t full of fuel. Yet, there’s plenty of fuel in the tank. Isn’t the fuel filter supposed to be full of fuel during running? Could the rough running possibly be a fuel pump issue?

#21 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,874 Thanks
  • 1,378 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:45 PM

While it was idling (rough) I was feeling the pipes and they were both warming up pretty evenly.

If you start it up and leave it at idle does it keep running rough or will it straighten out  in a while. Observe the throttle shaft while it is running rough and when it smooth, is it in the same position, is the position steady. It could be the carburetor idle circuit/adjustment is not right causing the pour idling then when you increase the RPM the high speed circuit takes over and it smooths out. Most of the equipment I own has trapped air in the fuel filter. so long as there is fuel coming out of the fuel line at the carburetor it makes no difference. All the engine cares is it gets fuel. I forgot to ask have you checked the manuals section (third tab from the left top of this page) You may find an engine manual there with trouble shooting instructions, John Deere is very protective of their manuals so you will not find a tractor manual there. If both plugs are firing consistently. You have only fuel air mixture, compression and  timing left to check   Don   

#22 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 09:52 PM

If you start it up and leave it at idle does it keep running rough or will it straighten out in a while. Observe the throttle shaft while it is running rough and when it smooth, is it in the same position, is the position steady. It could be the carburetor idle circuit/adjustment is not right causing the pour idling then when you increase the RPM the high speed circuit takes over and it smooths out. Most of the equipment I own has trapped air in the fuel filter. so long as there is fuel coming out of the fuel line at the carburetor it makes no difference. All the engine cares is it gets fuel. I forgot to ask have you checked the manuals section (third tab from the left top of this page) You may find an engine manual there with trouble shooting instructions, John Deere is very protective of their manuals so you will not find a tractor manual there. If both plugs are firing consistently. You have only fuel air mixture, compression and timing left to check Don

I will have to work on this again tomorrow as it’s 9:45 here now and I don’t want to annoy the neighbors! My fear is possibly compression. I do not have a compression tester yet (possibly pickin one up this weekend). I was able to download an onan manual for the engine. As for the air fuel mixture, considering this engine is a ‘99, I have to assume it has the non-adjustable carb. Now timing, what are the steps to checking that?

#23 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,874 Thanks
  • 1,378 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 10:02 PM

I will have to work on this again tomorrow as it’s 9:45 here now and I don’t want to annoy the neighbors! My fear is possibly compression. I do not have a compression tester yet (possibly pickin one up this weekend). I was able to download an onan manual for the engine. As for the air fuel mixture, considering this engine is a ‘99, I have to assume it has the non-adjustable carb. Now timing, what are the steps to checking that?

The manual should have that information. All of mine are much older so I haven't kept up. Don

#24 Bob White12 ONLINE  

Bob White12
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 88445
  • 132 Thanks
  • 132 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 04:38 PM

did you get it to run smooth yet??? if you still haven't I think it might be the carb idle circuit there is usually two tiny holes right by the butterfly then when you open the throttle up up starts using the main jet and works fine. but I don't know your carb but it but it also sounds like spark

#25 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 28, 2017 - 11:10 PM

did you get it to run smooth yet??? if you still haven't I think it might be the carb idle circuit there is usually two tiny holes right by the butterfly then when you open the throttle up up starts using the main jet and works fine. but I don't know your carb but it but it also sounds like spark

I haven’t got it quite there yet. I’m going to attempt to take off the carb this weekend to try and do a thorough cleaning.

#26 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 03:24 PM

UPDATE: I rented a compresssion tester from autozone and check both cylinders. Both came out to between 65 and 67 psi after 3 separate cranks on each. Per my manual, the psi for the P216G motor is between 75-115. And new plugs only helped it start quicker, same issue at idle though. I am putting off removing the carb for as long as possible for now as I do not have a gasket kit for reinstall and won’t have the money for that until after Christmas.

#27 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,092 Thanks
  • 31,402 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 07:33 PM

UPDATE: I rented a compresssion tester from autozone and check both cylinders. Both came out to between 65 and 67 psi after 3 separate cranks on each. Per my manual, the psi for the P216G motor is between 75-115. And new plugs only helped it start quicker, same issue at idle though. I am putting off removing the carb for as long as possible for now as I do not have a gasket kit for reinstall and won’t have the money for that until after Christmas.

That's pretty low.  I like to see them a minimum of 90psi.

#28 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 07:56 PM

That's pretty low. I like to see them a minimum of 90psi.

Agreed. At first, I was thinking rings. But, upon inspection of the spark plugs, I noticed carbon almost baked onto the spark plug. That leads me to think possible valve issues..?

#29 JD318420 OFFLINE  

JD318420
  • Member No: 79598
  • 65 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 08:05 PM

Check for egging on the cylinders, now for Onans or the twin horizontal style.

• Leonard VanCamp and Dspangler have said thanks

#30 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted December 02, 2017 - 08:30 PM

Check for egging on the cylinders, now for Onans or the twin horizontal style.

What is ‘egging on the cylinders’?