• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • Member No: 87742
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys, check out my video below and let me know your thoughts. It’s a 1987 JD 316 with a 1999 p216g motor.

Attached Files

Edited by Dspangler, November 26, 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#2 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:24 PM

Video

Attached Files

#3 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:26 PM

Ok, so I don’t know why my video won’t upload, but I’ll try to explain the best that I can. It almost sounds like it’s running on one cylinder at idle. When I get it just past half throttle, it smooths out. Then when I bring it down, it idles OK. Any thoughts guys?

#4 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • Member No: 83632
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:48 PM

Video worked for me. Is it the same every time. could be as simple as a plug fowling out at low speed start then then firing at higher rpm to clean up. Possibly running rich at idle startup. I would check/replace the plugs to start. Start cold and feel the exhaust If one side is not firing the temperature difference will be apparent quickly. If you find one side dead swap the plugs and see if the problem moves with the plug. good luck.    Don 

• Dspangler said thank you

#5 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:52 PM

Video worked for me. Is it the same every time. could be as simple as a plug fowling out at low speed start then then firing at higher rpm to clean up. Possibly running rich at idle startup. I would check/replace the plugs to start. Start cold and feel the exhaust If one side is not firing the temperature difference will be apparent quickly. If you find one side dead swap the plugs and see if the problem moves with the plug. good luck. Don

Thanks Don! It has new spark plugs (probably an hour of total run time on them) and a fresh oil change. It is missing the air cleaner. Could this be part of the problem as well?
  • secondtry said thank you

#6 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:12 PM

New plugs does not equate to good plugs. I have pulled several out of the box defective. I don't see how lack of an air cleaner would cause this problem. Why were the plugs replaced. What did the old plugs look like. You could run at idle for a bit, Shut it down and pull the plugs immediately and check condition. Don 

#7 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:19 PM

When I picked up the tractor, the previous owner stated it hadn’t had a tuneup In a while. So I did the plugs/oil/oil filter/hydro oil/filter and replaced the old gas. I wasn’t sure if not having an air cleaner could cause issues with these Onans. I’m strictly a briggs single cylinder guy, but this tractor was practically given to me.

#8 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 41,148 Thanks
  • 31,416 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:19 PM

I downloaded the video but it won't play.

#9 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:21 PM

Please see my post from above about the video not working for me and me attempting to explain what my engine is doing. Thanks!

#10 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:23 PM

I am not exactly sure on your engine but I believe it is the one with a single coil with two plug wires coming out. If it both plugs fire on every revolution. One on compression stroke and the other on exhaust stroke. I would do the plug swap as I mentioned before and see if the dead cylinder moved with the plug. If not swap the plug wires and try again. then the sides of the coil. If none of this moves the dead cylinder you have about eliminated the ignition as the problem. That leaves fuel/air delivery and compression as I see it. Don  

• olcowhand and Dspangler have said thanks

#11 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:25 PM

I down loaded it and played it just fine on VLC.    Don

#12 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:25 PM

I am not exactly sure on your engine but I believe it is the one with a single coil with two plug wires coming out. If it both plugs fire on every revolution. One on compression stroke and the other on exhaust stroke. I would do the plug swap as I mentioned before and see if the dead cylinder moved with the plug. If not swap the plug wires and try again. then the sides of the coil. If none of this moves the dead cylinder you have about eliminated the ignition as the problem. That leaves fuel/air delivery and compression as I see it. Don

Thanks for your help Don. I will work on trying the plug/wires swap and go from there.

#13 secondtry OFFLINE  

secondtry
  • 1,892 Thanks
  • 1,386 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 06:31 PM

When I picked up the tractor, the previous owner stated it hadn’t had a tuneup In a while. So I did the plugs/oil/oil filter/hydro oil/filter and replaced the old gas. I wasn’t sure if not having an air cleaner could cause issues with these Onans. I’m strictly a briggs single cylinder guy, but this tractor was practically given to me.

The lack of an air filter can cause issues with running. On my Onan 18 hp if i try to run without the air filter at idle it will spit gas all over the top of the engine. Runs just fine but makes me think it will go up in a ball of fire at any second. Don

• WHdbJD and Dspangler have said thanks

#14 Dspangler OFFLINE  

Dspangler
  • 16 Thanks
  • 57 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:09 PM

The lack of an air filter can cause issues with running. On my Onan 18 hp if i try to run without the air filter at idle it will spit gas all over the top of the engine. Runs just fine but makes me think it will go up in a ball of fire at any second. Don

So I checked the plugs, and both cylinders are firing because both exhausts from each cylinder get hot. So I guess I’ll get a new set of plugs and go from there.
  • secondtry said thank you

#15 James Bosma OFFLINE  

James Bosma
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 76126
  • 1,326 Thanks
  • 655 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:20 PM

A tip for videos on this site is they have to be uploaded to YouTube first, then they will play from there without a issue on this site

Most forums do not accept video files directly and you will have to go thru YouTube as well