• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 queball OFFLINE  

queball
  • Member No: 71670
  • 8 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 12:49 AM

Hi all. I have been having some starting problems. Now and then, when I turn the switch to start this beast it will just click and not turn over the starter. I will turn the switch on and off a few times then the starter will engage. Battery is new. Clean cables. Wondering if it could be the starter relay. Has anyone here had this problem with their super ? Would appreciate and help getting this problem fixed. Thank you!!  Jeff.

• Mark 149 J. said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 36,514 Thanks
  • 44,966 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 05:41 AM

Could be the switch is not making good contact in the start position.

• queball said thank you

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 1,367 Thanks
  • 1,503 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 08:51 AM

starter solenoid ? 

#4 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 2,130 Thanks
  • 2,845 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 10:11 AM

have had some issues with corrosion on starter terminals lately, mostly at switch terminals.   what does that machine have for idiot proofing? (safety switches)  could be an issue there.

• queball said thank you

#5 diesel nut OFFLINE  

diesel nut
  • Member No: 7572
  • 679 Thanks
  • 417 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 10:37 AM

When the click happens try putting 12 volts right to the small spade terminal on the starter.  If the starter engages then the best way to fix it I've found is to take a standard lawn and garden solenoid and put it in.  It needs to be one that has 2 big terminals an 1 little terminal.  To install it you mount the solenoid out of the way near the starter if possible making sure its grounded where it mounts, then unhook the wire with the spade terminal on the engine solenoid that activates the starter and put it on the small terminal of the second solenoid you just installed.  Next take a 10-12 gauge wire and run it from the positive on the battery to a big terminal on the second solenoid and a wire from the other big terminal there to the spade terminal on the engine solenoid.  That way when you turn the key to start it you now get a full 12 volts right to the starter.  This was a fix I was given at work right from the Cub Cadet technical department years ago as a fix for the same issue on the 7000 series compact tractors.  Apparently the click when trying to start happens when the wiring gets old and builds up resistance internally causing the voltage to the starter to drop enough so it no longer activates.  I've done this modification to probably 8 or 9 compact tractors plus a 2182 that was doing it and they all work great now.  Hope this helps.                             Stewart

• queball and Mark 149 J. have said thanks

#6 EricR OFFLINE  

EricR
  • Member No: 9495
  • 593 Thanks
  • 380 posts

Posted November 26, 2017 - 11:01 AM

When the click happens try putting 12 volts right to the small spade terminal on the starter.  If the starter engages then the best way to fix it I've found is to take a standard lawn and garden solenoid and put it in.  It needs to be one that has 2 big terminals an 1 little terminal.  To install it you mount the solenoid out of the way near the starter if possible making sure its grounded where it mounts, then unhook the wire with the spade terminal on the engine solenoid that activates the starter and put it on the small terminal of the second solenoid you just installed.  Next take a 10-12 gauge wire and run it from the positive on the battery to a big terminal on the second solenoid and a wire from the other big terminal there to the spade terminal on the engine solenoid.  That way when you turn the key to start it you now get a full 12 volts right to the starter.  This was a fix I was given at work right from the Cub Cadet technical department years ago as a fix for the same issue on the 7000 series compact tractors.  Apparently the click when trying to start happens when the wiring gets old and builds up resistance internally causing the voltage to the starter to drop enough so it no longer activates.  I've done this modification to probably 8 or 9 compact tractors plus a 2182 that was doing it and they all work great now.  Hope this helps.                             Stewart

is.

I have done 3 super cubs with this method and has not failed me yet...
  • queball said thank you